Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • No-one's mentioned the Nukeproof Mega for about 2 weeks!
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

My lbs say they’ve been selling well, most of the first batch gone and good rider feedback. Are people just out riding them loads with no time to post here? (I’m about to take mine out into the Peaks). Yes, you could regard it as a skill compensator (or is it just a better tool for the job?) I ride faster over gnarlier terrain and climb stuff easier than before (575 with revs) so my riding has improved. I’m stoked! (Although cursing Yeti for keeping the SB66 quiet!)
    I’m not pushing the bike (hmm, me posting this refutes that – what a paradox!), I’m quite happy for no more ever to be sold! It’s my secret weapon and makes me seem a much better rider than I probably am!
    Any other Mega owners agree?

trout
    Free Member

Skill compensator Maybe ( but that applies to all FS dunt it )
    had about 7 rides on mine with one biggy in the dales and a good one in the peaks last weekend .
    Liking it very much apart from it being 3 lbs heavier than the HT it replaces goes up well and down I am back to challenging my mates in the race to the bottom ( so compensating well for the skill deficit )

a Bit less ground clearance than the Mmbop so had a few more pedal strikes than before .

a few more local small rides before its week long test in the lakes next month .

Certainly ride faster and for longer over the gnarly stuff and seem less fatigued after a day in the saddle .
    and my gob is well and truly smacked by the uphill performance of the frame not the engine

I have no idea if it is better or worse than similar styles of frames
    but it does seem to have helped the mojo return

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Cat among the pigeon time – will be probably putting mine up for sale as after 2 rides I am coming to the conclusion that for the type of riding I do I’m overbiked 80% of the time. I have found that whilst it climbs surprisingly well it only starts to come alive when you start to crank up the speed through fast rocky sections where it feels brilliant, however where i ride is slower speed natural singletrack with a lot of tight switchbacks and if truth be told my old Sovereign made much more sense.

Max
    Free Member

Loving mine. My thoughts so far are posted here. Just packed it up for the Alps

boxxer7
    Free Member

Hopefully I should be getting mine when the next batch arrive. Im really un decided on what forks to go for? Its either Revs or some 36 Vanillas, I cant decide which way to go on the build I do like to do a few miles but I love it when it gets rough 😀

Dave.

accu
    Free Member

mundiesmiester…thanks for posting this..
    also have an sovereign ..and ride same kind of trails…

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

It seems like 7 of your last 11 posts have been about this bike frame.

Are you affiliated with the manufacturer?

Nuke-proof is one of those brands that was innovating and genuinely cool in 1992 and now gets stickered onto the latest generic crap from taiwan – IMO.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What nixon_fiend said. I’m becoming bored of coming on here to see repeated posts from you babbling on about the Mega. Its actually on my list of potential purchases later in the year but really, give it a rest…

toons
    Free Member

Skill compensator always makes me laugh; I remember somebody using that comment yet they rode 6″ Bombers on a HT!

z1ppy

Guy’s excited about his new bike, posts lots about it, get over it you guys. S’not like it hasn’t been done a million times before, maybe you fancy a totally orignal orange 5 thread?

Deveron, any more pictures?

and for the record, I don’t have one, won’t be buying one anytime soon (if ever – more bike than I need) & have no affiliation to manufacturer.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They seem unnecessary. They should make a 4inch travel version.

z1ppy

What? A 6″ travel bike unnecessary? Pah, don’t come round here trolling your man!

Though a hard hitting/tough 120mm bike would seem to be the perfect choice for the majority us.
    The Pivot Mach 4 M4X looks lovely…

Deveron53
    Free Member

The Mega is starting to feel part of me now, had a really good ride last night and felt that the Lyriks were getting plusher. The shock and linkage is better than my 575 with RP23, isolates the pedalling forces really well even under hardpack sprinting. I’m amazed!

I’m trying to rival the number of daily posts entitled ‘show me your Orange 5s’. Someone’s got to balance stuff out.
    In the same way, I’m stoked and positive, I balance out the miserable and negative. How’s life under the bridges then trolls? Bit damp? Fed up of hearing the endless trit-trot?

trout
    Free Member

In the same way, I’m stoked and positive, I balance out the miserable and negative.

Nicely put Deveron 😀

freeridenick
    Free Member

great stuff. looks like the next batches are in on 7 july….

boxxer7
    Free Member

Its good to hear peoples views and experiences no ones forcing people to read the thread 😉

Devron what travel lyriks are you running?

Dave.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Dave Boxxer7, I have 160mm Lyriks. I managed to get some Uturns with a 1.5 steerer for £315 inc shipping and duty! I’m using that Brunox Deo fluid as recommended by Sram and it’s made them super-plush.
    slippy stuff
    I have yet to bottom them out…

matthias247
    Free Member

Question to those who already have a frame:
    Can you measure the BB height relative to the wheel axle and also comment which headset (external or internal) and fork travel you have?

Geometry data says only 13,69″ to the ground for the 558mm A2C configuration, but this depends heavily on the tire size. Guess it result in +8mm from axle to BB, but with larger tires it could also be less.

