Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Off Road Pushchair / buggy & Bike seat recommedations for young 'uns.
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

Baby is 7 months now. Our old faithful pushchair is not going to last another winter on the Cumbrian fells so has been retired to an urban family. I found a front brake was essential for the down slopes. 3 wheels seems to work well.

Any recommendations? I’ll be starting walking, then “running” on firetracks, then hopefully when the boys neck is strong enough, it will be more off road.

The top tube mounted seats look good too.

I’m doing a 4 day a week now and want the day off (Thursday) to be full of adventure, leading on to the lad being able to ride his bike and walk in the fells (happily) by the time he gets to school. It’ll also keep me fit.

I appreciate that all kids are different, but what have you found that works at what age?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Why not look into a trailer? Chariot are the most expensive but the best IMO and you can use it as a trailer, a buggy, and a jogging accessory. You can even buy skis for the thing. There are cheaper alternatives now though which have caught up a lot on quality.

kimbers

our croozers great, no front brake in buggy mode though

tough and comfy especially for the little uns in the baby sling, weather proof too
    and boot is big enough to take his balance bikes

as regards to getting the lil un riding, dont push it, bought kimbers jr a balance bike a year ago for his 2nd birthday and he kind of liked it but wasnt too fussed, I was very careful not to hassle him over it, this summer though somethings just clicked, and hes off like a madman at every opportunity, asked me to help him do jumps on saturday down some steps!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m considering selling my Chariot Cougar 2 with all the trimmings…

natrix
    Free Member

I’ve been very happy with our out’n about 360 http://www.outnabout.com/products/

As for seats, see if you can try some out. I started off with a weeride which goes in front of the adult rider, but just couldn’t get on with it as my knees kept banging on the seat. My wife couldn’t get on with it either, but some people get on well with them. We much prefer the Hamax rear mounting seats (they do get to see more on a seat than in a trailer).

Kimbers – looks like Swinley, is it the green trail??

chaos

Like Isla bikes, Chariots retain an excellent resale value – our Cougar went for at least 2/3rds of it’s original cost on ebay. So well worth a look. A bit bulky wheeling into cafe’s at the end of a ride/walk but the stroller wheels help with that.

I never actually ran with it but my wife found it ok and it had more leg clearance than your usual push-chair. Still worth checking in advance that you won’t kick it if you have a long stride.

Hadn’t realised they are now re-sold by Thule. http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/active-with-kids/multifunctional-child-carriers/single-child-carriers/thule-chariot-cougar-1-red-_-10100934

Pook

Kimbers: Sebastian vettel’s dad. FACT.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Have a look at the Jane Slalom R pushchair. We had one and it was great for off-roading.

tonyd

We have a Mountain Buggy Terrain in the garage which I’ve been meaning to sell. Three wheeler, fixed front wheel. Very light and sturdy. Mountain Buggy was bought by Phil and Teds and I think they discontinued it.

kimbers

natrix, yeah the green trail, for 2.5yr old on a balanace bike its like ridindg the redbull rampage, even if it seems so short, the blues just too busy to take kids on and sadly too narrow for a trailer 🙁

pdw
    Free Member

We’ve got a Cougar 1 and it works well off-road. Compared to a normal pushchair, the large wheels make a big difference (the trails come alive, etc.). The flipside is that there’s a bit more faff to collapsing it when putting it in the car.

i_like_food

+ 1 for a Chariot.

We’ve used ours for running (on and off road, up to 20miles with breaks for snacks!) , rides on road and on fire roads and as our only buggy for town duties.

The biggest positive for us was how easy it was to ride to town, lock the bike up, convert it to a buggy and do the shopping.

Once nipper was big enough we also used a seat on the back (which was a bit more interactive for nipper and saved the hassle of locking the chariot up if we were going swimming etc).

Mrs Like_food and I rate it as our best baby purchase, it allowed us to maintain the active life we had pre-nipper and minimised the use of the car.

flatfish
    Free Member

BoB revolution stroller.
    Same makers as the bob bike trailers.
    I’m two for sale at the moment, a single and a double if your interested.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Some g re at repliea there. I’ll look into it tonight After work. Cheers.

osteo1
    Free Member

Have a trailer, Hamax rear and weeride… the only one that ever comes out of the garage is the weeride! having said that it doesn’t work on my wife’s 15″ fs frame but works fine on my medium nukeproof mega frame… My daughter absolutely loves it we have done the (slightly tame) red route at Bedgebury with it on, no problems! Found the rear seats bobble around too much unless you are running a hardtail, my daughter also used to get bored with it and moan. Buggy great for center parks but found it a bit limiting and a pain to pack in car.

brack
    Free Member

Bob revolution +1

Bomb proof

spacemonkey

the blues just too busy to take kids on and sadly too narrow for a trailer

Eh? Have you tried it? I saw a dad spinning round there with his little’un in one of those fancy top-end German proper suss trailers a couple of months ago.

BTW, I have a Croozer 1 and it’s awesome. Not a fan of using it in the cold months as I can’t see how monkey jnr is going to keep warm though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Off Road Pushchair / buggy & Bike seat recommedations for young 'uns.’ is closed to new replies.