Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Non bike products that bike/component manufacturers make
  • benp1

I have an Easton carbon fibre walking pole. It’s bloody excellent!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Also made some filing cabinets I believe?

Don’t Easton make baseball bats and hockey sticks?

I think they did, but now the name is just used by someone else (part of the same group as RaceFace, hence why Easton mtb handlebars dissapered).

ElShalimo

I’ve got Easton alu trekking poles, they’re great

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Easton have always (well, since the ‘40s) made the best arrows, in aluminium, carbon, and carbon/aluminium combined. Still do.

IA

Came across this the other day from Litespeed I don’t know exactly what input they had or even if they built anything but Mars Rover, Curiosity.

They made the rocker bogies – that’s the frames/linkages that connect the wheels to the body.

sofaman

Sick.

Ah, no, sorry – they don’t fullfil the brief.

DezB
    Free Member

Did a few rides with Bob Strawson(?) who was one of the head honchos from Middleburn many years ago. He said they made components for the medical industry. No evidence of that here, but says they were in Aerospace and F1
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Inside-Middleburn-from-aerospace-to-MTB.html

ElShalimo

What about Decathlon?

ElShalimo

And Easton tent poles !!!

qwerty
    Free Member

Ohlins make motorbike suspension & Magura the brakes.

rickmeister

Tune… Salt / pepper pots and coffee grounds tampers from Lefty hubs. Not quite in the Mars Rover league but still…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Whyte Bicycles and F1 cars 😬

maccruiskeen

although best know for their stylish and affordable mountain bikes Porsche and Lamborghini also make cars and tractors

Daffy

Chris king also do Coffee Tampers.

As a CK fanboi, I have both the shakers and a pair of tampers.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Most of these examples are manufacturers who also dabble in bike stuff aren’t they?

BadlyWiredDog

Thomson started off manufacturing – and still does – CNC aerospace components.

From their website:

L.H. Thomson Company was founded in 1981 by Loronzo H. “Ronnie” Thomson with the vision to manufacture the finest precision aerospace CNC machined parts, proudly made in Macon Georgia, USA.

In the mid 90’s, Ronnie lent his engineering expertise to a pet project, and created a ground breaking one-piece bicycle seat post for his daughter, who at the time was a collegiate MTB racer. Thomson designed, patented, then set the standard by utilizing aerospace engineering to create the perfect bicycle component… the Thomson Elite seat post.

twonks

I have some Easton ice hockey skate.

Santa Cruz boards.

jimmy

Not quite the same, but when we moved into our first homes, a mate (who liked the nice things in life) bought a Porsche kettle (made by Siemens). It was 3x the price of a normal, nice enough kettle. We used to joke that it went 0-100deg in 3 seconds. Oh, the jokes.

welshfarmer

My first drop bar bike was a BSA, commonly referred to as a “Bloody Sore Arse”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Small_Arms_Company

I guess 50 years ago many of the big bicycle manufacturers were just offshoots of larger engineering concerns which either went under or became completely bike specific.

Paul-B

Can’t believe nobody hasn’t mentioned Orange and filing cabinets yet…unless I missed it 😛

dovebiker

I remember Middleburn who were a sub-contact machining company as they were a supplier for the company I worked for at the time. They did indeed make medical equipment as they machined the regulator bodies for emergency oxygen cylinders carried on passenger aircraft amongst other things.

richmtb

Panaracer have a small consumer electronics arm under a similar name that makes a few TVs

BadlyWiredDog

Can’t believe nobody hasn’t mentioned Orange and filing cabinets yet…unless I missed it 😛

And of course, they used to make an extensive range of mobile phones.

superdan

If I remember right, ODI grips are/were a sideline out of an injection moulding company that does Christmas decorations etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You missed it (cryptically hidden in the windsurfing sails reference as they started off as a spin off from Tushingham sails).

Santa Cruz boards.

Different company, although Rob Roskopp did used to work for them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Panaracer have a small consumer electronics arm under a similar name that makes a few TVs

Also Panavision (cameras and lighting) and Panavice (grip).

owenh

Exposure (USE) have a range of products aimed at the sailing and boating market. Torches, strobe lights and man overboard tracker tags. Ive got one of their SOS strobe lights for kayaking.

Still with the sailing and boating tie up Neil Pryde had a range of road bikes for a few years. Using their carbon fibre and aero knowledge. Bikes were a sideline for them based on senior guy being a keen cyclist I seem to remember.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

As well as eBikes Yamaha make musical instruments and golf buggies.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Magura made the hard plastic grips for the controls of a small crane we have at work.

thols2

Whyte Bicycles and F1 cars 😬

It was a milk float, not an F1 car.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Cannondale dabbled in MX bikes a few years ago. It did not end well.

http://chainslapmag.com/2016/10/form-no-function-cannondale-moto-experiment/

TiRed

Reynolds 853 tubing was for crash protection in car doors, rather than bike tubing.

maccruiskeen

Also Panavision (cameras and lighting) and Panavice (grip).

And panacotta (jelly milk)

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Non bike products that bike/component manufacturers make’ is closed to new replies.