Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • (Not) The Capital Trail
  • jimmy

A couple of (ex) neighbours and I have been taking about bike packing ideas and plans for a couple of years – last year two of us made it round the outer Cairngorm Loop (while the other recovered from being knocked off his bike). That was done staying in hostels but we were keen to do it properly and wild camp. With the Capital Trail on our doorstep, it seemed to the obvious choice to try some new – and old – kit out, and with the opportunity of a free weekend, we pencilled it in. Much chat about bikes, kit and route filled the interim period – that could all be another post in itself but come the day fine weather was forecast, albeit following days of heavy rain. As a result, my biggest concern was the wee midgie feckers. Needless to say, Smidge supplies were renewed and the household head net packed.

Day one.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3884427711

2 days earlier it was agreed to pick Markus Stitz’s route up at Carlops. This meant an extra 7 miles to get there from home, but the reasoning was to get the bastard steep grassy climb into the Pentlands done now, rather than last thing on day 3. Some last minute route consideration meant we’d cut out the “tourist” sections – we didn’t need to do the tour of Edinburgh (or later the loop of Glentress) so headed along NCN196 to pick up the route at Carberry Estate, where the first “serious” (it wasn’t serious) climb punctuated a few hours of meandering along cycle routes and back lanes into East Lothian.

It was gone 2pm before we hit the first really serious climb, and an introduction to the “steep and grassy” adjectives which littered descriptions of the Capital Trail. It was a bit of a wake up call after the serene morning’s ride but took us up into the Lammermuirs – one of those places close to home where I’d never ridden before. It was good to get up high and the gravel trails were good going. After another stiff climb, we descended out Southwards and with it getting on for evening, hopes of a chippy tea in Lauder started to develop. I had no idea what Lauder was like; my pre-ride research for places to visit is pretty lame, I like to think it’s intentional so it’s more of a surprise. After the only fast road section of the whole route, a short woodland singletrack section of the Southern Upland Way took us to Lauder – and a fish and chip shop! Mega. The best part of 8-9 hours riding meant a large fish supper stood little chance.

Now it was time to find a camp spot for the night. This was new to me, I normally like to know where I’m sleeping of an evening. We had passed a possible spot just before Lauder but decided to crack on up the hill out of Lauder and take our chances. And what chances – a great spot on a hillside with magnificent views, a stiff breeze (midges – zero) and a bit of shelter from trees. Wild camping was my new favourite thing. The hip flask helped.

Day 2.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3884462175

Coffee and cookies for 1st breakfast and we were on the way, just a short ride to Galashiels for (as a last resort) Maccy D’s breakfast. Only, the route didn’t go through Galashiels! (research, research, research). So after a few steep grassy climbs to wake us up, we rolled into Melrose. The weather today was roasting, a heatwave was passing through. An overly-relaxed, sit-down breakfast meant leaving Melrose at midday. We had a lot to do today in the heat; some nice meandering riverside trails and (have a guess…) steep grassy climbs to Selkirk. The river tweed was looking gloriously fresh and inviting, but time was too pressed for a dip at this stage. Arriving at Selkirk at 3pm, the climb to 3 Brethren and high traverse to Minch Moor was feeling ominous. Starting the climb, the heat was oppressive and not for the first time, felt very alpine amongst the trees. A brief dunk in a stream before the final slog was very welcome, as was the sight of the Three Brethren which… got… very…slowly…closer. The traverse to Minch Moor and down to Innerleithen was just stunning. The heat gave way to a peaceful warm evening. Had it been a couple of hours later, it would have been a great place to camp.

Innerleithen is familiar territory for a different type of biking, and the Traquair Arms was buzzing with “enduroists” enjoying pints in the sun over tales of awesomeness from their day (we’ve all been there). The friendly nature of the place resulted in a few offers of gardens to camp in, which while welcome, took away from the true wild camp spirit we wanted to recreate from the night before. It didn’t take much in)decision to not tackle Gypsy Glen tonight, instead we found a camp spot on the bank of the Tweed, set up camp and went for the much-needed swim to rinse off the sweat salts from the day. A home cooked camp meal, more whisky, and even the midges somehow managed to stay away for a great evening to reflect on the trip so far. And decide not to bother with Gypsy Glen in the morning either.

Day 3

https://www.strava.com/activities/3888504906

It has been said that Peebles doesn’t offer a good place for coffee. The trip deserved a decent local cafe, but true to form it was Greggs and Costa for breakfast.  The route from Peebles to the Pentlands has been something on the to-do list for a while, and it didn’t disappoint. OK, so when is riding trails in the sun ever going to disappoint? A by-now-customary stiff climb out of Peebles into rolling Borders hills got things going, onto the Borders Drove Road through some great scenery and woodland trails plus another dip in a plunge pool to cool down during a puncture repair. After a short road section from Romano Bridge to West Linton (must not… stop.. at the Gordon Arms…) all that remained was *that* bastard steep grassy climb from Nine Mile Burn up Monks Rig. Out of sheer bloody-mindedness I was on my own for this, the others having headed back from West Linton on the road to get home. As brutal as it was, I’d hoped for an easy coast down Green Cleugh but a strong headwind had other ideas and just about broke me to finish.

So it wasn’t quite the Capital Trail, but living nearby it just wasn’t worth the time and effort to do the touristy bits.  Even without the city tour, Glentress and Gypsy Glen loop, it was three days of surprisingly tough riding, not helped time-wise by *lots* of farm gates to open and close. We were lucky picking a weekend with great weather – my specs might not be so rosy had it been raining, windy or the midges mysteriously absent. There had been some chat about whether a mountain or gravel bike would be best. Other than “ride the bike you have”, either is fine but make sure you have the low end gears if you’re intent on avoiding hike-a-bike like I was. I was riding a 29er hardtail (build mostly courtesy of STW classifieds) with a 32-46 low gear and just about got up everything at a slow grind.

Apart from that, pack your budgie-smugglers for river swimming, sun cream, maybe some smidge and go do it!

cynic-al
    Free Member

gallowayboy

Thanks op, I’m a sucker for a good trip rep!

Davesport

Yeah, excellent. Cheers :o)

matt_outandabout

I like.

I don’t like Strava now blocking non-members from seeing the route.

Any pics?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Excellent stuff!

jimmy

Actually, for pics, you can knock yourself out here.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah9YLMD2btrmga5ja5ItxIUZoQ86hQ?e=wueAq7

tomcrow99

Lovely,
    Similar experience to my own, last summer. We started and finished from my house in Ratho, also scrapping the city bit. We had a night up the Lammenmuirs, followed by a big day to Peebles, then a limp back over the Pentlands on day 3. One of my friends from up north can still be found shaking his head muttering “grassy climbs…”

13thfloormonk

Hmm… lots of stopping for pleasant dips in streams and eating nice food etc. You sure you weren’t enjoying yourself a bit too much? 😉

jimmy

Ha, Ian, it was maybe too good for a first proper bikepacking experience. Going to be tough maintaining those standards.

13thfloormonk

Just do what I do, plan every day a bit too long so you can’t really afford to hang around.

Also, because you’ve planned such long days, travel reeallly light so you can’t afford to finish early as you won’t have enough food, layers or entertainment for long evenings in a bothy.

With practice you can make it a really joyless experience! 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘(Not) The Capital Trail’ is closed to new replies.