Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Nicest XC race bike ever…?
  • flange
    Free Member

Not sure why but I think this is ace…

timc
    Free Member

I like the look of it, not sure why…

Not the nicest ever & I have no desire to ride it 🙂

flange
    Free Member

I like the fact that it just looks like a tool for a job. Nothing overtly flash (although it is) – just looks functional..

i’ve heard the bloke who rides it is quite handy too

xc-steve
    Free Member

Wonder why they didn’t rout the cables internally?!

njee20
    Free Member

Uncompromising certainly. The position Schurter rides is just mental! Let’s lean right forward to get down this steep drop!

xc-steve
    Free Member

Forgot to add looks ace, very subtle wouldn’t want to use it anywhere other than the race circuit though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wonder why they didn’t rout the cables internally?!

Easier to change/maintain, I would imagine.

rusty90
    Free Member

Schurter definitely likes his

xc-steve
    Free Member

Easier to change/maintain, I would imagine.

True. but when your the worlds number 1 your mechanics normally match your ability so would imagine internal routing wouldn’t be a problem for them? Would like to think there’s some deep scientific reason….

flange
    Free Member

That is Schurters – taken from his twitter feed this morning

rusty90
    Free Member

So he’s following the STW trend then, and gone 1×10. Or 1×11 even.

njee20
    Free Member

It appears to have internal routing except for the rear mech (well certainly does for the front mech), so I imagine there’s a very good reason they’ve not done it.

flange
    Free Member

XX1 isn’t it….I wonder if he’ll sneak a chain device on for racing…

Kryton57

rusty90
    Free Member

The speed he rides, the chain’s probably clinging on for dear life.

njee20
    Free Member

Didn’t at the Olympics – none of them did.

jezandu
    Free Member

The teeth they are using on the front chain ring are deeper so apparently there no need for a chain device.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, but some Enduro racers are fitting a guide anyway as a bit of insurance.

The-Beard

Don’t get me wrong, the Sclae is a lovely bike but I have a Cannondale fetish at the moment. Think the Flash 29ers just look spot on. Lefty forks – so wrong they’re right!

flange
    Free Member

It’s testament to his faith in the system that he’s not running one. An event that only comes round every 4 years, I’d want to be making sure nothing was left to chance….not that I’ll ever have that problem…

ac282

Just not sure about the seat post on those….

BTW the nicest XC bike has got to be the fastest.

njee20
    Free Member

BTW the nicest XC bike has got to be the fastest.

Aaah, but Nino’s has World Champ stripes on – he’s been consistently faster in the last few years.

The orange S-Works is gopping too!

The-Beard

The orange S-Works is gopping too!

Now the debates we had about that. Is it orange or is it meant to be red? It is bloody horrible though.

flange
    Free Member

I saw a vino rep s-works road bike in that Orange colour – has to be said I’m not a fan.

sputnik
    Free Member

flange
    Free Member

jesus H christ…

jezandu
    Free Member

Wish I could ride a bike as fast as Nino…….*sigh*

sssimon
    Free Member

this isn’t helping my current lust for a 1×10 carbon hardtail

have a spare bair of rebas so obviously in my head buying a grands work of bits to build around them and the other spare I have makes perfect sense

njee20
    Free Member

Now the debates we had about that. Is it orange or is it meant to be red? It is bloody horrible though.

It’s called “Neon Red”, but it’s orange IMO!

Weirdly I quite like the shoes in that colour though!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Wow pictures of a British summer, makes me wonder what the course would have been like wet!

That Look is pig ugly, that Scot in OP is lovely, and I spent at least 8 hours of last year’s race season seeing the back of one of those damn Specilaized’s, so that’s off the list as well.

Clearly a XC bike needs Dugast tubs, minimal handlebar furniture, and a negative rise stem.

flange
    Free Member

Clearly a XC bike needs Dugast tubs, minimal handlebar furniture, and a negative rise stem.

+100000. I’m off home tonight to flip my stem..

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed! In fact everything should be pared down a minimum! Flat bars do look better on race bikes too, negative stem and risers is silly.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Didn’t at the Olympics – none of them did.

in true STW fashion ill say it – they obviously were’nt riding hard/fast enough 😆

seriously expected that comment below but nobody has said it!

awesome xx1 the speed/anger those racers rode at, if the chains gonna come off, its gonna come off for them!

xx1 obviously just works, and that scott is lovely, love the tubs too!

rusty90
    Free Member

It’s called “Neon Red”, but it’s orange IMO!

Still an interesting colour though. Especially as part of a tasteful combination

pictonroad

Anyone ridden tubs off road, what’s it like?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Same bike again this year njee20, or going with bigger wheels?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wasn’t the main advantage of tubs generaly they were better made/for race only and therefore better? Didn’t quiote a few manufacturers (I’m thinking Vittoria anyway) then come out with ‘open’ tubs, which were basicly clinchers, built fomr the same materials as the equivelent tubs? And even ‘mainstream’ (Pro4, ultremo ZX) clinchers are close to tubs now?

Seem’s odd that roadies are going clincher and tubeless while MTB’ers have gone tub?

njee20
    Free Member

Same bike again this year njee20, or going with bigger wheels?

Same 🙁

Not doing anything like enough riding to justify a new one, and buying a house means I have no money! Otherwise it would be big wheels for sure – probably a Superfly SL or Superfly 100.

I’d be interested to try tubs off road, like TINAS I’m just not too sure – tubeless seems to bring all the advantages, with none of the disadvantages (and the reverse on the road – tubs rather than tubeless!). If someone did a light alu tub rim that wasn’t silly money I’d probably build a set up, seems a shame that most cheap rims are heavier than clinchers. I spoke to one of the Dutch riders at Dalby a couple of years ago, and he really rated his tubs, said he runs them about 18psi!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

A lot of it seems to be tradition, meaning the Euro’s ride tubs and a lot of new world riders have gone with tubeless.

Dugast tubs are nice, very soft and supple, more so than any tubeless I’ve tried. They can also be ridden flat, which is excellent for XC racing as it allows you to get back to the tech area and change.

jobro
    Free Member

Believe it or not I rode off road on tubs over 25 years ago. We were sponsored by Chickens (the cycle importer not the domestic fowl before anyone starts)at the time and they brought in some Conti tubs on the Gitane bikes we were issued with. If I remember they weighed about a kilo each, had no grip and felt like wooden hoops.Dugast tubs are lovely (based on a one “lets have a go of those” ride)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Nicest XC race bike ever…?’ is closed to new replies.