Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)
  • No car, no gnarr, but how far?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just avoid honeypots. If you’re think “I fancy a ride around………..”, pick somewhere else because someone with less imagination has already thought of doing that ride.

One of my local spots is usually reasonably quiet, definitely not a honeypot, and you can choose routes to avoid people. Went up the other weekend (first weekend of lockdown maybe) and it was busier than I’ve seen it in years. It was as though some dormant memory in every dog owners mind for a 5 mile radius was triggered that the moor was a nice place to walk. Hence car parks full etc. Turned around and headed back for the woods.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’m running round the neighbourhood stark bollock naked – nobody has come within 50ft of me!

matt_outandabout

We’ve a small country lane near our house, a small 5-6km loop and also a 11km up to middle of nowhere.
    For the past 6 years we’ve walked, cycled and run up there. I’m lucky to see one other person on every other trip, usually one of the farmer’s or estate cottage residents up there.

This morning’s run at 7.30am I saw two families on the way out and a further 6 walkers or runners on the way back.

Yesterday’s cycle ride down the lane saw two families and two individuals on bikes.

brassneck

Never even thought about the contagion risk seriously, simply not enough contact with people or surfaces, but I’ve never ever had precognition of my big offs and never considered I was doing anything risky when they happened. Hence I’m limiting my exposure to incident by limiting the time I’m out, and bumbling more than usual. There’s a balance, and I don’t think cracking out 120Km on the rivet is it… but YMMV

BadlyWiredDog

You should only go as far away from your house as you can crawl back with two broken legs and/or other major injuries. This will vary with terrain obviously, but is an excellent rule of thumb.

When crawling, you should still proctice social distancing unless assisted by others from your household.

Finally, if this does happen to you, be sure not to mention it on social media 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

Riding doesn’t have to be exciting to count as exercise. Do you want to exercise or have a nice time?

Having a nice time is pretty important mentally. There is a huge rise in domestic violence, not sure about suicide, but you can’t pretend there’s no mental health component behind even the domestic violence.

Having said that, I’m doing what I can to restrict ride times, I think there’s a certain amount of not doing that local mega loop you’ve worked out just because it doesn’t technically break the rules. Part of the reason is that you’re bound to meet people. But I guess you’ve got to look like you’re following the spirit too. Most of my rides are not that popular areas anyway, but I’ve avoided one ride because the path I use to access it is like Buchannan street with the number of people that suddenly need to go out for a walk.

longdog
    Free Member

A statement by Scottish Ministers on what exercising rights of access responsibly under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 means during the COVID-19 emergency.

Stay local – please do not travel in your car to take exercise; please make use of the paths, open spaces and quiet roads in your own local area

https://www.gov.scot/publications/ministerial-statement-on-access-rights-during-covid-19/

supernova

Forest of Dean cops are saying they’ll be hanging out at Cannop cycle centre this weekend looking to execute infringers on the spot. Or words to that effect.

doomanic

So now that’s common knowledge every one will park at Parkend instead.

joepud
    Free Member

One thing I think needs to be covered is if you do go out make sure your bikes working even more than normal. I live in London so its road rides only and am ensuring I have all the normal things I would take on a mountain bike ride as I can’t just hop on a train if the worst happens.

supernova

Probably. I certainly won’t be politely reining in my biggest dog if I see groups above Mallards. They’ll be getting their legs chewed off.

chrismac

We are just going out for 3 hrs and planning routes that keep us away from people. Last weekend we saw about a dozen, of which over half were in the first miles getting out of the suburbs. To minimise risk we was our riding gloves after each ride with the rest of the kit. I certainly spent more time near people yesterday in 10 minutes in the supermarket than on the whole ride

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

PURITY SPIRAL

Stop correcting me, you’re not better than me.

Sandwich

So far it’s been fuss-free to get an hour or two in the sunshine away from home. Tuesday I had to deviate from the plan as another chap was on the same schedule as me and I caught him once, turned off shortly afterwards and saw him again a bit later but eased off to avoid catching him again and went a different way at the next junction. Otherwise it’s just been me and my thoughts, though we’re all saying morning or afternoon more readily as we pass on opposite sides of the road.

whitestone
    Free Member

So, in a combined whataboutery and purity spiral top trumps I give you https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-52221688

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Box Hill closed for the W/e – given everything I think it’s understandable:

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/8037/box-hill-closed-to-cyclists-and-cars-for-easter-to-prevent-the-spread-of-coronavirus

northernsoul

So, in a combined whataboutery and purity spiral top trumps I give you https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-52221688

If you want to be really depressed, look at the comments for that article (sorted lowest rating first).

tjagain

Living in a city I can happily say it’s perfectly possible to go for a ride without driving. Just takes imagination

crazyjenkins01

@northernsoul, Jesus H Christ! Some of those comments are nuts. Although some of them are also actually right on the money having a subtle dig at the dumb-dumbs in charge…

“Why should anyone take this virus seriously when we’ve been told all it takes to get better if you have it is “strength of character”? (as Raab said about Boris).”

