Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • New Steel Road Bike
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m sure you would be happy with either but when I look at the Donhou it’s available in only 3 sizes? It may fit you but not me. I want a 565 ETT and a 130stem and depending on headset type 155-165 head tube, if I’m paying that much for a frame I want it to be my size and no compromises, and not loads of spacers! (i Ike how my bikes handle with a decent length stem and I use a short reach bar so tops/hoods/drops are relatively close together and I use all hand positions)

personally I would rather have something that fitted like like a glove than something that I would have to make fit because of huge gaps in sizes. My Pegoretti is a stock 56 but I’m on a -20° stem and would rather have a shorter (custom) head tube and a 10° stem.

i stupidly forgot to get it shortened when I sent it back for a repaint

ctk
    Free Member

None of these are disc and I’m not sure how much postage would be but Y180000 works out as £1200 and for a Cherubim that is cheap!

http://www.cherubim.jp/store/

MrSmith
    Free Member

Oh and they used to build frames for the likes of Indurain although, of course, their bikes were rebranded to keep the sponsors happy.

I’m sure Dario would have a different opinion on the word “they”!

The other brand not mentioned is Zullo, there is also Cicli Barco who build for a lot of other named brands.

i still think a carbon Sarto should be considered 🙂

verticalclimber
    Free Member

Reilly cycles , have 2 custom geo one in life and on 853. Both really nice. Stainless for next one

four
    Free Member

Just been looking at the Mason Rosolution – appears good value and pretty progressive?

Yes I get where you’re coming from with the Donhou and price for off the peg. I’m planing on a trip over to Comtat soon to see the Casati.

Tricky business this bike buying eh. I’ve managed in the past to buy the wrong bike for me a few times now! I’m trying not to do it again, hence the OCD research and questions.

qwerty
    Free Member

Start feeding your obsession by having a play on https://www.bikecad.ca you can see the knock on effects of geometry changes & feed your results onto your builder. Don’t rush into anything.

hardtailonly

If you’re anywhere near Leeds, Woodrups is worth a look. Long tradition of custom frame building, some lovely looking bikes. Mate has just got one and loves it.

martymac

At the end of the day, you’re going to ride it, (hopefully for a looong time) it has to be the one you’re happy with.

if i was spending 2.5k on a frameset, id be wanting to use a builder who has decades of experience, and has built hundreds, if not thousands of them.

Someone who has only built a few dozen frames and can do custom if you want it? Nah, i think I’d swerve that.

I’m not pointing at any particular company here, it’s just my opinion, but there are some companies who seem to charge the earth for what really amounts to a stock frameset with a nice paint job.

martymac

“Don’t rush into anything “

absolutely this^^

paton
    Free Member

kilo

Good call on Woodrup, lovely looking frames there. If I were going custom again (Roberts Columbus sl road bikes for Mrs kilo and i) I’d go Rourkre or Woodrup, established pedigree and relatively rare. Also having had a protracted process with Mrs kilos second Roberts easy to keep in touch with the actual frame builders.

Digger90
    Free Member

I saw this GCN video last year and thought “That is everything I want in a bike, except with narrower clearances (as mine is a summer/road only bike) and equipped for eTap”. 

Tom Sturdy knows what he’s doing and is/was a pleasure to deal with. He’s the chief instructor at the Bicycle Academy, has made a lot of bikes, is an ex pro Triathlete, and with degrees in aeronautical engineering and sports biomechanics he likely knows a thing or two about making stuff plus the way the human body works.

Mine is arriving in a couple of weeks time…  CAN’T WAIT!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4wAeTk4wAU&t=190s

catdras
    Free Member

If you’re after off the shelf then Genesis do the Volare disc and Bowman to the Layams disc. Both UK brands.

four
    Free Member

Thanks very much for all the input on this.

I th8nk that as long as I go to an established builder / supplier then I’ll be happy with what I get. Comtat and Donhou tick the right boxes so for me I think it will be one of those bikes.

dickie
    Free Member

I’m considering selling my 56cm Mason Resolution if your interested. £2250. Email in profile for spec

paton
    Free Member

mugsys_m8

Victoire in France. Or Julie Racing Design if you can’t stomach the 2 year waiting list at Victoire….(although they are now doing more of a ‘series’ type line of frames so the waiting list on those is probably less.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘New Steel Road Bike’ is closed to new replies.