Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)
  • No car, no gnarr, but how far?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Was thinking of a ride at the weekend. But the stuff round here is truly tedious.

How wrong is it to ride an hour and a half there, then …..

Ok. Even as I type this I know the response.

Perhaps not.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of 3-4 hour rides, but always carefully chosen to minimise gates and only on wide trails where I can avoid people (or there’s no-one around). Given the lack of specification on how long is too long, I’ve made my own decisions based on transmission risk.

ta11pau1

Sounds like you need a gravel bike.

Daffy

Personally – I wouldn’t do it as it’s not in the spirit of what’s being asked. Saying that, I wound’t be outraged at the idea of someone riding their bike alone for good few hours either.

martymac

It really depends how many people you could affect.
    If your riding an hour and a half along deserted roads and will have contact with no one at all, then I can’t see the harm.
    If you pass through several villages to do this, then you could easily (and unknowingly) pass the virus on to dozens if not hundreds of people.
    You have already pretty much guessed the rest of this thread.
    It’s a pandemic, not a holiday.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

It really depends how many people you could affect

Outside, riding past people at speed?

Probably hardly anyone/no one. The WHO for contact tracing purposes only deem those you have been in contact with for less than 1m distance for a period of 15mins.

I’m still doing 3/4 hrs rides to keep fit. In the guidelines from the government there is no hour limit that people keep banging on about, its come from some MPs own views (Michael Gove as an example, but his comment did say “1hr for most people” meaning he accepts others will need more) rather than the actual documented guidance or law.

Just be sensible and try not to do anything that puts you at a higher risk than you’re normally comfortable with on your ride such as riding along the M25 or 700ft gap jumps.

chrisyork

7 miles, I think getting your normal distance in is silly…. we’re in a pandemic!

kimbers

(Michael Gove as an example, but his comment did say “1hr for most people” meaning he accepts others will need more) rather than the actual documented guidance or law.

I think the whole time limit that Gove made up was just based on what he himself would consider a workout

molgrips
    Free Member

The nice thing about road riding is that you really don’t come near anyone and you don’t have to touch anything.

tomhoward

Was thinking of a ride at the weekend. But the stuff round here is truly tedious.

Riding doesn’t have to be exciting to count as exercise. Do you want to exercise or have a nice time? Only one of those answers is a valid reason to go out.

tjagain

3+ hours for me ( but not every day). Thats a gravel ride from my door. My usual routes modified to minimise the number of people I pass

scotroutes

Riding doesn’t have to be exciting to count as exercise. Do you want to exercise or have a nice time?

Exercise isn’t only about getting the heart rate going and moving a few muscles, or we’d be restricted to our houses, jumping up and down in front of the TV like a scene from 1984. There are also mental health benefits. Advice from our Governments, their advisors and health professionals is that we should undertake exercise to help us with the stress of the current situation (and, indeed, of live in general). If that mental health benefit is significantly enhanced by getting in a few miles away from home, then bloody well go for it.

whytetrash

Road riding around north wales picking back roads its pretty deserted… I’m no risk to anyone… as no legal time constraints or distances in place how would the proposed fine work if you refused to pay and ended up in court? Police locally are flagging down riders to quiz them and mention the hour limit but this seems arbitrary! Coast path is full of dubious characters smoking cannabis and swigging lager whilst exercising… Rhyl s particularly lovely 🙄

tomhoward

Exercise isn’t only about getting the heart rate going and moving a few muscles, or we’d be restricted to our houses, jumping up and down in front of the TV like a scene from 1984.

The more people start going further away from home, for longer, the sooner that will happen.

The more you are out and about, the higher the risks.

halifaxpete

1.5 to 2hrs for me at the moment, usually 15 mile-ish and out early doors to avoid people best I can. Luckily theres loads of good stuff on the doorstep!

chrisyork

I totally agree, the longer you are outside the higher risk you’re being to yourself AND OTHERS! Think about others! ……just as a sobering thought for everyone….my lass works in ICU and so far they have had 70 people in ICU….all died, not a single one survived it! So maybe think about how important those miles really are to you? Is keeping your fitness up really worth the risk!!!

duncancallum

I’m still working doing 15 to 25 mile a day

Friday may ho wild n do 40. No more than 13m from home..

jamesoz

I’m currently using the Singlspeed MTB on the road, means I don’t have to go as far to get the same workout. Plus it’s easy to hop off a cycle path if there’s a chance of meeting people.

phil5556

The nice thing about road riding is that you really don’t come near anyone and you don’t have to touch anything.