…but seems some people have rated them low because his followers cant have the mighty BoJo and his mates, I mean Party, being criticised!

SaxonRider

Exercise isn’t only about getting the heart rate going and moving a few muscles, or we’d be restricted to our houses, jumping up and down in front of the TV like a scene from 1984. There are also mental health benefits.

I believe unreservedly in living responsibly, and considering others – especially in the midst of this pandemic. I have to say, however, that @scotroutes has it bang on here. If I wasn’t getting out on the roads (while still respecting the social-distancing rules), and doing decently=long rides, I would be obsessing about the best ways to take my own life and not sleeping, then having to visit my GP and putting a massive drain on the national sertraline stock. And I don’t say that lightly.

hels
    Free Member

I’ve taken to going out super early, first light, stealth mode, and doing short hilly loops. Good interval training! I am concerned about get abuse from ignorant vigilantes, luckily they seem to like a lie in.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I shall make a special effort to come out and tell you to get a f*****g move on. You may not remember shouting that at me, it was about 16 years ago at the Sidlaws.

retrobri
    Free Member

Been riding early doors or at night, all from the doorstep as live in countryside, 15-20 off road miles, no gnarr or playing strava wars!

Last Sunday I was late out, like 11am , amount of cars parked in my local woods and then folk out on the trails (dog walkers, folk from local town probs).  I normally see 5 people tops, must have counted 30 last Sunday 🙁

6am start tomorrow!

maccruiskeen

Tuesday I had to deviate from the plan as another chap was on the same schedule as me and I caught him once, turned off shortly afterwards and saw him again a bit later but eased off to avoid catching him again and went a different way at the next junction.

Thats what I’m like on any ride – not just during the lock down. Can’t bear company on a ride in any circumstances!

iainc

I am only just returning to riding after a long medical layoff so gentle solo road rides from home of an hour or so are just right for me. I have been surprised and disappointed at some of the 80 mile or 4 hour rides some of my acquaintances, both physical, and on Strava, have been popping out these last few weeks, given the clear government and BC guidance to keep it short and local. Regular riders, semi and pro riders and brand ambassadors.

However I have been fairly unanimously shot down for calling these out as poor behaviour so have decided just to ignore it now. I guess it’s maybe a bit of a goldfish bowl situation so I’m not gonna be judgemental, as fundamentally I have no right to do so.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

given the clear government and BC guidance to keep it short and local.

Go on then, show us that clear Government guidance.

dogbone

Iainc. +1. I’ve unfollowed several people on Strava as it just winds me up (7 hour road rides!).
    Have followed Danny Hart instead..

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I’ve unfollowed several people on Strava as it just winds me up (7 hour road rides!).

I’m sure they’ll get over it.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m reframing people’s irritation at lots of people being out as, you know, maybe not being such a bad thing. In the short term, it might make stop them spiralling into low mood and/or depression and make them better able to cope with the lockdown and whatever’s on the other side.

And in the longer term, maybe for some of them it’ll stick. They’ll carry on getting outside – walking, running, biking, abusing people etc – and become healthier, happier and less of a burden on the NHS. One of the more terrifying things I’ve learned recently isn’t so much that 70% of hospitalised coronavirus patients are overweight, obese or clinically obese, but that this actually roughly reflects the state of the population as a whole.

Wouldn’t it be great if one of the longer term outcomes of this were that we ended up with a healthier population?

Hey, I can dream.

Meanwhile, as I’m at the tail-end of something that’s very probably been Covid-19, but might have just been altitude sickness brought on by living in the Peak District, I’ve not ridden for three weeks or so – and that, it turned out, wasn’t my brightest ever move – but when I’m back on the bike, I’ll mostly be riding hilly back lanes relatively close to home.