Would be interesting for me because I’m still undecided which headset to choose. Internal for shorter wheelbase or external for more BB clearance. And +8mm already sounds low enough 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why would I mention a Mega when I have something superior and cheaper? (Pitch)

😉

Deveron53
    Free Member

I have some 160mm Lyriks 558mm A2C. External headset. I’m not sure exactly how the BB height is measured but mine’s about 13″ from floor to metal…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its time has passed already………..whats the next big thing for 5 minutes please?

Deveron53
    Free Member

I think this thread is for owners and interested parties to discuss the spec etc. Every other reply seems to be **** trolls trying to get some knee-jerk response. If you don’t like the bike, don’t bother wasting finger ends typing.

Another big ride yesterday, another affirmation that I made the right choice. It just gets better every day.

Northwind

nixon_fiend – Member

Nuke-proof is one of those brands that was innovating and genuinely cool in 1992 and now gets stickered onto the latest generic crap from taiwan – IMO.

This is the weird bit… Because that’s a completely true and fair comment, apart from the frames. So why they’re doing such a mixed-up thing with their brand identity I don’t know. The Mega’s probably great but there’s got to be people thinking “Oh, Nukeproof, they’re the guys that sell the £80 Exotic carbon fork for £150 and the £40 Nano pedals for £55”

steellam
    Free Member

Had mine a week and love it up to now, not a biking god but like having nice gear and up to now its great fun !

Anyone else running the 1.5 lyriks – what stem did you go for? I have come from a more xc bike and i’m using a 65mm downhill sunline cheapy and it feels great but wondering weather a 50 is worth trying.

DT78
    Free Member

Well hows about posting up some pics/spec lists/estimated weight.

I’m interested as a potential replacement to my nomad (nothing wrong with it, just a bit bored with it…)

TomHill
    Free Member

I’ve got a 50mm Thomson x4 with 765mm bars, which feels perfect for me (broad shoulders and gangly 6ft) on a large frame.

jedi

i’m looking forward to seeing one. maybe one of my coaching session riders will turn up with one eone day.

steellam
    Free Member

Only been out twice on it up to now but it feel great to me ! Defo made going down over rougher stuff easier for better or worse but i’m no mtb god and will be upping the speed when i get more used to the bike, feels a lot different to the more xc type setup i’m used too.

I’m 5’11” average build which put me between large and medium on the recommended frame size and I went for a medium wanting something I can throw about more than my last bike, a large cube stereo (which will be up for sale when I’v put it back to factory spec).

Spec wise i’v gone for –

Nuke Proof Generator Wheels (sun ringle rebadged)
    Nuke Proof Warhead 760 riser bars
    Nuke Proof Element Skinny Lock On Grip
    Formula Oro Bianco Brakeset 2008 (150 euro special offer on their site)
    Nuke Proof Warhead 44EEOS-DC Headset
    Rock Shox Lyrik U-Turn 1.5″ Forks 2010 (on offer on crc)
    Shimano SLX 660 10 Speed Groupset (actionsport.de offer)
    Sunline V1 DH Stem – 1.5″

Using my uppy-downy reverb seatpost, fizik gobi saddle & 2.3 High Rollers off my last bike.

Can put some pics up and weight tommorow !

matthias247
    Free Member

@Deveron53: BB height is measured from the floor to the middle of the bottom bracket. And then if you measure from the floor to the middle of the wheel axle and subtract this from the first value you get the relative BB height 🙂

Deveron53
    Free Member

@steellam, I’ve got some 1.5 Lyriks and run a 50mm stem. It’s just a cheapy Kona one for 12 quid off ebay at the mo, I’ll get a nicer one eventually. I had a 65mm 1.5 Sunline DH stem but found it a bit long and heavy, flogged it on ebay cheap, you may have bought it off me!

@matthias247, BB is around 13.5 I think.

Euro
    Free Member

Staff discount for all Nukeproof stuff is a whopping 40% if you work for CRC.

Maybe not the kind of mention you wanted though.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Staff discount for all Nukeproof stuff is a whopping 40% if you work for CRC.

Maybe not the kind of mention you wanted though.

Are you ‘outing’ someone as a secret CRC employee? Who?

steellam
    Free Member

Quick pic using my phone if anyone is interested –

Weighs around 33 lbs (done with bathroom scales :D)

@Devron, I got my stem from crc would have had yours off you if i knew 🙂 It does seem a bit weighty gonna ditch it when i make my mind up about length but things seem limited on the 1.5 inch forks.

climbingkev
    Free Member

What rise bars are people using? With the external headset and 40mm rise bars mine feels a bit “lofty”. I’m an average 5’11” on a medium frame, stem is 60mm, 6deg. Thinking of going 20mm or even flat…..anyone tried a few combo’s and fancy sharing their thoughts?

Tweaking aside I love it although it’s use has been brief so far……damn work!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘No-one's mentioned the Nukeproof Mega for about 2 weeks!’ is closed to new replies.