Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Noisy freewheels
  • enfht
    Free Member

Why are some freewheels silent whilst others make that clicking sound?

I just replaced my wheels and now I’m stuck with that familiar clicking whenever I stop pedaling? 😡

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

its all to do with pawl engagement i love the sound of clicky hope wheels!!! but other prefer the silent shimano

put some greese on the pawl surfaces to stop the clicking noise!! but not to much as the hub wont engage any more

enfht
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll try that, but can anyone tell me wtf a pawl engagement is? Thanks again

AndyPaice
    Free Member

pawls are the ratchety bit in the freehub that engage with the hub when you pedal. the buzzing noise is the ratchet passing over the engagement teeth when you freewheel.

more grease = quieter as 1111 said

enfht
    Free Member

Im a numpty sorry guys, where exactly do I add the grease?

I take the cassette back off, then what?

enfht
    Free Member

boing

thomthumb
    Free Member

inside the freehub. what hub do you have?

and if don’t know this are you sure you want to do be doing it? 😯

Stu

Usually you take the cassette off, then the free hub body (bit the cassette sides onto), then it goes boing as the springs and pawls fly off round the room! 🙄

enfht
    Free Member

New rims from merlin with an XT freehub, I transplanted my existing SRAM cassette and Avid brake disc from my old wheels, I used the correct tools incl torque wrench etc but I didne’ grease anywhere? Have I done summit wrong?

enfht
    Free Member

I didnt grease inside the freehub at all ?

enfht
    Free Member

surely the bearings etc were greased when merlin assembled the wheels no?

freeandsingle
    Free Member

May I respectfully suggest that you put up with the noise? Cup and cone bearings offer a world of adjustment pain for the novice mechanic compared to sealed ones, besides, once you’re going fast enough you won’t hear the hub 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

it will be greased at the factory; to make it quieter you need to add more grease.

shimano ones are hard but not impossible to service

sheldon knows

enfht
    Free Member

So the wheel builder didnt under-grease it, and I don’t need to add any grease

Done.

Cheers

click click click click click click click click click click click click

ScotlandTheScared

Of course the bearings etc are already greased – you didnt do anything wrong! Your hub is not broken its making the noise its supposed to…
    However, by putting a slightly heavier coating of grease on the surface inside the outer shell where the pawls contact (you’ll see lots of notches) the noise can be made quieter. This involves you taking off the cassette and then dismantling the freehub shell into its component parts.

To be honest – I would leave it alone. It makes a clicky noise because it is designed to – thats how ratchets work. Some are louder than others – I’d just get used to it…

enfht
    Free Member

bit of a shock that was all, the hub it replaced (deore) was completely silent but know I know why

ta

click click etc

ourmaninthenorth

If it’s clicking, you’re not riding hard enough….

enfht
    Free Member

I used to be known as “the silent assasin”, now I’m “that clicky bastard”

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Noisy freewheels’ is closed to new replies.