I genuinely don’t care what others do as long as they stay two metres away from me. I can’t change it. And I mostly have faith in people’s ability to decide what works for them within the strictures of common sense and mental health.

If you want to run laps around your backyard and that makes you feel safe and responsible that’s fine, but raging about other people having different ideas of what works is pointless and probably stressful too.

You are not the police or the government, or the Ministry of Truth, and you do not have mystical powers allowing you to control the actions of others, you are just another human being living in weird times where we should be looking after each other, not telling people what to do.

Sorry about that, it went slightly ranty at the end, particularly the painfully ironic bit where I was telling people not to tell people what to do 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

Where did the hour thing come from. Was it just that short clip of Gove being stopped in the street?

There was a massive rant on a local facebook group last night after people were asked to stop riding through a local village because they were spreading the virus. The hour thing was bought up quite a lot.

BadlyWiredDog

Where did the hour thing come from. Was it just that short clip of Gove being stopped in the street?

That. And some since deleted police tweet.

My nomination for idiocy goes to the folk who moored up their houseboat on the canal side near here, then blocked off the tow-path with random junk and stuck a sign up asking people not to come within two meters of their boat. I bet they’d have mined the path if they could.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Yup, plus he caveated that an 1hr is fine for most people, as in the vast majority of people who hardly/dont exercise normally.

The official lines from the government does not mention any restriction at all, however if people are choosing to do an hour thats up to them. What gets me is that those people also expect others to do the same and tout it like its the law and are trying to socially shame them for doing so, as we can see by some of the responses on these threads.

homerun
    Free Member

I genuinely don’t care what others do as long as they stay two metres away from me. I can’t change it. And I mostly have faith in people’s ability to decide what works for them within the strictures of common sense and mental health

Same for me, this was posted on the other thread, it’s worth putting up again. It struck a particular chord with me as it fits perfectly with my lifelong mantra.

[url=https://bettafishcaretaker.com/marimo-moss-ball]marimo moss ball light bulb aquarium[/url]

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, I love that graphic. It’s aimed at kids, but makes pretty much universal sense. Plus everyone knows that foxes are dead clever.

The other thing I try to keep in mind is that people are understandably scared. Mostly we don’t have to deal with the risk of something that might actually randomly kill us, so I try to cut folk some slack when they say or do odd things – unless they block off the canal tow-path obviously (as above).

tpbiker
    Free Member

Whilst I’m keeping my rides to under 2 hrs, that’s mainly due to fact that last year my immune system ruined itself by putting in longer rides.

Last 2 hr ride I passed 2 other people. I passed about 10 when out with dog yesterday so I know which one of those presents most risk.

moonsaballoon

Klunk
    Free Member

How does it go again, oh yeah “no ones going to notice a few mountain bikers riding for a few hours in the countryside” or was it “a few mountain bikers riding for 4hrs isn’t going to have any effect on the lock down rules”.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Crossed over Chapel Lane running up to Ranmore this morning and couldnt believe the number of roadies out. To be fair, most of them were on their own so I doubt they were doing any more harm than me going for a quick spin through the woods.

downshep

Went for a gravel ride from home a couple of weeks ago. Normally empty route was surprisingly busy with families, joggers and dog walkers. Returned home after less than 5 miles and haven’t been riding since. Unless going out late evening or at crack of sparrow fart, doubt I’ll be riding again any time soon. If I do, it will be within walking distance of home, I’d hate to require outside assistance.

PE with Joe is a poor substitute but will do for now. This is a pandemic, not a holiday. Those carrying on regardless are obviously grown ups with their own views but bigger rides don’t sit with the official ‘keep it local’ advice and pose a risk of third party contact. Stay safe folks.

andrewreay

BadlyWiredDog

Same near me. Some boat moored up and has flooded the tow path turning it into a quagmire. Now takes longer to pass the boat than if it was dry. Breaching rule one in so many ways.

Ironically enough, the bank on the other side of the canal is empty, so if they are that worried, why not park up there away from the towpath?

I live in a terraced house and the front door opens directly onto the pavement – there’s not even a door step. So when I’m sat down watching TV, I’m about 1m away from all those walking up and down outside. Funnily enough, I don’t see the need to build some sort of moat around the front door, or create other temporary barricades. Nor do any of my neighbours, or anyone living on the surrounding streets in similar terraces. But then we’re not entitled canal boat dwellers.

Rant over.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘No car, no gnarr, but how far?’ is closed to new replies.