Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Not your usual STW “what car?” question
  • lunge

And for once the answer is not an Octavia estate.

Mrs Lunge needs a new car, her 15 year old Punto is costing far too much each month and it is time to cut our losses.

She has about £4k to spend and wants something “reliable and fun” in that order. She only drives about 4 miles to work each way and does a thrash up to Manchester once a month so petrol is the fuel of choice. She needs 4 seats and a boot but does not need to carry bikes as that is what my car is for. The key thing is she tends to run cars until they die rather than changing them every few years, hence the 15 years old Punto so whatever she buys needs to be able to be kept running.

Any ideas mighty STW?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Polo?
    Yaris?
    Fabia?

Jamie
    Free Member

She only drives about 4 miles to work each way

*the hive mind will judge you now*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mini Countryman?

£4k will be cutting it fine.

lunge

She only drives about 4 miles to work each way

*prepare to be judged!*

[/quote]

We’ve been togther over 8 years, she has ridden a bike twice in that time, you can judge away but she isn’t going to do it!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Golf, Corsa, Yaris, Bettle (I spotted one on a 51 plate in really nice nik, done 41k FSH for £3k the other day) Fabia, Forfour, 206/207, 306/307, A2, 3series compact, Merc Coupe (just about) Kangoo, Megane..

bol

Mrs Bol has a Panda 100hp. It’s an absolute hoot and fits your requirements from what you’ve said. Our only problem is that we now fight over it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Honda civic?

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Toyota Celica?

Very reliable, reasonably fun, you’ll get a good one for £4k, and if it’s going to be ran for years parts will be cheap.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I didn’t know you could get panda 100hp’s for 4k. They are great.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

‘Reliable and Fun’ don’t normally go together.

How about a Fiat Grand Punto – sports version. Fiat reliability is actually ahead of all the Gereman brands in a recent What Car reliability survey.

Ford’s are always good fun to drive and pretty reliable too nowadays. Can’t go wrong with perhaps one of the newer Ford Puma’s or perhaps a Fiesta ST, Zetec S or similar.

My personal choice though if I had 4k to spend would be a Fiat Panda 100hp. Great fun, you don’t see many around so a little bit special and a low mileage 07 year car a snip at a mere 4k

Panda 100hp

bol

They might take a bit of looking for at that price, but they’re out there.

abennell
    Free Member

How about a fiesta of some description, one of my maes just sold a 06 plate zetec with leather etc for less than that, decent little motors

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oldish Mazda MX5?

theteaboy
    Free Member

Our 2006 Suzuki Swift was an absolute hoot, totally reliable and you’d get a nice one at your budget.

hp_source

+1 for the 100hp crowd…. more smiles per mile!

Or you may get a facelift (54reg ish) Yaris T-Sport for that money too…. very underated warm-hatch.

I’ve had both the above and would be hard picked to say which was better (Panda Handled better, but Yaris is more practical/hard wearing).

toby1

Honda Jazz I’d say 🙂

stumpy01

Petrol Ibiza FR?
    It’s got the 1.8 petrol that’s fitted to tons of VW’s, Audi’s etc so should be reliable – enough poke to be fun and they handle OK.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

If I was looking I’d snap up a Panda 100hp for 4k. I didn’t know they had got so cheap, I’m going to check my piggy bank…

konabunny
    Free Member

Micra, “jelly mould” shape.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Oh god. I never thought it would come to this.

Clarkson agrees with me:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article1524371.ece

Kill me now.

Edukator
    Free Member

Clarkson needs a driving lesson. Overtaking trucks on the motorway in a low powered car means building up speed in your own lane when a truck appears on the horizon so you can move out to the next lane when appropriate. Alternatively use the strategy we used on the ‘bahns with a T2. Indicate and start moving out regardless of what’s coming up. When one of the overtaking cars starts flashing its headlights you can safely assume the drivers foot is hovering over the brake and can pull out safely. (obviously be prepared to pull back in but I doubt you’ll ever have to) 💡

I’ll second Flash’s MX5. My sister-in-law asked me the same question, I answered MX5 and she bought one. We did the rounds of a car supermarket just for the test drives and once she’d driven the MX she lost interest in all the others.

5lab

if she likes fiat, a panda is excellent value

Otherwise something korean (kia picanto? Hyundai i10?) with the majority of its 7 year warranty left

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

if you can get 100hp for £4k then that’d be on my list. Fabia vRS? £4k will get you one and it’ll run forever and certainly ticks the reliable and fun boxes. Cheap tax and insurance too.

In a similar vein, 9N Polo GTs might be in your budget?

MX5? Unless they’ve changed the design, neither of my 3 ever had 4 seats 😉

Someone suggested an Ibiza FR – good call.

Might be a squeeze but there must be a fair few mk1 TTs knocking around for £4k. 4 ‘seats’ in them.

Corsa? C shape, SRI? Nice little underrated cars.

TypeR? Or for cheaper running costs, the 1.6 Sport that looks a bit like a TypeR. Loved my old one.

konabunny
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWnAdB-vkXo[/video]
    Long, but humourous SFW video about car recommendations online…

5lab

the mini would really tick a lot of these boxes, and your wife probably likes them cos she’s a girl

clubber
    Free Member

06ish Focus LX

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ford Focus ST 170.

Available in both hatch and estate, quick (but not silly), understated, loads of room, good build quality, a lot of fun, quite cheap now.

Next on my list would be a Honda Civic Type R for the above reasons.

I say this as an Octavia vRS estate driver. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

How about a fiesta of some description, one of my maes just sold a 06 plate zetec with leather etc for less than that, decent little motors

Zetec Sports and STs could be worth a look – great handling cars.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well he is mad then – he should get more than £4k for an 06 Fiesta. (Unless it was a wreck).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How about an 07 Mazda 3 2.0l Sport? I know someone with one for sale…

😉

Cougar

How about the bigger Smart? </leftfield>

votchy
    Free Member

the mini would really tick a lot of these boxes

only if the 4 seat requirement didn’t mean useable ones 😉

ourmaninthenorth

MX-5.

Nothing else comes close for reliable and fun. Loved ours – only car I’ve ever been sad to sell.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

She needs 4 seats

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Smart ForFour? You’d need the Brabus (no idea how much they go for – £6k minimum?) – we test drove a (non Brabus) one and it was bordering on being dangerously slow and that was pootling around in the city. Walking would have been quicker.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh, and supposely if you want a Fiesta, the Zetec-S is meant to have better handling than the ST but be ever so slightly slower.

Tracey

307 cc, loved mine

djglover
    Free Member

Seat Ibiza TDI sport 100bhp, remapped to 150bhp. Cost me 4K to buy on a 56 plate 12 months ago. Great driving car, sounds like a tractor at tick over though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Not your usual STW “what car?” question’ is closed to new replies.