Unless you’re the dick that flew past me yesterday. Residential street round the corner from my house, I was sitting on my bike, one foot on the kerb watching the other half pootle along the grass and I felt the wind as he brushed past my shoulder. It’s not a narrow road and there was no one else around, it wouldn’t have hurt him to move over a bit.

cookeaa

I’ve got a couple of variations now on a 25 mile, quiet roads loop that I’m quite enjoying…

The problem isn’t really with people going for a quiet spin in generally deserted locations, it’s the dickheads who pick an obvious location like a park or a towpath at midday. and then get all surprised that all the other mouth breathers have done the exact same thing…

I barely see a soul on my rides, I’m going out either late or early and picking roads that I know won’t be busy. It’s really not that hard to plan.

But I can see more restrictions happening next week once the scumbag contingent go nuts over the bank holiday weekend, and my sort of rides will doubtless be ruled out.

When it happens I will of course comply, turbo and treadmill are already setup in the garage…

molgrips
    Free Member

I totally agree, the longer you are outside the higher risk you’re being to yourself AND OTHERS! Think about others!

I am, that is exactly what I am thinking about all the time.

Simply being outside does not spread the virus. You have to actually interact with people. The ‘don’t go out’ message is aimed at stopping people doing what they normally do when they go out and congregating in certain places like shops or beaches or local beauty spots etc. I am not transmitting the virus if I am road riding away from people. That’s why it’s still allowed.

There’s far more risk at the supermarket or when post gets delivered. Pretty much everything in the supermarket has been handled by several people – even if you wear gloves you are likely to handle it when you get home. Unpacking food is quite tricky without risking contamination.

tomd
    Free Member

The slippery slope fallacy doing some more heavy lifting I see.

To say that someone going for a road ride on their own for a couple of hours will result in widespread disregard for the lockdown, cavorting in the streets an orgies in London parks isn’t very logically sound.

We need to stop cyclists running red lights because if we don’t we’ll have anarchy and murders.

crazy-legs

Ooh, do we reckon this’ll get to 40+ pages like the exact same thread on the subject last week ?!

mahalo

Normally go miles out of may way to stay off road, but at the moment I take the road to avoid other humans (people actually choose to do this for fun!?)so I guess my distance has gone down a bit per average ride? I’ve been going out at about 5pm for 2 hours, always under 10 miles, but that’s just because I’m dicking about in the woods. Im optimising my most human free routes too. Have seen but not a soul a fair few rides now, even at that time!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ooh, do we reckon this’ll get to 40+ pages like the exact same thread on the subject last week ?!

I was feeling the strong sense of deja vu.

Watching Strava most clubmates seem to have settled into the routine of a 1-2h ride every day, so for the fast guys that’s 35-40 miles, for everyone else ~30. Just long enough to run your glycogen down a bit, feel like you’ve done a ride and earn some cake.

The risks of an incident are very small with dry roads, no traffic, daylight. And if you avoid anywhere “nice” then you’ll probably see less people than walking to the post box.

The risk of transmitting the virus is practically zero.

Just avoid honeypots. If you’re think “I fancy a ride around………..”, pick somewhere else because someone with less imagination has already thought of doing that ride.

crazy-legs

Watching Strava most clubmates seem to have settled into the routine of a 1-2h ride every day, so for the fast guys that’s 35-40 miles, for everyone else ~30. Just long enough to run your glycogen down a bit, feel like you’ve done a ride and earn some cake.

Same here, there’s a lot of 20-40 mile rides suddenly appearing!

I’ve managed two rides of just over 60 miles when I’ve “left” work at 4pm and been able to get straight out but most of mine are evening spins of 2hrs max on the CX.

Like you say, choosing time of day and route with a bit of care means you see hardly anyone.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

7 miles, I think getting your normal distance in is silly…. we’re in a pandemic!

So how do you plan on policing that everyone does 7 miles?

