Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Simple or Solaris for a single speed build ?
  • righog
    Free Member

It wont happen for a while so no build pics yet 🙂

My next bike will be a cotic single speed 29er.

But I was wondering if it would be a better bet to single speed a Solaris rather than buying a Simple ? This would give me the option of gears if I wanted them. I have not had the best of experiences with track ends on my current single speed, but this has improved lately with the use of a fixed axle.

Any thoughts,experiences or pics ?

peanut
    Free Member

I guess that if you are 100% sure you will never need/want gears for that bike, then go with the Simple. If there will be occasions when gears would be good, go for the Soaris. I have two bikes that are predominently ss, but for ‘big’ terrain stuff its good to have the option of putting even a 1×9 set-up. You will just have to put up with a slightly less neat looking build on the Solaris in ss mode.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Solaris here. In practice I run it SS with a tensioner all the time, but having a tensioner suits my transmission maintenance regime too.

Of course, I still have the choice of gears if I want them.

I think alot of people don’t like the aesthetics of a tensioner, or they end up using one thats rubbish and they have bad experiences with them.

honourablegeorge

I don’t like the aesthetics of a tensioner much, but the aesthetics of that horrible colour of the Simple are even less appealing.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

A tensioned Solaris earlier

righog
    Free Member

It’s looking like a no brainer for the Solaris, but what if :- you liked the colour of the simple and threw an alfine into the mix.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You’d get something heavier that did the same thing, with slightly cleaner lines.

Vortexracing

Have a word with Cy and see if a gear hanger off the Roadrat will fit the simple, that way you can have both.

Clink

transmission maintenance regime

Does it require a manual? 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It would for you! 😯

Clink

Shake off mud, put in garage – done! 😆

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Solaris here running a Rohloff with a tensioner. Agreed…its not the most aesthetically pleasing set up (…you dont look at the mantlepiece when you’re poking the fire!) but I decided on the Solaris as I figured it’d be easier to sell the frame if I ever decided to change. I’ve owned 2 x 26″ simples and they eventually sold but the market was obviously smaller so it took some time.

Incidentally, I spoke with Cy re the road rat hanger and from memory it’s a non starter.

Untitled by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

ontor
    Free Member

simple plus alfine gets my vote.

sheck

How difficult is it to swap over to an Alfine set up. I’m thinking of a new SS for the winter, but would want the bike to be geared up for summer, when my daughter will be accompanying me in her trailer. Was thinking sliding drop outs would allow me to SS and bolt n a rear mech, but if swapping to an Alfine was <15mins, it’s another option

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Simple or Solaris for a single speed build ?’ is closed to new replies.