Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I need a bikeable smartphone – any suggestions?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

The primary (mandatory) criteria are:
    1. Good wifi (to communicate at long-ish range with a Sony action camera)
    2. Android (high enough version to use Sony camera app)
    3. GPS (for MM, Strava, Endomondo)
    4. Expandable memory (for map management)
    5. Expandable battery (for weekends away from electricity)

Secondary criteria:
    6. Weatherproof
    7. Cheap to buy secondhand
    8. Rugged-ish
    9. Can sync with pc with xp pro 2

It will only be a second phone and have a payg sim for emergencies. I currently have a Note which is cumbersome and has very poor wifi.

Suggest away!

freddyg
    Free Member

2nd hand HTC Desire with a case should tick that box. Root it and all your storage/space worries go away too.

Cougar

There’s a semi-ruggedised Motorola if memory serves.

Either that or get an Otterbox for your device of choice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rockhopperbike

just got a samsung xcover 2, waterproof version of a galaxy i think- £230 sim free

GrahamS

For points 6 and 8: just stick it in a decent case. I run my iPhone on my bars in a pretty cheap (£25) UltimateAddons case and it’s fine despite being dropped several times and doing a winter commuting through rain and snow.

GrahamS

One thing feature might want to look for in a new phone is support for Bluetooth Smart (or ANT+, but Bluetooth is more likely).

That’ll give you the option of pairing with HRMs, cadence sensors and other gadgets.

feenster
    Free Member

Sony X-Peria Go has a water resistance and durable ratings.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I run my iPhone on my bars in a pretty cheap (£25) UltimateAddons case

I’ve had a couple of those. the zip isn’t waterproof and splits after a while, the plastic front goes brittle and cracks in very coldconditions, and the bar mount is bulky. I trimmed the mount down to clamp it on my stem which tidied it up a bit, but its not ideal.

Now using one of these:

Haven’t tested it in bad weather yet, but it holds the phone out of the way, yet still accesible, and it was dead cheap!

GrahamS

I’ve had a couple of those. the zip isn’t waterproof and splits after a while

I didn’t use the zip one – that looked crap – I use the plastic shell with rubber insert one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0089VQC18

Tried combining it with an external battery stowed in a Topeak Tri-Bag (bit like yours) at the weekend. That worked pretty well. Meant I was able to run it all day and still have the phone at 100% charge.

kimbers

motorola do a mini defy (toughened splashproof etc) for 70 odd quid at argos etc, not sure if its that its version of android will be up to date enough

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

There’s a semi-ruggedised Motorola if memory serves.

Defy? There is a mk2 now, but the original, which seems to tick all the other boxes, uses an older and non-upgradeable Android.
    FWIW, it’s spent around 20 minutes rattling about the bottom of a RIB at speed on salt water, left on top of a 4*4 and fell off (onto mud though not tarmac), and been left out in the rain overnight. Still good.

monkeyp

I have a Defy

Yes it is rugged, but it is the most hateful horrid pile of …. to use

Deveron53
    Free Member

Some good ideas there, thanks.

HTC Desire will be looked into.

Idea: I could sell my Note and get a Desire and have money left to get a tablet.
    Any decent 7 inch tablets with wifi, 3g and sd card slots for under £150?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I need a bikeable smartphone – any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.