Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • OK to drop "Elite Rider" call and replace with just "Strava"?
  • dashed
    Free Member

Obviously I’m reet good and don’t like people getting in my way at the best of times when riding, but it doesn’t half get up one’s nose when you’re on for a dead cert KOM and bumblies in front slow you down. I’m assuming that under such circumstances it is perfectly acceptable etiquette to ditch the normal call of “Elite rider coming through” and simply shout “Strava”?

continuity
    Free Member

I suggest you should yell “The internet told me that I have an enormous cock and I’m capable of using it in a threatening manner”.

It equates to the same thing. But it’s not quite as snappy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When you get back, you can tell all your friends…

Dude, I Strava’d that motherf@*ker!

(Link to source…! 😉 )

dashed
    Free Member

Removes tongue from cheek…

cookeaa

Removes tongue from cheek…

Who’s cheek and at which end?

cookeaa

I think shouting either will have the desired effect, assuming the desired effect is marking you out as a bit of a Bellend…

TBH if you really want to get by it’s more useful shouting “on your Left or Right” (delete as applicable) at least then they have a chance of knowing where you’ll be…

Plus I’m not sure how universal knowledge of strava is yet, some people might think they’re being attacked from behind by maurauding Italian trail-centre pirates…

DrP

I just kick ’em to the dirt “Road rash” style as I zoom past, shouting “train harder loooooser” as they wipe tears and my dust from their eyes…..

DrP

bentudder

Throw your water bottle at them, like TdF sprinter in a snit. No UCI Commissaires around to see and ban you.

Duggan

I’m thinking of starting a campaign to ban everyone from bridleways and footpaths unless they are attempting a Strava KOM.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the cry should also be the equivalent of an emergency siren when in urban areas, so you can breeze through zebras and red lights without incident.

wwaswas

I thought I was on for a KOM on a local segment last night.

But then it turned out I’m rubbish so it didn’t happen.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’m thinking of starting a campaign to ban everyone from bridleways and footpaths unless they are attempting a Strava KOM.

I’m thinking of the opposite.

hugor
    Free Member

“Strava Run!!!” You may be joking but this is actually happening alot in many Aus trails.
    Most of the trails there are actually bidirectional and the whole debate about climbing/descending rider priority comes up too.
    I’m sure many KOM’s will be broken in the next 2 months and the holder will probably keep his prize till next year.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Throw your water bottle at them, like TdF sprinter in a snit.”

Get it right man, it’s a Bidon ! 🙄

geoffj

Renshaw stylee headbutting is the only way.

zerocool

If someone shouted something like that while I was doing my best I’d probably ignore them. If it’s at a trail centre they should be more polite. The trails are for everyone to enjoy equally. It might ruin your run to come across a slower rider, but equally it might ruin their run to have someone hammer up behind them shouting stuff.

Maybe if you’re trying to set a new world record or whatever a KOM is then doing at an off peak time would be best (before 0700 and after 2200 maybe).

sssimon
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcjoWL6hJg8[/video]

tracknicko
    Free Member

can’t help but think (as i said on day 1 of strava) that it works for road, but not really for off road.

not least because trail conditions vary from day to day considerably.

would be easy enough to require routes to clip to road locations on maps, thus implement an off road ban on strava.

wwaswas

I’d rather they implemented a road ban – there’s enough red light running without Strava encouraging it.

It’s a tool, how and when people choose to use it is down to them as individuals, surely?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get it right man, it’s a Bidon !

ohh dear, what have I started!

it works for road, but not really for off road…………..trail conditions vary from day to day considerably…………..implement an off road ban on strava.

With excuses like that have you considdered a career as a racing driver?

LapSteel
    Free Member

I strava’d up the road last night like a man possessed!

I’m now 29th 😀 woo hoo

Quite like using Strava off road for finding local routes that I haven’t tried yet

philconsequence
    Free Member

If someone shouted something like that while I was doing my best I’d probably ignore them. If it’s at a trail centre they should be more polite. The trails are for everyone to enjoy equally. It might ruin your run to come across a slower rider, but equally it might ruin their run to have someone hammer up behind them shouting stuff.

i’d like to think i’d ignore them as i agree with you 100%, but realistically its no bother for me to hop over to the side of the trail and let someone faster through 🙂 its not going to ruin my day and i’d have a chance to shout ‘GO ON MY SON!!!’ like a chav as they raced past.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You said it yourself, they’re there to enjoy, for 90% of people that involves riding them as fast as they’re capable/comortable, so why not pull over and let them enjoy it equaly? Or does the act of puling over ruin it? In which case I’d have to start thinking about why it was doing that, was it becasue my flow/zen had been interupted (just like theirs is/was by being slowed down) or because I took it as some kind of affront to my manhood (in which case I’d suggest taking up knitting or something with no element of competition)?

If I hear someone approaching I’ll speed up, if they continue to catch me I’ll pull over or call out which line I’m taking so they can take another round me, it just seems the polite thing to do? None of this “I’m enjoying myself, stuff anyone behind me”. Equaly if I was following someone I’d expect them to pull over in the unliklely event they’re slower, but I’d not get all anghsty if they didn’t.

cookeaa

can’t help but think (as i said on day 1 of strava) that it works for road, but not really for off road.

not least because trail conditions vary from day to day considerably.

would be easy enough to require routes to clip to road locations on maps, thus implement an off road ban on strava.

