Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Nice watch for a few hundred pounds or less?
  • hora
    Free Member

Any Suunto is good. Even if you don’t use 80% of its functions. They look and feel nice.

I wear a Momentum currently. Its very very heavy though!

Kato

Seiko Monster

Chris Ward are getting expensive

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Another vote for Tissot. Got a PRC200 (cheap in the watch world) and its lovely. Nice big face, doesnt weigh ten tons and looks more expensive than it is.

toby1

MarkyG82 – I have 2 broken Nixon’s at home. One with a resin strap that broke 3 times, 1 with a rubberised strap that has ripped and also following a battery replacement (taken back to an authorised dealer) has since had traces of moisture behind the glass and steams up from time to time.

Personally I’ll never spend another penny on a Nixon watch.

I like the look of the vintage C8 on the ChristoperWard site, but that crown looks like it’ll catch a lot and it’s not as subtle as the crown on the Bell & Ross I am lusting after. I am trying to talk myself down from the Vintage BR123 which is a lovely looking watch.

CountZero

yours has a bigger crown and white date dial, a lot cheaper than Sinn though

Oh yeah, so it has! Hadn’t noticed that. Say hello to Mr Observant… 😳
    Yokobies Monster mods are very tasty; and very, very tempting, too.

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    Bloody hell. Now you’ve started me off looking at those yobokies watches.

Stop spending my bloody money you lot..!
    😆

unovolo
    Free Member

Get yourself a nice Precista PRS18Q from Time factors.
    A properly crafted watch which is leagues ahead of half of these “fashion”brands being mentioned.
    This is mine(ignore the dirty crystal,covered in handprints from changing the strap)

http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm

toby1

Well I’ve ordered a Suunto Core All Black. And shelved the dress watch idea for the time being as it’s a minefield!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1 for a Skagen

If I din’t have an omega Seamaster, I’d buy one.

trailmonkey

anything with sapphire crystal glass.

tissot for me.

chewkw
    Free Member

This one looks good …

xcstu
    Free Member

Highly rate my Nixon

Bit of a watch a holic and have quite a few G Shock too… IMO worth a look for the money too 🙂

Flaperon

Recommend you steer clear of Citizen – the crystal is made of transparent cheese and mine has picked up multiple deep scratches. My old Seiko was abused for three years before I lost it and never picked up even the smallest scratch.

DT78
    Free Member

I’d be looking at a Seiko Monster myself. Lovely in the flesh… or is that metal?

chewkw
    Free Member

DT78 – Member

I’d be looking at a Seiko Monster myself. Lovely in the flesh… or is that metal?

Seiko Monster is very nice so I might get one myself when I travel east next month.

Check out the variants here … ohhhhh!

Watch Geek on Seiko Monster

CountZero

That Precista Italian (Panerai) is wonderful! I have a serious ‘want it now’ situation developing. £385 isn’t a ridiculous price, either. Maybe a birthday pressy to myself…

martinh
    Free Member

I think this thread is going to cost me some dosh. Really like the look of the Christopher Wards

warton
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these:

And it’s a brute. heavy and incredibly sturdy. Had it for 4 years now, and it’s as good as new. Failing that check out Werners Flying Watches

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Typical, I like the Sinn range the best!

AndyPaice
    Free Member

if you like the look of Sinn, then have a look at the Seiko ‘Spork’. It’s pretty much a direct copy of a Sinn 757. A nice chunky watch, but one thing to watch with divers like this is that you can’t fit many shirt cuffs over it !

Some photos here http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/seiko-spork-power-reserve-incedible-511118.html

CountZero

Ooooo! That Seiko SPORK is beautiful, and has the sort of face I favour, absolutely clear military style with nice big markings.
    Stop it, you lot, I’m already mentally spending money I don’t have!

richmars

I still love my Seiko Titanium watch, but it’s a bit worn. Very light and green.

DT78
    Free Member

Well partially due to this thread reminding me I’ve just bought an Orange Seiko Monster for my upcoming beach holiday / replacement for my 14 year old G shock which finally has died (well it still works, the plastic casing has crumbled..)

Wife seems to be remarkably calm about it.

