Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Old crown race … will I die?
  • stevextc
    Free Member

I just swapped forks around… stuck my Revelations back on the T-130 and the Pikes on my new to me Nukeproof Mega 275.  Eager to have a go… I tried the crown race from the FSA Orbit and it all seems to fit and rotate nicely…

Did a couple of rides… though nothing major yet..

I just had a 160mm airshaft (with debonaire) delivered… so the chance is there to mess.  The last crown race I fitted using an old glue/bath sealant tube with the end cut off… but I don’t have one to hand so I’ll have to bodge it somehow.

Should I try and change it for the proper one or leave the one in place?

submarined
    Free Member

Wait, there’s a method to fit crown races that doesn’t mostly involve hammers and screwdrivers?

Just fit the right one. Angles of bearing interfaces etc may well be different.

legend
    Free Member

Cut a slot in the race and you’ll never have to worry about a bashing tool again

stevextc
    Free Member

Cut a slot in the race and you’ll never have to worry about a bashing tool again

The Nuke proof one has a slot… 😀

I’ve never fitted one that had one before so wasn’t sure how much difference it would make.

Due to a sale I got both new headsets for £12 each…. which seems cheaper than trying to buy new bearings and the seal had gone missing on the top one… so I even have a spare race (have the one came with the frame)… so sounds like a no-brainer…

weeksy

fitting i just tap gently in rotation with a rubber mallet.

removing i have a proper tool.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just fit the right one. Angles of bearing interfaces etc may well be different.

Either 36 or 45 degrees no?

Many are cross-compatible. But no harm in fitting the one made for the headset.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Old crown race … will I die?’ is closed to new replies.