• This topic has 17 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • old steel road frame? yay or nay?
  • alpin
    Free Member

ok, i’m not a roadie. i detest groups of lycra clad nonces…err… cyclists ( :wink:) and don’t want to join their ranks.

… but i do quite like the idea of jumping on my bike for an hour or two in the evening and burning off a few beers/pig leg/brezen.

i don’t like carbon and i don’t care how many gramms i can save using “x” cranks and “y” wheels. i’m not a weight weenie.

trawling through ebay last night i found this (steel roadie). looks like it could be what i need to get rolling.

yay or nay?

or rather i’m 5’7″. is a 50cm frame too small for me? i like small bikes with knobbly tyres.

yay or nay?

cheers

brassneck

I reckon thats a bit small, and for similar money you could pick up an alloy framed, carbon forked road bike.

alpin
    Free Member

not really fussed about alu frames; what’s the advantage over steel?
    much prefer the look of the old steel frames.

brassneck

Bit lighter probably. Don’t notice any reduction in comfort as for British roads I find 25mm tyres better anyway. Don’t rust if you ignore them in your shed.
    If you want a steel one for aesthetic reasons then go for it (though not necessarily that one), but there seem to be a lot of hipster wannabees spending silly money on any old shed with horizontal ish drop outs just because it’s steel, thus reducing the bargains to be had.
    If you just want a cheap, usable road bike to get out on then don’t discount the 2nd hand alloy market, that’s all. I would try and get carbon forks if possible though, alloy forks are noticeably more harsh even to a dimwit like me.

dannybgoode

Generally sound advice there from brassneck and agree 50cm is too small.

That said I would always go for a steel frame with steel forks – love the way a really good one rides.

But, if you’re just getting in to the whole roadie thing then looking at alloy ones is a good shout as it broadens you market and if you find you like the whole road experience there’s nothing stopping you hunting down your dream road ride.

Cheers

Danny B

scottfitz
    Free Member
    breatheeasy
    Free Member

If you just want to bunn a few calories up then just go out on your mtb. Yes, you won’t be as fast. Yes, you won’t got as far but you’ll be doing a hour or twos exercise.

brack
    Free Member

Scottfitz I will take that bike mate. Where are you I see Goodwood in one of your flickr pics

scottfitz
    Free Member

Near emsworth, are you near by? PM Me (in profile)

brack
    Free Member

Chichester

brack
    Free Member

Im 5ft 9 what height are you?

brack
    Free Member

Scott you have a pm

scottfitz
    Free Member

YGM

alpin
    Free Member

hey! don’t hijack my thread! 🙂

i would, too, scott, except i’m in germany….

scottfitz
    Free Member

hey! don’t hijack my thread!

i would, too, scott, except i’m in germany….

Sorry 8)

Give retro bike a look
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/ 😉

brack
    Free Member

No mail yet scott

scottfitz
    Free Member

Rich email me your number and I will text, I have sent you 2 email

OCB
    Free Member

50cm will probably be too small, but ‘yay’ in principle – older steel frames can be great. I do most of my road miles on my ’92 MBK HPF frame (albeit with more recent components, and somewhat wider gearing than it originally had), and I find it’s very comfortable, even on it’s mismatched low end wheels. You might find some stuff a bit of a challenge to service / match up, but if you can live with compromises you’ll be fine.

(Friction shifting will get you out of almost anything! 😛 )

Granted, I am a bit of a flat-earther about bicycles, but I do love the feel of a good, well thought-out steel frame. Indifferent steel frames are out there too tho’ – so good luck picking through them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘old steel road frame? yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.