Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Noise cancelling headphones – quality vs price
  • alric
    Free Member

looks like a good price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bang-Olufsen-Beoplay-Wireless-Headphones-Charcoal-Grey/dp/B01N6S83CL?tag=22

never tried any, but could do with something wireless in ear for work and sleep

I dont get on with normal cheape arphones that come with the samsung etc, they always fall out

ahsat

Had a pair of £50 Sonys which I used to fly to Japan, West coast USA etc. They were fundamentally fine but my good did my ears start to hurt as they just crushed your ears. This summer I picked up a pair of Bose QC 35s (v1, to be found at a good price on the Bose outlet website) and it’s like night and day. I’m not an audiophile but wow they are so much more comfortable and block out so much noise. It means I can happily work on trains and planes. Plus the battery life is excellent (my old pair ment having spare AAAs in my bag they didn’t last that long and could easily be switched on by accident). Having lived with them for 3 months I think they were totally worth the money for me.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The new x3 Sony’s are getting some good reviews – but it seems you need to upgrade the earcups as they sit very close to your ears. Might not be such an issue in UK but here in Oz, sweaty ears are not comfortable. Any the sound quality if you use them connected to your phone isn’t great for some reason. QC35s seem to be the way to go but I’d audition a few pairs before shelling out 150+. I’ve been tempted but already got some AT 40x and a usb DAC so I’m not going to beat that combo for sound quality unless I spend a fair bit more.

nixie

Any recommendations for child friendly sets (clearly childmis not getting a £300 set!). We have volume limited ones for her at the moment but even on max she complains about them being too quiet with her tablet. Wondering if active cancellation would mean she can use a lower volumes (main use car and flying). Her tablet has a low volume output so not worried about her cranking them up.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve used some decent in ears that were a cheap STW PSA on Amazon a few year ago coupled with a pair of over ear industrial ear defender’s for long haul Oz flights.

Get some odd looks but don’t care as it’s quiet (and cheap)

paulwf

The Bose ones are reduced again on Amazon – they are very good and a lot cheaper than normal

Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Around-Ear Noise Cancelling Wired Headphones for Samsung and Android Devices – Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VW7U8X4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4jb8BbEXT635A

Stoner
    Free Member

woohoo, just arrived. So confirmation that these come with the case, the airline headphone scoket adaptor, the phono cable with inline controller and even a AAA battery.

Off to go and test

Stoner
    Free Member

First impressions.

Light headset, sits comfortably on the ears despite it looking like the left and right cups are orientated incorrectly. Nice detail is the printed large L and R inside the cups.

Cable feels good quality and the long straight phono connector to the phones sits deep inside the phone shell for good protection. Protected 90degree connector for the output end.

Noise cancellation is startling. Ive got the rugby on the TV in the background – the hum from the stadium completely disappears. All that’s left is the higher frequency voice sounds of the commentators. All the bass notes from conversation are gone. Sitting in the kitchen it complete removes the sound of the refrigerator compressor! I’m impressed. I want to try these out in the landrover this week and see how much engine noise it removes from the Motorway trip…

Initially I thought that the speakers were a little suspect, then I realised that I was actually hearing the recording noise on the Slowdive track. The recording was actually dirty, not the headphone output. Flicked over to a cleaner piece of music and it’s crisp and pure sound.

Google assistant opens automatically on “OK Google”, just need to find the setting that allows me to wake google assistant when phone screen is locked. A reminder that there are two models of these headphones – Android and iOS and you need the right one. The android one even has a little Android logo on the back of the inline controller.

Press and hold the centre button to also launch GA

Battery door is stiff and closing/locking it gives me the fear that Im going to break it. Hopefully it will wear in and become softer/less brutal. Inline controller is right up by the earphone end so you cant see the buttons while pressing them.

CountZero

Not necessarily noise cancelling, although using longer triple-flanged eartips will give a very good seal equal to industrial hearing protection, this is a review of a number of earphones costing $50 or less, so may be of some interest here:

The 9 Best Earbuds Under $50

cb

On those cheap Bose – how do you connect with a phone that doesn’t have a standard headphone jack?  Are adpaters available for all phone types?

martymac

Nixie, your thinking is correct, NC headphones allow you to use a lower volume and still hear the music etc clearly.

nixie

@martymac Thanks, have ordered a set of Bose for myself (to drown out my own children in flight to Oz next year!). Will let the monkey try them out in the car (just once!)

nixie

@cb

On those cheap Bose – how do you connect with a phone that doesn’t have a standard headphone jack?

