Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • North Yorkshire coast: take MTB or road bike?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Bit of forward planning for a holiday in the early summer, staying near Filey.

Can take a bike and will probably get a couple of half days.

I rode Dalby many years ago and found it a bit dull, but then I had driven a long way.

How’s the other local riding, off and on road?

richvelo
    Free Member

Road riding is glorious, choice of the moors or the Wolds.

Stacks of natural off road stuff on the moors as well.

Take both bikes 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

The thought had crossed my mind.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s much mountain biking from Filey itself, but you’re only 45 mins away by car from Dalby Forest or the North York Moors in general if you want to ride from the door then road bike night be better.

Although I’d be very interested to know if there is any good mountain biking near Filey as I go there quite often!

ogden
    Free Member

I find Dalby Forest really dull! if you want a 25km XC loop it’s fine.

djglover
    Free Member

road with tyres big enough for gravel, then do the Rosedale Railway or the bridleway up Rudland Rig and explore the roads.

chakaping
    Free Member

Gravel riding not an option unfortunately. Unless on a 29er HT.

Thinking about it, I’ll definitely take my road bike as it’s so handy for a quick blast and I like exploring new areas on it.

What’s the MTB like on the NY Moors and around?

eddie11
    Free Member

road bike with a compact. Its the land of 33% climbs.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

Very good natural riding in the Moors. The scenery is spectacular but can be a bit sparse on the tops.

There’s a few guide books you can get for the area, as well as two trail centres (Dalby and Sutton Bank, although the latter is more like a way marked natural route). There’s a few more trail centres if you travel a bit further north too.

vincienup
    Free Member

Rosedale has some good riding, but if you look a bit further, then Guisborough is immense if you do your homework. There is an official loop which is very old skool and may not be complete any more but the good stuff is all unofficial and semi hidden. Finding someone who knows their way round is highly recommended.
    Depends what you want, I guess. Dalby is a bit infamous with many riders locally. It’s not especially challenging but it’s a pleasant enough ride. Probably more enjoyable if you haven’t driven a long way for it though!

chestrockwell

North Yorks Moors so guide book and mtb.

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve been living on the edge of the NYMs for the last year, so not an expert but I’ve done quite a bit exploring. For me the road riding is exceptional, really top notch. Quiet roads in good condition, great scenery and challenging climbs. I find it a very “low stress” place for road riding versus any of the other English National Parks due to the good road network and low traffic. It’s great being able to ride up on the moor and stop at the beach in the same ride. If you’re in Filey I would take the road bike.

The mountain biking is very extensive and a great way to explore. It’s not got the extensive gnarr of the Lakes or Peaks but there’s plenty of singletrack and some good downhills. Again, the extensiveness and quiet probably set out from other parks. If you’re some sort of enduro warrior you might be a bit underwhelmed by the miles of moor top pedalling.

tomlevell

From Filey with limited time take the road bike. No need to have to take the car from the family then either.

Don’t ignore the Wolds to the south. Nice climbs and quiet roads.

Hills around Scarborough are nice too. Harwood Dale, Hackness.

There’s a couple of evil little climbs in Scarborough itself also.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, really looking forward to it now.

I’m visiting in June so there’s good potential for evening MTB rides if anyone wants to show the local trails?

tomd
    Free Member

I’d be happy to show you around Guisborough Forest on an evening, but that’s up the north end of the moor so about an hour from Filey. If it’s dry it’s outstanding, if it’s wet you’ll understand why Danny Hart won the worlds in 2011.

richvelo
    Free Member

Drop me an email if you want some road routes doing for Strava etc

funkweasel
    Free Member

richvelo, I’d certainly appreciate those too… how’d I find out your e-mail address?

Ah i sent you a PM

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers tomd but Guisborough might be a bit of a stretch, yeah.

richvelo – That’s awesome thanks. If you’d like to share any recommended Strava routes with me via email I can DL them as GPX files myself to save you time & effort. My address is in my profile.

richvelo
    Free Member

What sort of distance are you looking for? What’s your Strava name I can invite you to look at them direct from there.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anything up to about 100km, hilly routes welcome.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/195944

🙂

fingerbang
    Free Member

sorry the hijack, im staying in Hutton le Hole in a few weeks and Im taking my MTB (my road bike is in bits and anyway given the choice MTB always wins)

im planning on doing this route which looks pretty good:

Rudland Rigg

Id be grateful for any suggestions as well though 🙂

ahsf
    Free Member

Hey Stace, this is the area I grew up and call home even if I do live in the Alps now. ( or winter in the alps maritime)
    I will drop you a message on a few MTB rides or even get you some GPX files, some good classic rides on the moors and lots of other stuff in and close to Dalby but not wayward marked.

Andy

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi Andy, that sounds great thanks.

I can DL tracks from Strava if you’ve got any good ones you’ve done.

🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘North Yorkshire coast: take MTB or road bike?’ is closed to new replies.