Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nukeproof freehub upgrade possible?
  • hardtail5
    Free Member

I have a 2018 Nukeproof scout 275. It has the standard rear hub and freehub on it, one of their own brands. Neutron maybe?

The freehub has died on it. I’ve had it apart and noticed the toothed gear comes out of the hub too.

I’ve had a browse of products and I can’t figure out… Is this something I can upgrade without changing the hub?

transporter13
    Free Member

By toothed gear I’m assuming you mean what’s called the ratchet ring.
    If that’s loose then it should be a warranty job.. If warranty isnt available to you because its second hand then the only other option would be a new hub as far as I’m aware

hardtail5
    Free Member

Ratchet ring sounds right, thanks!

It’s not loose but removable. Sits snugly in grooves like a cassette. I hoped this would mean I could upgrade it, assuming this is some sort of standard.

Pic:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VtzPcJdFmuuazMAPA

dhrider
    Free Member

Ratchet ring shouldn’t come out. You’ll get sorted under warranty if you are still within the initial year from purchase.

If not it’s new hub / wheel time.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

A lot of nukeproof hubs failed and they updated the design of the rear hub in late 2018 to cure the issue where pawls broke damaging the ratchet ring and freehub. Might be worth an email to CRC’s customer services.

hardtail5
    Free Member

Have read about that on some reviews. Pawls seem undamaged, if anything something has maybe worn resulting in slippage. If the ring comes out on all of them, I could buy a complete new rear hub for 50 quid and fit the ring and keep the replacement bearings and freehub for spares. If not, now’s the time to upgrade.

Unfortunately it’s out of warranty, got it April 2018.

dhrider
    Free Member

The ring should not come out so either buy a new hub and rebuild onto it or buy a new wheel.

Phil_H

Nukeproof warranty is 2 years on components.
    Could be worth contacting your retailer.

hardtail5
    Free Member

Thanks Phil_H! I’ve submitted a warranty claim via the retailer, I’m just within the 2 years..

I’ve also ordered and fitted a new freehub, apparently the earlier alloy ones had a design flaw which leads to excessive wear and the pawls moving around causing my symptoms.

My freehub damage: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Etcs6bU4Hw6ove48

This is the replacement 3-pawl steel freehub that fits my Neutron hub/33t ring perfectly: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nukeproof-neutron-freehub-body-shimano/?sku=597896

It’s all back together and working fine again. The ratchet ring is press fit, it’s not that tighter interference fit but there’s definitely no play so I think that’s a red herring.

Thanks all.

wzzzz
    Free Member

It’s a Novatec hub

They are not bad but not dt or hope good. 2 years is good going. Once the bearings get a little play the freehub pawls and ratchet ring wear significantly

Stick new bearings, ring and freehub on and it will be fine. Check the axle for damage.

You can buy a new ratchet ring and freehub many places (ebay, aliexpress, novatec eu or bdop etc) if warranty doesn’t come through

kellyllek
    Free Member

Wow I think this the same hub I’m having problems with! CRC sent me a replacement wheel for a warranty and it has a nukeproof hub. It just started slipping with no warning. I totally cleaned it out twice and it it still failing. It’s strange because I don’t really see any damage that is obvious. @hardtail5, on the one photo detail of the cassette body and pawls, the little wave shape next to the pawls looks damaged? That the only thing I see on mine; it’s just one of those that looks beat up.

This is on a 29er 142 ht through axle. I’m guessing it is exactly the same. I’d need a new rathchet ring (mine also came right out), and a new cassette body I guess unless the pawls are available?

I’ll take photos tomorrow and post. The hub just says nudeproof with no model number. I don’t think I can get a warranty on it as it was already a replacement warranty from a completely different wheel. It’s lasted about a year and 4500 mostly road miles.

I’ll try to confirm with photos but I have no idea what to get?. I’d need the ratchet ring and pawls at least, if not the whole cassette body.

really glad I found this discussion!

hardtail5
    Free Member

Hi! Here’s another thread which helped my arrive at the decision the freehub was worn: https://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/about-your-novatech-hubs-1089830.html

If your body is alloy then there’s a good chance the same as happened. I’m still using the original ratchet ring with a new freehub. I think it comes out by design – it’s a nice snug fit and has zero play so I am not concerned about that at all.

Nukeproof actually sent me a replacement freehub and ratchet ring, which I’m very happy about. Should keep me going for a while longer without having to change the rear hub.

Ratchet ring is available on Novatec website for a fiver, but if it’s not excessively worn I’d leave it alone.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof freehub upgrade possible?’ is closed to new replies.