Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • NHS Grampian: Wash your own nurse uniform at home.
  • bruneep

Wife(midwife) been told by NHS that she has to start washing her own uniform at home. min 60oC and then tumbled dried.

What numpty sat behind a desk thought of this? Lets see the infection rate soar at the hospital. Why should she have to bring home contaminated uniform home to wash in the family machine.

Well done NHS Grampian.

Stoner
    Free Member

* visions of some blood spattered A&E nurse on the No.65 Bus home *

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Physios need to do that too in a lot of places.

mt
    Free Member

Wash my work kit at home, I try not to me messy though.

rolymo
    Free Member

I'm not a nurse, but have my job often involves attending rtc scenes/grimness and being contaminated with bodily fluids. Ive never had the offer of my employer cleaning my uniform – if it is bad it just gets incenerated and new stuff issued. maybe it works out cheaper in my case – but can't see that applying in yours.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Lots of NHS staff do that in lots of places. There's also no quality evidence (that I'm aware of) to suggest this may increase infection rates in hospitals.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As sponging machine says. Round here theoretically you can get your uniform laundered but its such a pain that few bother

However she can make a claim against tax for the cost of doing so.

What happens if you don't have a tumble drier? I don't

rolymo
    Free Member

what sort of physio work leads to contamination? think ive seen it on the internet but wasn't sure the nhs would provide it. must ask next time i book an appt for my bad back.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

what sort of physio work leads to contamination?

The really good sort

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

rolymo – getting an elderly patient out of their chair and their catheter falls out and you get covered in piss, or they spew on you, or gravity takes over and shit falls out. bulk of physio patients are elderly.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

or chest physio for the ones with pneumonia

rolymo
    Free Member

oh crap…..

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

My physio wife once trod on a full catheter bag with hilarious consequences (for anyone not standing within 3m of her).

kimbers

my mums a maternity nurse and has had to do it for years

it can be a messy job

miketually
    Free Member

My mam's been an OT for the last 13 years or so and has always washed her own uniform. She claims the tax back, as TJ says.

IainAhh
    Free Member

That is not that uncommon …

My wife is a nurse and has worked in Glasgow, London, Dundee & Stirling.
    I think there might have been laundry at Ninewells (I can't remember) but all the others she washed her own uniform at home.

Costs a bit of cash I guess …

skiprat
    Free Member

My wife does it and has done for the last couple of years. Think she said the tax break was about £70 per year. They can't travel to and from work in their uniform so no chance of looking like your several months late for a halloween party!!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Whilst it was available when i worked in a uniform in our 2500-staffed local hospital, I don't think I ever heard of anyone outside of A&E/theatres (numerous sets of scrubs 'on tap' there, understandably!) taking them up on laundering our uniforms. Withn the turnover/reliability of the laundry I simply wasn't supplied with enough sets to have been able to turn up for work five shifts a week and get into clean uniform: I washed my three sets twice a week at home as did all my colleagues.

[edit] it does boil my pee when i see someone in a sister's uniform in sainsbury's at 3.45pm though. [edit]

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

JW – Why would seeing someone in a sisters uniform in sainsbury's at 3:45pm boil your pee? There are a number of exemptions to the not wearing your uniform outside of hospital/clinic rule i.e. those that work in the community are allowed to wear their uniform in the community.

gusamc
    Free Member

sterling

1- claim it as a legitimate employment expense on tax return (power, leccy, machine depreciation, single contaminated load etc etc etc)
    2 – contact local MP and ask for expense claiming advice (www.faxyourmp.com – I'm only partly taking piss – get them onside)

TJ – 'wholly, exclusively and necessarily (for work)' – so I would contact tax office, forward a copy of instructions from your employer indicating tumble dry and claim, I'd also make sarcastic remarks re MPs and w/n/e – see above

konabunny
    Free Member

They can't travel to and from work in their uniform

Why not?

julianwilson
    Free Member

George,
    1) early shift finishes at 3-3.30 round here.
    2) locally our infection control peeps prohibit us from wearing uniform in shops (food in particular) both because of the risk of infection from those of us who do work in 'yuck' places' and because the public are 'semi-informed' and will jump to the conclusion that we are spreading germs etc and be disillusioned about this.

So someone in a sister's uniform really might know better re: their own risk to the public doing shopping in uniform after work than the meddling nan who spots her, but unfortunately risks generating bad PR and silly letters to local paper. Should know better basically. We get a bad anough press round here as it is. As above, this is local infection control team's opinion too not just mine.

HTH

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I think there might have been laundry at Ninewells (I can't remember) but all the others she washed her own uniform at home.

There is and the machines are huge, but like TJ says, it's such a pain to use them that a good number don't bother.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

See, this is civil servant mentality.

I wash and clean all my working clothes. Everyone else does, even the staff at McDonalds. Indeed, most of us would like the financial burden of "free work clothes" gifted to us.

Someone asks a govt employee something reasonable, and they get all up in arms, in their keyworker house, on their queens birthday holiday, counting a jolly good pension, working in a virtually "unsackable" environment, and get all arsy about it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jujuuk

Not quite the same – there is an infection control issue here that does not exist for other people in the same way.

crikey
    Free Member

I've been a nurse for 20 odd years and I've always washed my own uniform, and never travelled to work and back in it.
    Have a word!

noteeth
    Free Member

See, this is civil servant mentality

Erm, nope – far more to do with infection control policies at some (not all) hospitals.

I wash my kit at home.

bruneep

So you think its acceptable to take home clothing contaminated with blood and other body fluids from patients who have HIV, hepatitis etc. and wash in the family machine?

swiss01
    Free Member

not really jujuuk. where i work not handing your uniforms over to the laundry is a disciplinary issue. that said you can always tell who washes their uniforms at home as they're the ones that actually look clean and (gasp) ironed. you'd think the management might notice this but, like so much else, it seems to evade them. plus getting folk to wash their uniforms at home would fly in the face of the infection control 'evidence' that hospital laundries wash uniforms better. i'll be interested to see how grampian handle that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

HIV and hepatitis won't survive being laundered

ratherbeintobago

So you think its acceptable to take home clothing contaminated with blood and other body fluids from patients who have HIV, hepatitis etc. and wash in the family machine?

From an infection control point of view, I cannot see how washing a uniform at home at 60°C is in any way as good as washing at high temperature in an industrial washing machine.

However, try getting a trust to admit this, as the moment they do, the uniform becomes Personal Protective Equipment & becomes subject to COSHH etc…

Andy

noteeth
    Free Member

So you think its acceptable…

Everybody should wear scrubs. IMO.

Provided there are decent laundry/shower facilities, of course… one can dream.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

My mother has been a Matron for and with NHS for over 40 years and has always washed her own gear. Not once have I seen her drive home in her work clothes, I don’t think you have much to worry about and If It saves money for the trust then even better.

bruneep

They've been told that they are only allowed to wear "greens" if they are in theatre, not on the labour ward. Of course it doesn't get messy in the ward 🙄

TomB

I work for the ambulance service, and we all wash our uniform at home, with a little tax break for doing so. I change at work, and agree with the 'boils my piss' comments above about clinical staff in uniform going round Tesco's.

crikey
    Free Member

Again, Jesus!
    Just take it home and wash it and stop with all the infection control hand wringing cobblers.

noteeth
    Free Member

If all the scrubs 'borrowed' for the sake of fancy dress parties and doing DIY were to be returned, we could re-clothe the entire NHS workforce. 😈

falkirk-mark

My mrs when she was training to be a nurse was told not to wear her uniform in due to infection control.But she had to get changed in the toilet when she got there WTF

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

At the risk of upsetting racing ralph, +1 with crikey.

samuri
    Free Member

I have to dry clean my work suits, it costs me a tenner a go. I suspect this is a lot more expensive than taking clothes home and sticking them in a 60 degree wash.

HTH.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘NHS Grampian: Wash your own nurse uniform at home.’ is closed to new replies.