• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • North west trains & bikes
  • MadBillMcMad

Anyone know if they are enforcing this new policy that bikes have to be booked 24hrs in advance on every train.

Especially thinking of Manchester Piccadilly out to Edale.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’m a northern train driver and haven’t heard anything about it being enforced mate.

crazy-legs

Northern don’t have any policy about it. Basically a case of squeeze the bike on to whichever ramshackle heap of shit turns up vaguely on time.

TransPennine Express have a new policy (as of mid-May) where bikes have to be booked 24hrs in advance although how strict they are about enforcing it. Last time I travelled with them was just before that policy came in, I just rocked up at the station, bouyght a ticket and got on. The conductor, when he checked the ticket, said about the new policy coming in and I made it clear how stupid it was.

The line from Piccadilly out to Edale is Northern Rail so you shouldn;’t have any issues. Other than the trains being ramshackle heaps of shit…  😉

project
    Free Member

northern are getting new trains in august.

crazy-legs

northern are getting new trains in august.

Of which year…?

mattyfez

A train geek friend of mine says the new northern units have reduced or no bicycle capacity though, so careful what you wish for!

At least you can currently actually get a bike on them outside rush hour.

MadBillMcMad

Thanks all.

Best plan my little trip before August then.

Esme
    Free Member

I’ve done Piccadilly out to the Peak District several times (various stations as far as Grindleford).  I’ve never experienced any problems, even with six bikes already on board (on the return journey).  As long as the guard could squeeze past, they’ve seemed quite relaxed about it.

That said, I usually travel mid-morning on a weekday, so I’m not sure about weekends or the rush hour.

As crazy-legs said, Northern don’t do bookings.

It’s fun when the most inaccessible bike is the first off the train . . .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘North west trains & bikes’ is closed to new replies.