Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Officers down :o(
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

The ‘person’ the two officers tried to arrest turned himself in at a police station soon afterwards according to the BBC. So he resisted arrest to the extent two officers were killed, then gave himself up.

An awesome individual.

loddrik
    Free Member

I am a chauvinist, probably, but I can live with that and the wife takes no notice.

My point being that a suspect who has a history of violence, known to use weapons and likely to use them, presented with a one on one a woman is far less likely to be able to defend herself. Plus the consequences if she has children are even more devastating. Ok male officers have kids too but as someone who lost my mum early in life I can only comment on that aspect.

I certainly wouldn’t want my wife or daughters put in that situation regardless of job requirements, I’d expect male colleagues to be first through the door.

We all know that my views differ from many on here but lets not turn this thread into a slanging match….

franksinatra

Edit, just ignore me, didn’t realise this had been posted above

IanMunro
    Free Member

My point being that a suspect who has a history of violence, known to use weapons and likely to use them, presented with a one on one a woman is far less likely to be able to defend herself

But by your own thought processes, they’d also then be far less likely to be assaulted by said man because it’s apparently in our nature to protect them.
    But as you say this should really be moved to another thread.

philconsequence
    Free Member

If a moderator would like to email me regarding this, I would appreciate it.

you are fredrudeboysafety and i claim my 50p

project
    Free Member

So very sad for the officers families and their freinds/colegues etc.

Both doing a job they enjoyed, depite the lack of thanks at times from members of us the public.

hora
    Free Member

Regardless of whether its safe or not- they responded and went into a situation. I’d class them as brave. Many a time folk may have done a risk assesment/waited and let someone get away. However we don’t know the full story yet. The news reports that there was shots fired before- thats not gospel. Its a news report probably repeated from a eye witness/more likely overhead from someone.

kimbers

according to the guardian

The officers, both of whom were unarmed, were attending a “routine incident” in Hattersley, Tameside, shortly before 11am on Tuesday when shots were reportedly fired.

atlaz
    Free Member

Ok male officers have kids too but as someone who lost my mum early in life I can only comment on that aspect.

Lodrick – Having spent a childhood watching a father go off to work, sometimes knowingly to very dangerous situations, then hearing about dead or injured officers on the news, knowing that the media usually reported before the families were told; I can tell you that it’s shit and it’s nothing to do with gender.

There is no “right” parent to lose. I can assure you that had my mother been hospitalised on several occasions in the line of her work, I’d have felt no worse that when my father was.

I appreciate you lost a parent in early life but can you honestly say you feel you’d have been happier/better off if your father had passed away?

These were courageous women engaged in what is frequently thankless and difficult job. They paid the ultimate price, like many in public service do, so that the rest of us can be kept from harms way. My gratitude always goes to these people and my sympathies to their families and friends.

eruptron
    Free Member

loddrik – Member
    I am a chauvinist, probably, but I can live with that and the wife takes no notice.
    My point being that a suspect who has a history of violence, known to use weapons and likely to use them, presented with a one on one a woman is far less likely to be able to defend herself.
    BBC. News reported that they were attending a routine call and have obviously stumbled upon something more sinister.
    Are you suggesting that only police officer without any family and are old should attend in case they die. Some very odd views on here
    Sad day these ladies are the real heroes in society RIP

Kato

RIP Manchester colleagues

gravitysucks
    Free Member

They were attending a routine incident Loddrick. Would you prefer it if there were no female officers and every parking violation and such was attended my an armed officer?

Just another reminder of how people can take for granted what situations these officers can walk into at anytime.

I’ve just finished my training as a special so wil be operational and on the streets in a weeks time. Something like this is a real eye opener.

RIP Girls x

philconsequence
    Free Member

These were courageous women engaged in what is frequently thankless and difficult job. They paid the ultimate price, like many in public service do, so that the rest of us can be kept from harms way. My gratitude always goes to these people and my sympathies to their families and friends.

+1

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Im not sure that being male would’ve protected them from a grenade or infact a bullet

[not that farmer john’s bothered hes just sees it as an opportunity to try(and fail)to prove a completely unrelated point]

I wasn’t trying to make any point other than linking today’s tragedy with the stick the police took last year from various groups about a situation in which it’s subsequently transpired they were dealing with a suspect with a loaded weapon – last year’s events with Mark Duggan could have easily landed up with the same outcome as today – the common thread is that the police can find themselves with little or no warning in extremely difficult situations that most of us would run a mile from.

yossarian
    Free Member

Your comments about last summers riots were ridiculous farmer john. And not related to this incident at all.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Unfortunately I think within the next decade all officers will have to carry a sidearm.

mt
    Free Member

“yossarian – Member
    Your comments about last summers riots were ridiculous farmer john. And not related to this incident at all.”

