Home Forums Bike Forum Nukeproof/superstar pedal bushing replacement

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Nukeproof/superstar pedal bushing replacement
  • wgm20
    Free Member

My nukeproof pedals have quite a bit of play in them. I’ve stripped them down and the culprit seems to be the pedal bushing. Has anyone removed and replaced these? How did you do it? What side do they come out? Is there an obvious lip to avoid? It’s all pretty dark in there.

A web trawl has revealed very little and I haven’t heard back from nukeproof’s technical support yet, so any advice would be much appreciated.

From the pictures on their site, it looks like very similar pedals are also sold by superstar.

Thanks!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

and made and (also) sold by HT Industries if that helps your googling.

mintimperial

I’ve done NP Protons and SS Nanos, effectively both the same inside – it was a while ago though. Bushings just tapped out with a small screwdriver. If I recall the bushings are split so it’s not a tight fit or anything. Pretty sure they come out on the outside of the pedal. The bolt holding everything in is 8mm I think, I needed a long socket to get at it as it’s quite deep inside. There are two 6mm hex dust caps that screw into the pedal body, the internal one is actually there to hold the bearings in place, bear that in mind when you tighten everything down on the spindle because there’ll still be a load of play in there before you put the first dust cap back in, that’s normal.

I might have misremembered some of that so don’t take it as gospel, but in general it wasn’t hard to strip and rebuild them – just go carefully and you’ll be fine.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Don’t superstar sell a service kit with new bushings and bearings and stuff? Pretty sure they’re not very expensive

Tom KP

survivor

Use a tap and thread into the bush(found this method somewhere on Internet). It then pulls or knocks out. Insert new bushes with some threaded bar and washers.(I tried pushing/tapping them in but they damage easily)….

Some other company sells a kit to do theirs this method so it’s kosher. I just got the bits I needed from a local hardware shop.

wgm20
    Free Member

Hmmm. There is something odd going on. What I think are the bushes aren’t split and don’t budge when I hit them with a hammer and drift from the threaded side. I’ll have to get some more light and take a better look down there…..

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I used to sell the bushes on their own as the bearings rarely go. To remove I used an m8 (pos m10) bolt, the head of which fitted perfectly and knocked them out.

Hook the back to back bearings out with a spoke head. Drop bolt in from same end insert Allen key, hit it, et voila.

DK
    Free Member

Thank you for this! Dropped an Allen bolt in from threaded side of pedal and bushing came right out! Been messing with drifts for days

DK
    Free Member

…now where can I get bushings? Hmm…

dirtydog
    Free Member

…now where can I get bushings? Hmm…

Chain Reaction

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-pedal-bushing/rp-prod35702

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof/superstar pedal bushing replacement’ is closed to new replies.