Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Old glass bottle collectors
  • jimmy

Anyone here collect old glass bottles? My dad has had a couple in the garage for as long as I’ve known (40+ years) and I’m keen they don’t just get recycled if anyone could find value in them.

Glass https://imgur.com/a/SjkaNCe

globalti
    Free Member

The second bottle is a Codd bottle, so-called because the marble seal thing was invented by somebody called Mr Codd, for selling his ginger beer, hence the name codswallop. The bottles are rare because kids used to smash them to get the marbles but you will still find plenty in pubs and museums.

The separate top is a clue to the age of the bottle and whether it was hand blown or machine made.

sarawak
    Free Member

I’ve sort of played around with bottles. Got a few here from local, but long gone, manufacturers. Got a couple of interesting screw stoppers as well. I collect them because I just like them, not for any historical, or monetary purposes. I have looked at giving them to a local historical society, but they don’t seem to exist round here, and the only one I can find is run by a guy out of his shed. I’d rather have my bottles on display – even if only I can see them.
    They are an interesting bit of history. A bit left of centre, and I’m like that. I also collect old track spikes from disused Welsh slate quarries!!! Must admit I do clean them and paint them red and white for Wales. They make a nice collection. Lots of memories of the days exploring semi dangerous workings.
    As you may guess I’m a collector of totally useless artifacts!

Something else…I also have a collection of the various weights that banks used to have on their counters for weighing various bags of coin. Every coin, and every bag had a different weight. The brass ones polish up nicely

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mum had hundreds that she found after a local farmer did some drain reclamation. There mustv’e been a dump therabouts. I inherited them but gave them all away! There was a load for sale at a curio shop I called in a few months back but none of them were going for much, £1/£2 apeice for the Codds (or ‘pop-alleys as we used to call them)

mooman
    Free Member

Yes the pop-alleys we knew them as too.
    I remember digging them up as a kid and collecting the marbles. You see them on ebay for less than a tenner.

Rich_s

My mum’s got a collection. Most is “worth” buttons apart from the poison ones (blue or green).

Many happy hours diving into old tips to collect them!

globalti
    Free Member

Digging the foundations for our new factory in Manchester they unearthed a big bottle dump; every employee ended up carting loads of old bottles and earthenware jars home for the window sill.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Old glass bottle collectors’ is closed to new replies.