Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New rim – existing spokes too short
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Just picked up a pair of new rims and the ERD is a bit bigger than the existing ones on the hubs I want to use for the rebuild – approx 6mm I’d say, but I’ve not measured properly yet.

The existing build uses 12mm nipples so can I just use 14 or 16mm ones instead to make up the difference? Or should I just avoid corner cutting and order new spokes? Lacing the new rim up on the existing spokes would be nice and quick in comparison….

ajantom

Nothing to be lost by taping the rims together and swapping over the spokes. You’ll know very quickly if they’re not going to work.

I know some people advise never to reuse spokes, but I’ve got wheels that have had rims swapped and are still taking abuse.
    One of them the spokes were too short, so there’s even a couple of threads showing – I’m not dead yet 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Manually check the erd of both rims once the wheel is stripped down. Would out exactly how much you’re short by, divide by two and add to the nipple length.

Don’t forget to check existing and new nipples to see how far down the threads run. Some longer nipples don’t thread to the ends which might not help your situation at all.

Also, what are the spokes and how well used are they? Newish cx-ray, try to keep them, battered pg spokes? Might as well replace.

The other option is to try to track down the original rim.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Good point about the longer nipples and threads – cheers. I’d hoped not to strip the wheels down and instead tape the new rims on re lace them as ajantom said. Erring toward doing this with 14mm nipples as the manufacturer (Mavic) recommends this length.

The spokes are sapim race, pretty decent, and haven’t had massive abuse.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its not just about the spokes being long enough.

First i’m pretty sure that atleast some spokes aren’t threaded all the way up/down the you might find a 14mm spoke has the same length of thread as a 12mm.

Secindly the spoke is supposed to come through the rim where it is supported by the head of the nipple. Its not designed to be under tension and will probably snap if the spoke doesn’t reach.

I think.

twowheels
    Free Member

To second ajantom- I rebuilt a wheel (with new hub) using the same spokes to cut costs. That wheel is fine and still running true after much abuse.

However, my view now I’m earning more is that new spokes are cheap relative to my time building the wheel, especially over the expected life of the wheel. Next time I’ll probably use new spokes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New rim – existing spokes too short’ is closed to new replies.