Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Nukeproof Reactor owners – flip chip
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I got one in June, I tried a few rides in trail mode then put it in rail mode and left it there because I was trying to make it as much of a lightweight enduro bike as I could.  I wanted to sit behind the front end like I used to do on my Patriot to great effect, so I went with the slacker option and fitted a shorter stem and even higher sweep bars. However I eventually realised it didn’t work well like that. I put the longer stem back on (45mm) and on the last couple of rides I put the flip chip back to trail, and whilst it climbs a bit better it is actually significantly better ragging through tight woodsy singletrack.  Perhaps because it’s on the big side for me so I need a bit more help getting over the front, or maybe steeper angles add to the manoeuvrability to offset massive wheels and tyres.  It’s not very enduro-ey but I think I am ok with that now. It’s perhaps not the bike I thought I was getting but that might be a good thing.

What do you run and have you experimented with both?

mandog

I’ve never tried mine in rail mode. I’ve decided the medium is too small for me so am currently selling it on the bay, frame only.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Never even bothered to play with the flip chip. But like you it’s on the large side for me.

ads678

I’ve never changed mine. Mines a medium and I’m bang in the middle of the size guide.

I might flip it to rail and see what it does!

molgrips
    Free Member

I think rail might be better for bike park or trail centre style.

@mandog
    what you replacing it with?

mandog

I’ve already got myself an Ecstasy Bike in size large. It’s much more confidence inspiring.

What size is your Reactor?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 and mine is large. According to the size guide I could have had either M or L.  I honestly don’t know what M would have been like.  Probably lighter, which in itself would welcome.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I’ve read that the bolts and other bits of hardware are made of cheese so I’m a bit more reluctant to touch them now that they’re no longer easy to replace.

ads678

Was just going to respond saying I haven’t had any problems with weak bolts…..

…then I went in the garage and change my flip chip to rail mode. I hope I like it now cos one of the bolts is not coming out again soon!! I swear my torque wrench didn’t click, now there’s no hex in the bolt, just a nice circular hole! Shit!

16Nm’s…

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t realise this at first but it’s a bolt through the yoke thingy and it’s accessible (ish) from both sides. There should be a bolt head on the inside as well as the hole in the end of the bolt where the chip is.

I wonder if we can start a crowdfunder or something to obtain the patterns and make parts?

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I’ve never tried changing mine but I’m quite tempted to give it a try, just cos I can. I’m 6ft 2, on an XL and it feels pretty perfect size wise

A slight tangent but still Reactor based… does anyone know here I can get a spare hanger?

ads678

@tomtomthepipersson

This looks like the right one.

Derailleur Hanger 461

ads678

@molgrips – yeah I figured I’d have to try and get at it from the other side if I want to change it back to trail. Christ knows if I’ll be able to get another one from anywhere….

fooman

I found rail setting meant more pedal strikes on rough ground and generally seemed harder work to ride. Might be ok for bike parks but for xc / enduro it was not improved, I stick with trail now

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

The reactor hanger is Pilo part number D1239

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Thanks. The Pilo ones were out of stock previously. I’ve ordered a Betd one that ads linked to above.

I’ve only ever broken one hanger but, you know, Sod’s Law and all that. 

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.