Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • New towball rack – Thule (by default) or something else?
  • DickBarton

Thinking it is time to replace the 15-year old EuroClassic Pro rack…bikes are wider (and longer) and I’m needing to stop hitting the bikes together.

So, need to carry 3 bikes (on the back of a Berlingo with a tailgate), would like it to be as wide as possible so the longer wheelbase can be supported (currently bike sits on the rack edges so isn’t really strapped down).

Bikes have also changed shaped so the supports to attach the bikes needs to be able to be supported without the arms/supports rubbing the paintwork of the other bikes.

Also would be nice to get in to the boot with the rack on…the EuroClassic has too much in the way so even tilted it won’t open, so something that moves the rack far enough out so the tailgate opens.

So what should I be looking at?

Thanks.

northernremedy

Thule velocompact 927 here. Excellent. 3 bikes no problem ( XL Jeffsy 29, XL HB160 and L jeffsy 27.5). Rocks back to get in to the boot also.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Atera are an alternative too look at.

DickBarton

The Atera does look good but is the gap between bikes wide enough for boost bikes? Design doesn’t appear to have changed for over 10 years…it looks like it will also work with the tailgate so a definite interest…just the width is a concern.

weeksy

From when i was checking the Thule had the largest gaps between bikes, but we had problems routing the arms through the frames for fitting 3 bikes, along with the tensioner, which REALLY scared me !!!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Atera do a E-bike version for three, which tilts rather than slides which unfortunately might not give you enough clearance.

Buzzrack Eazzy 3 might be worth a look too?

5lab

Some (all?) Of the thules dont fold down out of the way enough for a van tailgate to open without hitting bars. I dont know if a berlingo has a small enough tailgate to avoid this, but it’s a reason lots of folks buy altera

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seasucker/rock bros? Or are you set on a towball rack?.

martymac

I have a 2 bike buzzrack (the scorpion)
    It’s excellent, and rated for 2 ebikes.
    I haven’t looked at the 3 bike version, but would recommend checking it out at least.

DickBarton

Got roof racks but with bikes on that the height means when some farts on the other side of the road, the car moves.

Towbar is the way forward I reckon.

I’ll check the racks out but was asking in case there was a very clear obvious choice…sounds like there isn’t just 1 but a few.

antigee

not sure what if any towbar racks Yackima do but recently bought a roof one and was impressed that it came all assembled and seems so far great – would put them high on my list when my Thule tow bar dies – could be a while though

Fat-boy-fat

Meant to say that the Yakima I linked is a tow ball rack. It’ll be my next rack once my Atera Strada gives up the ghost.

DickBarton

Oops, hadn’t spotted that either…off to nosey now.

devbrix
    Free Member

Have had a Whispbar/Yakima x3 bike rack For last three years. It’s expensive but brilliantly designed, very high quality build and the right size for long 29ers etc. Fantastically quick and easy to mount and tilts right out the way. Folds easily so can pop it off and into the boot. Highly recommended here.

kynasf
    Free Member

I changed to a Thule easyfold XT a couple of years ago as I was fed up lugging the old rack back and forth from the garage when I needed it. This one just folds up and goes in the boot when not needed. It also has huge clearance between the bikes, will take up to a 3″ tyre I believe. Also allows easy access to the boot when bikes are loaded. Expensive, but I think it’s brilliant.

DickBarton

Yakima won’t allow the tailgate to open but the Atera Genio Pro 2 bike with optional 3rd bike carrier looks good…also not cheap, but does appear to be built to last. It also places the 3rd bike higher than the others so getting it clamped will be easier.

Easyfold looks good but bikes are all on the same level so the 3rd bike is always going to be a Tetris-like challenge to make things fit – about the same price as the Atera, so I think I’ll do some more checking on that (it is also 4Kg-ish lighter than the XT, which will help with carrying it but also for nose weight – not a massive issue with 2 13Kg bike and a 10kg bike really).

DickBarton

Still having issues with this rack choice! I don’t have enough cash for the £500+ solutions, so what else is available that has the bikes at least 20cm apart? To carry 3 bikes…thanks.

honourablegeorge

This any use? Would need an adapter for 3 bikes, I think, but it’s a great deal

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/thule-euroride-2-bike-rack-328231

DickBarton

Not a big enough distance between the trays…only 17cm. My EuroClassic Pro is 18cm and that is too close…

mashr

Did you look at the widely spaced Buzzrack?

DickBarton

I did, but can’t find many reviews…they are wider spaced though…

oikeith

@dickbarton I have the Thule 9503 which isn’t spaced for Boost at all, I have done three modern bikes on it a few times. To stop the rubbing, I picked up some pipe insulation and cut it into small pieces and placed these between the forks and rear triangle of each bike and didnt have any issues.The bikes were top and tailed too with droppers down, but no issues.

iainc

Yakima does allow tailgate to open :

very well designed and built rack IMO

DickBarton

Yakima looks very good but is over £500, which I don’t have. So I went for a Buzz Rack Spark 3…seems to have a large gap between the bikes (not as much as the Eassy 3 but the bikes don’t lock to the arms on that).

keppoch

They look a bit agricultural but the pendle ones look decent and adjustable to me and can be had at good prices on Ebay.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘New towball rack – Thule (by default) or something else?’ is closed to new replies.