• This topic has 39 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Leku.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Nicking trees ??
  • jekkyl

My garden’s quite bare and I quite fancy a couple of trees, maybe a Rowan or 2. There’s a large woodland area in my local vicinity which covers about 4 miles square. There are millions of trees there and I’m sure the woodland wouldn’t be any worse off for 2 less trees. Wadda ya reckon, not so bad or morally indefensible? 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not just morally but also illegal.

Yak

Probably best to raid the local garden centre at night. Then you could fit out the entire garden in one go. Some gnomes too? Maybe a pond? But you’ll need a fast getaway van, so best nick top-end T5 or vito first.
    😉

DezB
    Free Member

I took a couple of plants from my local woodland and planted them in my garden. They died.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I took a couple of plants from my local woodland and planted them in my garden. They died

…..from shame.

jekkyl

thank you for your story Dez, it was insightful and thrilling. 😐

😀

jon1973
    Free Member

Not just morally but also illegal.

Special branch may be interested.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Maybe if they are small saplings growing much too close to mature trees..

gobuchul
    Free Member

Definitely illegal.

However, it’s pretty much a victim-less crime.

Sounds like a lot of hard work though.

What size tree were you thinking of nicking?

Yak

Yeah, stick it to the law…

councilof10
    Free Member

It’s the wrong time of year, but the best bet is to wait until around October and collect self-seeded yearlings.

Might not be technically legal, but if you use your common sense and take ones that are in a bad position, there’s no harm in it.

If you’re going to start digging up half-standards, A, you’ll need to know what you’re doing, and B, it’s not strictly cricket!

jekkyl

lol. probably no taller than my waist. I’m about 6ft tall.
    Was thinking now would be ideal before the growing season properly gets going.

cdoc
    Free Member

My entire garden is made up of collected wild species, pretty much all grown from seed or cuttings. The local wildlife seem to approve.

Taking a whole plant is a bit of a dick move, unless you can find some end of year saplings in bad spots that might enjoy a better life elsewhere!

sandwicheater

Gateway crime, next stop, the moon!

I’m sure if you asked the owner of said wood regards saplings, they’d not mind.

rocketman
    Free Member

There are loads of uprooted trees on the Chase after storm Doris. Help the FC by removing them *cough*

mudshark
    Free Member

Why not make it a fruit tree – you’d have to pay probably though.

councilof10
    Free Member

My entire garden is made up of collected wild species, pretty much all grown from seed or cuttings. The local wildlife seem to approve.

+1

I’ve got a tray of Italian Cyprus seedlings that are just poking through this week after over-wintering in the fridge. I pinched the pinecone off a stunning Cyprus at an stately home on Lake Como last year…

I love my plants/tree to have a back story! 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Mock my grief whydon’tcha.

spekkie
    Free Member

“Might not be technically legal . . “

You’re right – it might not.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

If anyone cedars you doing that yew’ll be in trouble and you’ll be pining for your freedom….

IGMC

jekkyl

So, in summary:
    .Not too bad morally if you take one that is close to another large tree or is likely to perish.
    .Other people have done it and condone it.
    .Stolen vegetation may have an early demise.

Right! *dons balaclava*

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I remember as a child, my parents ‘rehoming’ a sapling from the side of the forest drive near Levisham in the Moors. Think that died too… I wish I had too from the shame of having criminal parents.

jon1973
    Free Member

“Might not be technically legal . . “

RustySpanner

jon1973 – Member
    Special branch may be interested.

They’ll get to the root of it, I’m sure.

wombat

There are millions of trees there and I’m sure the woodland wouldn’t be any worse off for 2 less fewer trees

FTFY 😉

And yes, it would be worse off

Kahurangi

Cut it out!

RustySpanner

Seriously.
    They’ll leaf no stone unturned.

jon1973
    Free Member

They’ll twig on if you do it too often, plus there’s bound to be a grass nearby.

RustySpanner

True, he’s bound to end up in lumber.

CountZero

I took home a rather sad looking silver birch from alongside a local footpath, it was growing from a slope with the taproot sticking out sideways and the sapling in danger of just falling over and breaking off.
    The tree is now about twenty foot tall, having had some of the top trimmed out, with a trunk about a foot across.
    There are loads of ash around, they self-seed like weeds, so one or two of those, or last year’s rowan seedlings potted until they get a bit bigger should be ok.
    Carefully cutting a new soft growth twig and getting it to root would be worthwhile, I’ve got a hawthorn cutting in a glass of water waiting to be potted to see if I can get it to grow, to fill up a space formerly occupied by a really scraggy elder.
    Hopefully, if it takes it’ll fill the space nicely, it won’t spread suckers like blackthorn, it’ll make a nice early display of blossom and berries for the birds in the winter, plus extra cover for birds to possibly nest in.

ski
    Free Member

My neighbour a few years ago had his front lawn re-turfed and yes, someone in the middle of the night nicked three random rows from the middle of his lawn?

We have lost complete plant pots, someone local we think has sticky, not green fingers 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The copse will log it as a crime and whittle down the suspects until you’re in the dock

RustySpanner

They won’t rest on their laurels, that’s for sure.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Speak to the rangers in your local country park. The guy I know is trying to encourage a more diverse spread of trees in his woodland. We pulled and dug up about fifty Beech saplings that had self seeded. Be sure to wrap them immediately in a polythene bag

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Somebody will grass you up

welshfarmer

Where are you Jekkyl

I have thousands. You are welcome to a couple if it will stop you having to potentially do time at Her Magestys’ Pleasure

Mr_C
    Free Member

Don’t listen to all this namby pamby ‘just take an unwanted sapling’ stuff. Get yourself one of these and get down the local arboretum. Life’s too short to watch trees grow.

funkmasterp

If you’re going to commit a crime go big or go home.

deadkenny
    Free Member

More seriously, careful with tree disease areas. Don’t go digging up something in an ash dieback area and plant it somewhere that doesn’t, for example. Same advice goes to bike riding in such areas and then not washing the bike then riding it somewhere else.

Leku
    Free Member

Bring back the birch for this type of thing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Nicking trees ??’ is closed to new replies.