Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • noddy guide for setting a hard drive up for a ps3 please!!
  • renton
    Free Member

As title I have a couple of external hard drives with music and movies on I would like to play through my new ps3.

However when I plug them into it the ps3 doesn’t even notice them?

Apparently I need to convert a file format or something!!

Can someone help me set it all please!!

Cheers

Steve

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I haven’t ever changed my hard drive but I think you have to format the hard drive when you put a new one in the ps3. that would delete everything on it. but if you put a suitable hard drive in, you can copy what you want onto the hard drive with a usb stick or other hard drive connected by usb

Cougar

Alternatively, plug ’em into a PC and stream to the PS3 over the network. I use Serviio, but I think there’s a thing called “PS3 Player” or similar which does the same job.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Ps3 media server is the software cougar refers too.
    It works. Never tried anything else so can’t comment on whether their are any better ones out there

winston_dog
    Free Member

The drive needs to be formatted as FAT32.

PS3 usb drive

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

Does it not see the HDD or just the files on it?

If it is just the files not showing up select the drive then press the green triangle button and select “show all files” (or something similar.)

This worked for a film on a USB stick of mine.

renton
    Free Member

Nah it’s not even picking up the hdd.

If I convert one of my hdd to this fat32 will it still work when plugged into my computer or will it be PlayStation specific then?

sausagefingers
    Free Member

yup,as winston dog says.
    my external hard drive is fat 32,plug it into the usb and it plays everything through the ps3.it appears under movies/music tabs – press triangle button i think and it displays all content

sausagefingers
    Free Member

it’ll still work on your pc

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘noddy guide for setting a hard drive up for a ps3 please!!’ is closed to new replies.