Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Off to Coed Y brenin!
  • wiiija
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m off to Coed Y Brenin tomorrow, staying at Cae Gwyn Farm for 4 nights.
    Being my first visit there what should I expect? Also can anybody recommend anywhere else within driving distance to ride while we are there?

We went to Brechfa last year for a few days and had a blast but fancied somewhere different this year.

Any other recommendations for places to eat (and drink) are welcomed!

Sean

GolfChick
    Free Member

i recommend not falling off within five metres of the start like we saw someone do. Its a rocky start but easily rollable. I also recommend doing the beast as we did but dont spend any money at the half way cafe, sit outside the cafe grounds and take your own snack as their prices are very expensive and the drinks arent cold (from our experience)

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Penmachno isn’t too far away. I prefer it to Coedy,no cafe,bike wash,or any other facilities,just good fun.

steveh

Think about trying penmachno and the marin trail (starts in llanrwst), these 2 are pretty close together and can make 1 days riding if you’re pretty keen. Also think about nant yr arian near aberystwyth depending on which way you are going.

Have a look at the trail map, the longest route (beast i think) is best done with a loop cut out that is mainly fire road.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Hi Wiija,

Being close to Wellingborough/Northants (I remember the post about Irchie park) the Treads lot are down there in a month or so. So if you like what you see (and you should, it’s a lovely bit of Welsh Wales) you’re more than welcome to join us as it saves on transport and it’s a good cheap, fun weekend as long as you don’t drink too much 😉

All the best, TR/Ant

P.S. Don’t go to the Kebab shop in Dolgellau on Saturday night it’s a bit of a “hotspot” and some of the pubs are a bit “lively” but there are plenty of good places to eat and drink, just enjoy 😀

wiiija
    Free Member

Cheers guys, penmachno is on the cards now!

Hi Ant, sounds good, I’ll see how I get on, not as fit this year as I was last so I’m hoping for a tad less fireroad climbing than brechfa which was a right slog on the red!
    I’ll avoid that Kebab shop then, I presume by hotspot you mean a bit um, lairy? Hoping the locals are as friendly as they were at Brechfa! cant be dealing with dodgyness!

Sean

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

GolfChick – Member
    i recommend not falling off within five metres of the start like we saw someone do. Its a rocky start but easily rollable. I also recommend doing the beast as we did but dont spend any money at the half way cafe, sit outside the cafe grounds and take your own snack as their prices are very expensive and the drinks arent cold (from our experience)

Both right and wrong!

Right – The very early stages can actually unsettle riders. I see that as a good thing, as if to say “Look, there’s some rocks here, so I hope you’re up to it!”. It’s all very rollable, as mentioned, just carry a bit of speed through it.

Wrong – The lovely people with the garden half way round couldn’t be better! I had a lovely pint of icy cold lemonade and a greek salad the other day. Superb. always friendly, always good service. Never had anything bad to say about them.

baa
    Free Member

I agree with the Captain, the cafe is lovely, I always stop there for a cuppa and some really nice homemade cakes. also the short cut which misses out all that fireroad starts there.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Sorry Golfchick, But i’ll have to agree with CFH as the couple that run the garden cafe are one of the best things about CyB, in the winter they do lovely hot soups, and in the summer they do a great line of cakes and snacks and they are always in the right place at the right time.

>Eee, when I were young mode< since the new visitors centre opened I do feel that my wallet is being prised open there (Sian and Dafydd’s set-up was the nut’s) but regardless, there is still plenty to like about CyB >Eeee, When I were a lad mode off<

As for falling off in the early stages, I always ride like a spanner for a bit 😉 but you do find a “flow” after a bit 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Two people agreeing with me?

I’m going to go and have a little lie down now….

wiiija
    Free Member

Had an excellent time, Penmachno was by far my favourite ride of the the lot despite the rain! Few close calls but no falls that day.
    MBR was a great ride too, I missed out on the beast which the people I was with did as I was ill that day (glad I was in a way as they got completely sodden and even got hailed on at the top!).

First day we did the orange trail which I cant remember the name of, nice short ride which takes in most of the nice singletrack sections, was a good opening ride for us.

The only bad injury was a mate who decided it would be a good idea to try a 3-4 foot drop in the pitch dark after a few too many bevvies, something which normally wouldnt be a problem. Cue 3 attempts, 3 stacks and a lot of chunks missing from his knees, arms, hands and shoulder….dont think he’ll be doing that again.

I recommend Cae Gwynn Farm if your looking for somewhere to stay, very friendly owners and stunning views.

Sean

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Do the beast
    Do be slightly shocked at the opening bit but don’t worry about it.
    Do enjoy the rocks
    Do stop at the garden cafe

zokes
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member

Do the beast
    Do be slightly shocked at the opening bit but don’t worry about it.
    Do enjoy the rocks
    Do stop at the garden cafe

DON’T ponder what it was like before they removed all the decent descents improved the safety and drainage…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Off to Coed Y brenin!’ is closed to new replies.