CountZero

AndyPaice, damn your eyes, sirra! Thanks to you, I’ve just gone and bought this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251099029630

deepreddave
    Free Member

Check our RLTwatches for some excellent value british made stuff. You can always ask for one of Roy’s to be customised a little to make it unique too.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Nice buy CountZero! Lots of nice ones above but the Chris Ward (IWC ish) and the Smiths look just right! Watches ate like bikes, you can only use one at a time but number required I’d alway n+ 1
    Now getting off this thread before I make a ‘Financial’ mistake.

coogan
    Free Member

Love my TW Steel TW4. It is chunky, but available in two sizes. £365 in the shops, but found one online for £285.

CountZero

Lionheart, I should have done exactly that a day ago! Now I’m £300-odd quid lighter.
    Still, I have got a killer looking watch, for a fraction of the price ‘premium’ models go for. Rolex? Per-lease!

richmars

Yes, CZ go away. Don’t post anymore links to ebay. I’ve already added two to my Christmas present (to myself) list.

woody2000

There are some Rotary watches on offer at Achica at the moment.

£105

£75

£150

etc

stealthcat

Christopher Ward watches look good, but if you buy one with a non-leather strap, be prepared to replace it every couple of years; Jon had one where the strap fell apart just after the warranty period ended, and the response was roughly “Oh yes, they do that. You need to buy a new strap every 2 years.” This isn’t mentioned anywhere on the website, and their straps aren’t cheap…

cozz
    Free Member

sorry, you saying the NON leather straps fail, you mean the metal ones ? or the rubber ones?

I like the metal strap ones on there and might be hinting towards my birthday in a few months, just wondered

CountZero

richmars – Member
    Yes, CZ go away. Don’t post anymore links to ebay. I’ve already added two to my Christmas present (to myself) list.

😆

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these:

The Seiko

Me too, weighs quite a bit but in a reassuring way. I wear a g-shock every day and this is my weekend watch. I love it, but then I like a heavy watch

ask1974
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these for ten years and still love it…

One of these for riding and general wear…

But this is my current favourite and good value to boot…

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“CountZero – Member

AndyPaice, damn your eyes, sirra! Thanks to you, I’ve just gone and bought this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251099029630

good buy 😀 you now need to worry about which strap typelooks best on it. you have bracelet, rubber, black leather or various nato/zulus to choose from 😉

You’ll enjoy it, they are lovely watches to wear

CountZero

Hi, Andy, thank you, and funny you should mention the straps! I tend to like NATO/Zulu, preferably the Maratec Zulu bands. I don’t mind bracelets, but I have smallish wrists, and bracelets are never the right size for me, depending on whether it’s hot or cold. I was looking at a black or dark blue leather one with contrast stitching, just to see how I get on with leather, but I might just stick with a Maratec Zulu. Dead easy to clean when they start to get a bit wiffy, too. 😀
    I don’t like rubber, I have a cheap B&R knock-off, and my wrist got very red and itchy, so I stopped wearing it

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Jon had one where the strap fell apart just after the warranty period ended

The watch itself is lovely (CW C7 Kingfisher)

However, 3 things to be aware of about CW:-

1) If you buy from them, you’ll get spammed mercilessly on both internet and by post

2) The watch you just bought will probably end up at 50% off in 6 months time, which kinda devalues the brand in my eyes.

3)The silicone rubber straps (as found on the divers watches etc) are to be avoided. They have a lifespan of about 2 years, before suddenly splitting and dumping the watch on the floor. Fortunately mine fell onto carpet. If I’d been working up a ladder, as I often dom it would have been trashed. Should I have been a diver (not unreasonable for the owner of a dive watch) when it snapped, it would have just gone. CW were utterly uninterested in supplying me with a new one without me kicking up one hell of a stink (got one grudgingly in the end). Sadly the way the strap and the watch fit together doesn’t give me too many other options that will look as neat.

CountZero

Just as a follow-up, I had a note from the postie yesterday to say there was a package at the sorting office that needed signing for, so I nipped along this afternoon, and it was the Seiko I bought the other evening. In its box, with the warranty, and it’s beautiful! Bloody heavy, compared to my other watches, but I’m chuffed to bits with it. Just had the bracelet shortened to fit my skinny matchstick wrist, and I think I’ll keep the bracelet, rather than put a NATO or Zulu on.
    Just as a back story, I bought it as an early birthday pressy to myself, using money that my mum left me after she died earlier this year, so it will act as a reminder to me whenever I wear it.
    Cheers, gents. 😀

toby1

CZ – a worthy use of the money by the sounds of it. Also nice to see a non-uber expensive brand like seiko getting so much love from the hard to please crowd on here. Enjoy it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Nice watch for a few hundred pounds or less?’ is closed to new replies.