There are generic usb-c or lightening to 3.5mm headphone jack adaptors available.

w00dster

Just bought the QC35II, very comfortable and light. (£289 from John Lewis)

Tried pretty much all John Lewis Noise Cancellations, the Bowers & Wilkins  PX were very good, better than the Bose for music and slightly better noise cancellation. The B&W also felt a bit more high end, just felt and look more expensive. But they weren’t as comfortable on the ear, the Bose has a really comfortable pad.

I’m sat in the work canteen using them now, probably 200 other people about, table tennis and pool being played, can still hear them but its not noisy. The low rumble of voices has all been cancelled out. Higher pitched noises still come through. Overall though its very good.

Stoner
    Free Member

Just to add some extra experiences to this thread. Am currently sat in lovely Gatwick Airport enjoying my bubble of silence. Score one to the bose qc25. I had time to kill so while mooching about the overpriced “tax free” shops I had to quick try out of the two Sony NC headphones, the 1000x and the H900 I think  Both comfortable and the 1000x noise cancellation was excellent and possibly better than the bose. The h900 was noticeably but not markedly poorer at noise cancellation. Both however had a greater feel of claustrophobia when the NC is turned on than the bose, although bose still has a the same effect to a lesser extent.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We all know which shop you spent money in, Stoner…

alpin
    Free Member

the other week i bought a pair of Sennheiser 4.50 BTNC (bluetooth noise cancelling?) at the airport for 139,99€. bit of an impulse.

the GF won a set of sooperdooper Sennheiser Urbanites a few years ago. the sound is great, but they are massive and the cable tended to annoy me.

the 4.50 things are good. good sound and effective noise cancelling. they make travelling on the tube bearable. i’m in my own little world.

think they can be had for less than what i paid despite mine being on offer.

oldtennisshoes

Just trying a pair of Soundcore Life 2s by Anker. £65 in a bundle with case, power bank and some cables. Early indications are good. ANC seems decent and sound quality is more than good enough for my non hd lug holes. Just need to decide on long term comfort.

Del

anker make some great stuff.
    i picked up some of the qc25s mentioned further up. i was also able to get a third party bluetooth adaptor that fits very neatly and would pass muster at a glance as part of the headphones. great sound and very convenient without the cable. doubt i’ll ever fly without them.

smogmonster

Sony XM2s. End of story. Ive owned these for the last 3 years and theyve flown around the world more times than i care to think about, and never missed a beat. Much better noise cancellation than the Bose QC25s i had previously and very nearly (though admittedly not quite) as comfy. That said the Bose are extraordinarily comfortable! I gather the XM3 model is even better again..

molgrips
    Free Member

Oldtennisshoes – what’s the NC like? Is it like, ‘oh, that’s pretty quiet’ or ‘zomg I’ve gone deaf’ ?

onewheelgood

I picked up a pair of the Sennheisers mentioned a few times up there – the M2 AEBT – for £189 on Amazon last month. At that price they are awesome. Seem to be back up to £229 now though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sony XM2s. End of story

Mate, this is (or was) a thread about good NC for low price. Recommending a £350 pair isn’t a great help!

oldtennisshoes

Oldtennisshoes – what’s the NC like? Is it like, ‘oh, that’s pretty quiet’ or ‘zomg I’ve gone deaf’ ?

Pretty good actually – the over ear design helps, but you can definitely tell when it’s on and there’s none of the slight hiss you get with some.

molgrips
    Free Member

Out of interest then – have you tried really expensive ones?

chakaping
    Free Member

I bought the Qc25s before, possibly the best 130 quid I’ve ever spent.
    Invaluable for tuning out office chatter or other people’s shit music.
    Makes noisy Northern Rail train rides much more relaxing.

oldtennisshoes

Out of interest then – have you tried really expensive ones?

Yes, Bose QC35 IIs – which are truly excellent, but for less than a quarter of their price, the soundcores are more than worth the money.

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Noise cancelling headphones – quality vs price’ is closed to new replies.