Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Off-Road Access Survey (Open MTB&Cycling UK)
  • scc999

Can’t see anything on here about this, but it’s popped up on my FB feed and I thought it was worth sharing.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/offroad-survey

Mods – please delete if I’ve missed a prev thread.

Si

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for posting this. I don’t understand the q re time spent riding on a weekly basis relating to the moving gizmo. Also there’s a glaring typo. Only reached the first page!

cinnamon_girl

Just to add that there’s a glitch, will see if it can be reported as it’s impossible to continue.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Completed just now, fine for me.

cinnamon_girl

Really?

scc999

I completed it before posting.

Si

Pook

Completed.

You rank the 1-5s, not rate.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Completed it, but upon completion it went back to the start and didn’t ask for my details anywhere. Not sure if it recorded my answers.

milky1980
    Free Member

Done, no problems for me 😀

cinnamon_girl

LittleNose – it did ask for name, postcode and e-mail addy.

Got confused with one part, what a bimbo. 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

If anyone’s having issues with it please send me an email and possibly a screengrab if at all possible.

Address in profile.

🙂

keithb

Done it.

But I don’t understand why,as a ctc member who receives both the magazine and when weekly email, I first heard about this here, the public forum of a third party website!

Bloody useless ctc again. No wonder I’m planning to stop my membership.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure it’ll be in their next email keith.

The launch was a bit rushed to get it out before the Bank Holiday.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hey, can I ask a big favour of you all?

Would you mind sharing the survey on your personal FB, Twitter etc? We want to reach the casual off-road riders as well as us hardcore lot.

🙂

keithb

So the bank holiday caught then by surprise?

On reading the press release, it mentions that the survey was developed by openmtb, so it looks like ctc has jumped on at the last minute and are trying to take credit for someone else’s work/ideas.

CTC used to have an off road access officer that led on these posts of things, but they only seem to have got involved once someone else has done the leg work.

(Grumpy ctc member)

chakaping
    Free Member

I think Cycling UK deserve credit for engaging with MTBers like this and they certainly haven’t jumped on at the last minute.

🙂

keithb

Hmm I’m not so sure. Off road access has been basically off the CTC agenda since getting rid of the off road officer position. Basically until the access debate in Wales and the derbyshire County council debacle at Stanage.

colournoise

chakaping – Member
    Hey, can I ask a big favour of you all?

Would you mind sharing the survey on your personal FB, Twitter etc? We want to reach the casual off-road riders as well as us hardcore lot.
    Done. And on the local MTB group pages.

Whatever the motives, let’s hope this is the starting point of a proper campaign for sensible open access in England…

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s the spirit!

lowey

Done.

Rio

I’ve done it but I had to make up some answers. Probably too late to change it now but as a general principal when you’re doing a survey and you ask “which of these do you do” you need to allow “none of the above”. If you have a radio button selection and there’s an “other” box then that needs a button also. And if you’re asking for personal information, put the privacy statement first or allow opt-outs otherwise you’ll get people like me making up answers, and for income allow a “prefer not to answer” for those of us who don’t know or don’t want to say!

thenorthwind

Done. Will share on FB

martinhutch

Doesn’t work for me. Form won’t allow me to rank ‘reasons for cycling’ – keeps blanking the answers I’ve given when I try to go on to the next question.

chakaping
    Free Member

Martin, I think you have to do them 1-5 and not use the same number twice, if that makes sense?

soobalias
    Free Member

after screen 2, it kicked me back to the beginning, but with screen one answers still there…. (Win, Firefox)

submitted, will share.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Done. Thanks for the heads up

Marko

Not working for me on the 1-5 options. I had to tick N/A on the first one and I gave up on the second one.

v666ern
    Free Member

Quick question

When completed, we plan to use this information to inform and direct our campaigning efforts to make mountain biking and off road cycling better in England and Wales.

In what way?

Skeptical as surely they know their target audience and what they want so what will happen with the survey info etc? Are they lobbying the government? are they going to use it for advertisement/marketing?

(not a ctc member and until you change the mindset of the average ’10 points for a cyclist brigade’ what is this going to achieve)

v666ern
    Free Member

what does it matter what type of gps logger i use, how is that relevant?

Cycling UK will use the information you have given here for the purpose of providing you with information about Cycling UK, including, but not limited to, its services, projects, campaigns and membership benefits. Cycling UK will not disclose this information to any other person or organisation except in connection with the above purposes. If you do not want us to contact you about Cycling UK membership tick the opt out below or write to the Data Controller at Cycling UK, Parklands, Railton Road, Guildford GU2 9JX or email offroad@CyclingUK.org.

Why is this at the end?

Have they actually ever created a survey before…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Very glitch for me on my computer.

Doing a full survey and then asking for postcode and email address is a bit naughty, so I wasted 10 minutes of my time because you are not having my postcode or email address 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

The data will be used to support lobbying for increased trail access. That will involve negotiation with a variety of bodies, not just the government.

We need as big a response as possible so the data is as credible as possible.

Gathering postcodes is vital as it allows us to learn about riding habits in different areas. Nobody will be arrested for admitting they ride on footpaths.

🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

Sorry Chapaking dont mean to be negative – have completed but aside from selling the data to tomtom instead of strava i dont see the point?

#brexit

jambalaya
    Free Member

@chap so you are involved ? If so thanks.

FWIW I am against blanket relaxation of footpath acccess. I am for re-classifying specifc paths / tracks to allow bikes.

ninfan
    Free Member

FWIW I am against blanket relaxation of footpath acccess. I am for re-classifying specifc paths / tracks to allow bikes.

if you haven’t seen it:

http://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/davidmurray/future-cycle-access-countryside

funkrodent

Did it. Kept bouncing me back to the beginning. Fortunately previous answers were saved otherwise I’d have put my foot through the laptop screen and sent the bill to chakaping.. 😉

keithb

OK so I’m Feeling less grumpy today so willing to give CTC/CUK the benefit of the doubt on this for now. Especially given that on the CTC/CUK forum I demanded they got on with off road access compaigning in order to keep my membership – it would seem somewhat churlish to keep knocking them for not doing anything before, when this could be a direct response to wishes of its members….

Right, now CUK are on this, time to make them start hilling local authorities over the head with the 2008 cycle infrastructure guidance! specifically that on-road cycle paths should be a minimum of 1.5m wide on quiet <30mph strets, and 2m wide on busy OR >30mph streets! I’ve already FOI’d Derbyshire for there justification for not following this when they resurfaced the main road at the end of my street!

(edited for typos)

chakaping
    Free Member

but aside from selling the data to tomtom instead of strava i dont see the point?

There are no commercial motives to the questions and no plans to sell any of the data, honest.

The GPS-related ones are to give us ballpark figures on the extent of GPS and Strava use – and to understand potential demand for route apps.

Keith – I’m glad you’re coming round.

😉

pablogt
    Free Member

See this on Facebook last night and did it. Would like to see the final tallys, could be some interesting and useful info.

Yak

Done

cchris2lou

done , but how can I share it on fb ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Off-Road Access Survey (Open MTB&Cycling UK)’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM