Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Nuke bike day – just need to build it!
  • dirkpitt74

Postman has had a busy morning (yes the grass needs cutting and the dog photo-bombed!!):

Decided to retire my 2014 26″ Mega TR.

Picked up a BNIB 2017 Mega frame:

Rockshox Yari 160mm:

with some nice additional ‘stealth’ graphics (although thinking the current white ones work with the frame):

And some Nukeproof Neutron Wheels:

Picking up some Schwalbe Magic Mary & Hans Dampf tyres Monday.

Will be swapping the current 1×10 SLX drivetrain and brakes off my TR and upgrading to 11 speed when that wears out.

Build won’t start for a couple of weeks as need the TR for the BHF Peaks charity ride next weekend and also dropping the new frame off at the LBS to have it invisiframed before I build it.

big_scot_nanny

Looks ripping! that’ll be fabulous, enjoy building it, and riding it.

I loved my old 26″ mega (was nicked), had 170mm coil lyriks and a coil manitou rear shock – was the smoothest, most controlled bike I’ve ever ridden, if a bit of a pig to ride unless I was going at warp 9.

kayak23

Very nice indeed.

I like the well. Have you not got taps in your house?

martinhutch

ThePinkster

That looks like it’s going to be great fun 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

I ran that wheel / fork combo for 2 years until recently. The bearings in the wheels are crap, but otherwise it’s a great VFM job.

They’re also dead easy to replace, OEM bearings are £6 a pair, but they’re a really common size so better ones aren’t expensive.

I only mention them as mine were pretty bad new and even a tiny bit of wear resulted in a decent amount of play, replaced by good branded ones and they’ve been great.

dirkpitt74

Thanks @P-Jay – Look like 6902 bearings, might just swap them out before I put it together.
    Only paid £100 for the wheels – unused – so £15 for some Enduro bearings is OK.

dirkpitt74

So finally got round to starting this after a couple of months due to injury, illness and family commitments.

Decided to swap tyres to Michelin Wild Enduro’s

Went on and up really easily – first time no faffing – brilliant!

Off to the LBS to be invisiframed and they’re also finishing the build for me – I’d normally do itself but just want it finished now as the weather is here!

Should get it back for the weekend.

dirkpitt74

Don’t know what happened to the rest of the pictures……
    But here they are:

dirkpitt74

Oh and instead of taking the 10spd SLX stuff off my old Mega I decided on 11spd XT 😁

mashr

This has taken so long that we’re all on 13 speed now!

kayak23

Looking steezy. 👌

jaylittle
    Free Member

Great looking bike. How do these size up? I have one on my wish list as my next bike.

dirkpitt74

mashr
    This has taken so long that we’re all on 13 speed now!

Well I’ve only just changed from 26″ wheels so it’ll take me a while to catch-up lol

dirkpitt74

It’s done!

Finally finished bar a couple of tweeks (and maybe a nee fork damper…..)

Huge thanks to Cannock Chase Cycle Centre for the invisiframe and throwing the last few bits on.

Should be getting out on it over the weekend – can’t beat new bike days.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Really like the look of it now it’s finished. Hope it rides as good as it looks 🙂

Poopscoop

Looks really nice mate!👍

Only thing I would do is get some matching yellow graphics for the forks. It would look absolutely spot on then!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

looks like your bars have ‘slipped’ forward a lot 😉

Lovely bike BTW 😀

rOcKeTdOg

change the wheel bearings now before it rains, you’ll need to afterwards anyway

tomhoward

Cor, your garden is massive!

(Said the vicar etc)

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.
    Wheel bearings were changed.
    Yeah need to sort out cockpit and dropper before I ride it.

Hadn’t thought of yellow fork graphics – but they’re invisiframed now, so will do at a later date.

dirkpitt74

Some better pictures (in my actual garden @tomhoward ) :

First ride tomorrow.

Poopscoop

Nice best external cable routing on that frame to, same layout as my Jeffsy. Hate internal routing! Apart from dropper obvs.

Enjoy the ride mate, bet you’ll love it.👍

dirkpitt74

Decided I needed bigger brakes so got some Saints put on the other day.

Not managed to try them properly but they do feel a lot better.

dirkpitt74

Managed a few upgrades recently.
    Upgraded to air spring and damper in the forks – 170mm Debonair spring and Charger 2.1 RC2 damper.
    Got a Debonair can on order for the rear shock too.

Fitted new wheels and tyres today – Hunt trail wide wheels and new Michelin Wild Enduro tyres.
    Changed my handlebars to some 38mm rise as wasn’t getting on with the 20mm rise.

kayak23

Mint. How does it ride compared to the original Mega?

I had an original for years. Nearly got a newer version but went Cotic.

Poopscoop

Does it have the HV can on the shock at the moment op?

Do NP spec that frame with a debonair fitted?

dirkpitt74

@Poopscoop it’s the HV shock but with the standard HV air can.
    The Debonair can has a longer outer sleeve to give a bigger negative chamber.
    Basically the sleeve will go right to the end of the shock.

Current sleeve:

Currently stops about 20mm short.

The 2018 came with the Debonair shock.

Poopscoop

So only the negative chamber is larger mate?

Only reason I ask is that on the non metric shocks (not got a bike with the newer ones) a lot of frames where specced with the HV as the debonair version ruined the suspension setup. I think on the first demo jeffsys they were fitted with the debonair and it caused them to blow through the travel as it reduced the ramp up need by the frame.

Hazy memory but something like that! Lol

dirkpitt74

@kayak23 I haven’t ridden an original Mega – I had the 2014 26’er TR.
    It’s way more capable than I am, and it’s a lot better than the older version, just feels more stable.

endomick
    Free Member

Some new fork decals maybe, lyrik ultimate ones, now you’ve upgraded internals.
    Yellow or gold would look better than the white, just my humble opinion. I got some off ebay for £7.

dirkpitt74

@endomick something like these:

And these for the shock:

Although not sure it that’s too much yellow & black…..

endomick
    Free Member

If you’ve put in a RC2 damper it’s practically a lyrik now, I got my decals off seller called bomb print shop, really good quality, I got blue to colour match with my frame.
    Maybe go stealth on the rear shock, wouldn’t wanna overdo it, mock up a pic to see how good it’ll look before committing to it, or open up a new thread to ask opinions on here.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Nuke bike day – just need to build it!’ is closed to new replies.