I think it’s perfect for MTBing of all sorts, but like I said a KOM is just a gauge of your performance against your peers it’s not a proper race so what does it really matter ultimately?

Worrying that prevailing trail conditions or traffic will affect your KOM attempt? Just screams that someone has massively out of whack priorities to me…

randomjeremy
    Free Member

(in which case I’d suggest taking up knitting or something with no element of competition)?

Do you think you’re in competition with other riders?

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think spoon sums things up nicely for me. Nowt wrong with going flat out on a trail, and trying to get a PB/Kom or whatever. But ultimately the time is secondary to not being an arse to others on the trail. Likewise, I’ve come across just as many slower inconsiderate folks who don’t pull over to one side as those who think they are the next incarnation of Jon Tomac.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do you think you’re in competition with other riders?

nope, if it was a competition it’d be elbows out and no passing 😛 my point was that if someone comes up behind you (and is therefore presumably faster), what reason is there for not letting them past as soon as reasnobly practical? I was questioning zerocools statement that having someone overtake “might ruin their [the overtakees] run“.

RustySpanner

When I am elected Grand Ruler of the Earth and environs (and let’s face it, it’s only a matter of time), I shall ban cycling with GPS’s, smart phones, iPods and those bloody stupid alitimeter watches that tell you what star sign your chainrings are.

There will be signs ever 50 yards on recreational trails stating ‘It’s not a race, slow down and enjoy yourself’. Marshalls will be stationed by the signs to ensure you ARE enjoying yourself, even if you aren’t. 😐

If it IS a race, anyone failing to say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ on passing another rider will be dragged off the trail and beaten severely, but politely.

If caught with an unecessary electronic gadget, a fat person will be employed to jump up and down on it till you cry.

It’s for the best, trust me.

dashed
    Free Member

Original post was laced with much irony, but I can seriously see this happening somewhere soon. Strava is taking over the world I tell thee!!!

alex222
    Free Member

can’t help but think that it works for road, but not really for off road

Because there is no such thing as mtb KOM (to my knowledge).

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I love strava, but even before I got it I rode every section as fast as I could, why wouldn’t you?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because there is no such thing as mtb KOM (to my knowledge).

In fairness the KOM isn’t strictly being applied corectly on the road either, it’s for the first rider up the hill, not the fastest, otherwise there’d be no point in breakwaways on the approach to hills, it’d always be faster to start from the back of the groups and slipstream through to the front, thus doing the climb the fastest.

Maybe they’ll expand it to change some segments into sprinter’s jersy’s and the off road downhils to black gillets (WC leader, we don’t really have a non UCI competition like roadies do)?

MrGreedy

Question for the Strava users: are you aware there are these things called *races* that you can enter to see who’s the fastest at riding a bike? 😉 Admittedly you can’t stop for a fag after each segment in those…

hexhamstu
    Free Member

MrGreedy you realise that Strava is used by most as a bit of a laugh with your mates, a bit of healthy competition. SOME people take it to far. I don’t ever push past people on a trail or make a fuss if they don’t pull over.

Yes there are races and I could enter, but I can’t really be bothered, I just enjoy knowing how fast I went round every time I go round. People enjoy different aspects of mountain biking. Who really gives a shit?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Question for the Strava users: are you aware there are these things called *races* that you can enter to see who’s the fastest at riding a bike? Admittedly you can’t stop for a fag after each segment in those…

yea, but they cost money, and require being in a certain place at a certain time, I can strava from my back door and do it whenever I please. You may as well turn upto a race and tell everyone they could use strava (in reality they probably do). Raceign gives a different buzz though, there’s no overtaking in Strava

tpbiker
    Free Member

yep…but until someone orgainises a race down my favourite stretch of local downhill strava will have to do! 🙂

In all seriousness however, for someone relatively new to biking (did it in my teens years ago) I have been reluctant to enter any races as I have no idea of the standards. I think strava gives you a rough idea of your ability level and would certainly give me a bit more confidence to enter an event knowing that I won’t arrive at the finish to find the medals already awarded and the marshalls packing up the course.

A mentioned previously, as long you’re not a dick about it, whats the harm..?

alex222
    Free Member

In fairness the KOM isn’t strictly being applied corectly on the road either, it’s for the first rider up the hill, not the fastest, otherwise there’d be no point in breakwaways on the approach to hills, it’d always be faster to start from the back of the groups and slipstream through to the front, thus doing the climb the fastest.

When have you ever seen someone in the back of the peleton ride all the way through the peleton and then off the front to the leading group? The people who get to the top first generally will have ridden to the top quickest.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you got me recycling old posts here

mikewsmith – Member
    As above

Rule 1 don’t be a dick
    adding
    Rule 2 don’t blame technology for a human beings failings
    and
    Rule 3
    If you are going to be a dick don’t shout about it on the internet

These threads sound like the Daily Fail some days

yawn

jwmlee
    Free Member

Nothing like the competitive spirit to get people to act in irrational (and sometimes rude) ways.

This Strava business sure is fun though!

theflatboy
    Free Member

alex222 – Member

When have you ever seen someone in the back of the peleton ride all the way through the peleton and then off the front to the leading group? The people who get to the top first generally will have ridden to the top quickest.

his point being that if the honour went to “quickest” not “first”, that tactic would likely emerge.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘OK to drop "Elite Rider" call and replace with just "Strava"?’ is closed to new replies.