Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New rear wheel required…
  • dawson

but my my google skills are weak this evening.

It was a Mavic x138 rim on an acera x hub, but it tightened up on itself to the point that it went past seized and stripped the threads on the axle causing a slightly wobbly descent of Cutgate yesterday.

The rim is heavily worn, and its not worth trying to dismantle the hub, as I think I will have killed it by carrying on riding it in its fubar’d state.

7 speed 26″ wheel for rim brakes – I’ve tried wiggle and CRC and i’m not having much luck, any ideas?

Stoner
    Free Member

7 speed

Much as I applaud your technological stoicism, you ever thought now would be a great time to move into the 20th century? 😉

However, if you insist:
    you could get a new wheel built around one of these at SJS

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/suntour-gpx-7-speed-126-mm-oln-rear-hub-model-gp00-6fh-without-skewer-36-hole-prod4524/

STATO
    Free Member

Any modern Shimano hub can be used with a 7spd cassette, you just need a spacer behind the cassette. Broadens your choices a lot.

dawson

Re: 7 speed – thats whats on it at the moment, and it would mean getting a new cassette, shifter and mech! 😯 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

STATO spks sense. I on the other hand dont, as I realise the hub I linked to is a road one, doh.

dawson

@ Stato – thanks – i’ll go and search for 8 speed wheels and said spacer – ta.

Does the spacer go in between the cassette and the spokes?

andrewh
    Free Member

Any 8/9 speed hub and a spacer should be fine for 7 speed.
    Would go down this route as less costly when your cassette/shifter/other bits and pieces wear out and you want to go for 9 speed.

[EDIT] Like what Stato said. Spacer behind cassette (ie, inboard)

dawson
    jonba
    Free Member

Those Merlin wheels are good for the money. Got some on my commuting bike.

The spacer looks like what you want. Kits are often sold for singlspeeders http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopsingle.html which may be cheaper if you can find something. THe other option is an old cassette it used to be possible to dismantle them and remove the sprocket spacers. If you have an old cassette have a look.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New rear wheel required…’ is closed to new replies.