Yak

Just doing about an hour with my son. Probably no more than 9miles or so and no further than 3 miles from home. Just a bit of fun time outside – good for the head. Sod fitness. That can happen later.

reluctantjumper

Just doing an hour and a half on my days when I’m not working, out early to avoid the crowds. If I’m feeling restless or want to burn off more energy I’ll do a turbo session.
    Still bike commuting 4 days a week so counting that as my daily exercise.

Judging by the already busy roads and the queues at the supermarkets this morning already I’d say were due a poor long weekend for people obeying the rules so further restrictions may be in the horizon.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I went out on Friday evening for 3½ hours. Risked less contact than if I’d gone out for an hour on Saturday afternoon. Mostly on quiet roads and wide paths but did a couple of fun descents. I mountain bike because it’s fun and keeps me fit. Both are equally important to me. I’m self employed and can’t afford to spanner myself anyway so I like to think I’m a pretty good judge of what I consider to be risky normally. There are some really fun trails close by but I’ve been avoiding those as they have the potential of being a bit of a honey pot and I certainly won’t be going down to the Tweed Valley for the foreseeable.

tuboflard

Based on last nights performance I got 3 miles from my door and promptly fell off in to a stream. Badly gashed my forearm and whacked my knee and chin too. The amount of swearing I did at myself was truly exemplary.

So on that basis I think about 2.5 miles is my limit from now on…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

null

dogbone

I went out on Friday evening for 3½ hours. Risked less contact than if I’d gone out for an hour on Saturday afternoon

Going out for an hour on Friday would have been even less risk.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

For me at the minute its up and out the house by 6.30, a quick hour off-road doing about 7 miles and back for 7.30ish. See the odd dog walker and other rider from afar but as people have mentioned, sticking to the moors where I can see people from hundreds of metres away and take other routes around them.

Over the Easter weekend I might try and squeeze in a couple of extra miles each time but will still be getting back early doors…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And we’re back to moral virtue wars or whatever it was called on the other thread.

My rides shorter and therefore safer.

My rides even shorter, you’re being a dick.

No you’re a dick too, I only did a HITT session, I was knackered in 5 minutes.

Pfffft, I rode on the turbo, you’re all dicks.

Pffftttt, HITT and turbo risks a heart attack, keep it Z2 and below or I’m telling my mum/Boris.

Pfffffffffttttttttttt, I just meditated and used the zen like state to imagine* going for a ride, you’re all so…….like……iresponsible… ……..maannnnnnnnn.

*it was all going well until I imagined yohandome in a skinsuit and had to be medically administered mind-bleach putting a strain on our NHS, should have just gone for a ride.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right but isn’t it just pointless sacrifice? The risk is tiny when road riding, so why sacrifice your mental wellbeing unnecessarily? I mean yes, far more people have it worse, but if I were one of those people who couldn’t get out at all I’m not sure making others suffer without reason would make me feel better.

And if you avoid anywhere “nice” then you’ll probably see less people than walking to the post box.

Yep. Walking around my local park or even streets I get far closer to more people than on a 3hr road ride.

jjxray
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon spot on x1000

scotroutes

PURITY SPIRAL 

Blackflag
    Free Member

Im alternating between a 5k run or a 20 mile road ride a few times a week. In rural Cheshire so lanes are very quiet and always switch sides of the road for others out there. Our biggest risk point by far is the Mrs trips to Aldi that she insists on doing once a week.

whitestone
    Free Member

We’re lucky in that we are in a rural location and even without “lockdown” we can ride on and off-road with very little chance of meeting anyone.

We went out for a couple of hours last night on MTBs. We were passed by one e-bike and one roadie on the road and met one MTB on a cheeky bit of track. That was it. Nothing technical, no trying for Strava PBs or anything like that just a nice evening out. Maximum distance from the house was probably 3km and we did 18km total.

I do appreciate that for those who live in towns and cities doing the above is unlikely or even impossible without at least a short drive – maybe follow a “if it takes longer to drive there and back than the ride itself, then it’s too far” rule? As with a lot of things – if you have to ask then it’s probably wrong.

A lot of people seem to be mistaking “guidelines” for “rules”.

Restrap have a competition on – you’ve to plan a route (road or legal off-road) with as much ascent as possible inside a distance of 80km without using the same climb twice. I managed 2100m from the front door and don’t go more than 6km from home. I also worked out an MTB one on the Helvellyn bridleways with 4500m of climbing – ouch!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘No car, no gnarr, but how far?’ is closed to new replies.