I believe Farmer John makes a valid point but today is not the day to introduce it. Bit less of the knee jerk please.

What a bloody shame for all connected to this incident, this could have been any local/community bobby responding to a call. Am very interested to find out why he handed himself in, perhaps to save himself from the arm police manhunt.

glupton1976
    Free Member

This thread is a reminder of how crap STW can be when folk start their nonsense. Grow up children.

Wookster

Terrible news. Thoughts with the families of the two officers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed. Wholeheartedly agreed.

atlaz
    Free Member

Unfortunately I think within the next decade all officers will have to carry a sidearm

People have said this since the 80s. When Barry Prudom went on the rampage, there were loads of calls for arming police.

Junkyard
    Free Member

We all know that my views differ from many on here but lets not turn this thread into a slanging match….

Why thanks for posting your view again and then asking us not to comment on 🙄

Why not just STFU? as could you Farmer with your polemics.

Its still a tragedy afor the officers and that you two are posting on other stuff on this thread.

dribbling
    Free Member

I sometimes find myself wondering whether this is a place for cyclists, or just randoms that like a fight.

(not aimed at any one person, just observation on direction some threads take)

RIP.

Bunnyhop

What a waste of precious lives.
    Why oh why couldn’t he have turned himself in before the shooting?

RIP ladies.

hora
    Free Member

Its not a subject I want to fight about.

easygirl

R.I.P to 2 of my colleagues
    Some people on here are inhuman

deluded
    Free Member

RIP Manchester colleagues

+1

jambalaya
    Free Member

Very sad to hear.

It is up to us to ensure Police work isn’t “thankless”

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just hope he isn’t seen as some hero in prison who “did” two coppers, when he actually is a lowlife scumbag who, at the end of the day shot and killed two unarmed women! What a big big man!!

mrchrispy

terrible and pointless loss
    the best job I ever had was work as police staff at GMP.
    I really felt I was working with one big family,

very very sad 🙁

philconsequence
    Free Member

Just hope he isn’t seen as some hero in prison who “did” two coppers,

unfortunately that’s the way tings work in prison according to the mrs!

hora
    Free Member

Even two unarmed female officers? Rhetorical question answered.

easygirl

I work in G.M.P and didn’t know the 2 officers, have been in work today and am sitting at home feeling very subdued and upset.
    Unsure why, but when things like this happen in the police , officers seem to take it badly.
    maybe it’s because we all put so much trust in each other, we trust our colleagues at incidents, and see so much tragedy together, we also feel it as a group when there is any loss.
    Altogether a very sad day

mbr30
    Free Member

lowey

Terrible.

when he actually is a lowlife scumbag who, at the end of the day shot and killed two unarmed women! What a big big man

And then handed himself in before the armed police turned up to find him.

Clearly of no worth to society. Clear cut case to string him up imo.

Thoughts are with the families.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Tragic and sad news. Thoughts go out to the families of those lost and the wider gmp and police family.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I work in G.M.P and didn’t know the 2 officers, have been in work today and am sitting at home feeling very subdued and upset.
    Unsure why, but when things like this happen in the police , officers seem to take it badly.
    maybe it’s because we all put so much trust in each other, we trust our colleagues at incidents, and see so much tragedy together, we also feel it as a group when there is any loss.
    Altogether a very sad day

Unfortunately it is the realistaion that it could have been you or another close officer friend of yours

All jobs have risks, However yours are just so much more unpredictable than mine, but we need good folk to hold the thin blue line between us and them. Unfortunately sometimes it gets broken.

Chin up fella

BurnBob
    Free Member

The news from Manchester has been upsetting today and I am thinking of the colleagues and families of the two girls. I came on here which I do most evenings and I truly do despair of some peoples views, opinions and lack of basic human respect. I think I will now take an extended break from STW.
    Thanks.

thorpie
    Free Member

I am a police officer in Sheffield and the job we do is unique, boring sometimes and other times down right dangerous. It is NOT a normal job, just like the military isn’t. My heart goes out to my fallen colleagues in Manchester, may you both rest in peace and Home Secretery, stop trying to devalue our service and destroy the reward that we surely earn, and pay for, sometimes with our lives.

Trevor.

Marin
    Free Member

Very sad and well said Trevor. My sister is a WPC in Cheshire and for the sh~t she takes on a daily basis the pay isn’t that great.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Officers down :o(’ is closed to new replies.