Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New / Old SS build – much Green content.
  • Kryton57

Spent this morning building this as a dedicated singlespeed:

Kinesis1

Kinesis2

The pictures don’t do it justice TBH, its gorgeous in the flesh.

If you think you’ve seen it before, you probably have. This is wwaswas frame which I purchased from him during the week. All bits are OEM from my old Genesis as circumstances don’t allow upgrades yet, but it still rides nice (in the garden test) so will have to do until I can do the frame some justice.

Many thanks to wwaswas who has been a real pleasure to deal with and chat to during the purchase process – I thoroughly recommend him as a seller.

Now, let the garden flaming begin…… 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

looks great kryton……………

lets add more green to this thread :

IMAG0089 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr

rOcKeTdOg

how does it fair on the trampoline?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Stem needs slamming, but other than that it looks like its standing still. Which is odd, really odd. 😆

wwaswas

*blushes*

Looks really good 🙂

Kryton57

Stem needs slamming, but other than that it looks like its standing still. Which is odd, really odd.

lost on me…. ?

wwaswas

Get a chance to ride it yet?

Kryton57

Not yet. Between making an appearance at church (christening pending so got to show my face) and the Rugby there was no time yesterday. Im supposed to be doing road intervals tomorrow. The local trails are a swamp but I may go out for a splash on this instead due to the weather/road conditions.

Do you know, I was amazed how much rust was inside my Genesis, yet none in the Kinesis. Are they treated?

wwaswas

Not sure, tbh. I did give it a thorough spraying in all the tubes with Dinitrol when I got it, though.

Kryton57

It seems to have worked. The longest part of the build was cleaning bits (ie the BB threads) coming off the old bike.

*looks outside*

Might have to stick some Bonty Muds on before I go…..

donks
    Free Member

“pines for stolen kinesis”

Kryton57

Ah shame donks. 🙁

Just realised there’s chain tug faff involved in changing a tire….. 8)

wwaswas

Just realised there’s chain tug faff involved in changing a tire…..

no there isn’t…

just remove the QR. the chain tug comes off still ‘set’ for the right chain length and you should then be able to slide wheel forward to release the chain.

just reverse when refitting – once you have the chaintug back on the wheel in the right place and then you just need to make sure it’s centred so the disk desn’t rub.

Kryton57

You’re right, I didn’t think that through 😳

Right I’ve a choice of Trailraker’s or Bonty Mud X’s – which tire for…. (I’m kidding). 😀

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Here’s mine:

I run mine at 32:16, (probably drop to 32:17 for some steeper trail centre hill bursts), and with Pace RC40’s (so they have the launch control feature), 750mm wide bars and spuds. Weighs in at 25lb dead, Mud X on the back and a nice big phat 2.4 Advantage on the front for winter.

Did over 450 miles on it last year and love it to bits, only thing that might replace it is a steel 29er SS in green……..

Kryton57

gibbonarms – any SS specific reason you didn’t put a mud tyre on the front?

I normally would for my locale and in fact the defactor std here is Trailraker front Bonty rear (faster rolling), and I appreciate having the grippier tyre on the rear for SS is appropriate but in case I’m missing something as I’m relatively new to SS.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Looks nice, K57. Still regret selling my S/S.

rascal
    Free Member

Mine’s not as nice as Kryton’s – old skool Stumpy frame running 32:16.. and it’s looking for a new home.
    http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae76/rascal011/IMG_5723.jpg

ajantom

Green is good – especially with red. This now has a red SDG saddle too.

Dialled Alpine by silly-boy, on Flickr

Kryton57

Well there we go. The inaugural ride done!

kinesis

@wwaswas – very nice much more “alive” than my Genesis, I can feel it’d be pretty playful in attitude perhaps on dry singletrack, but it feels pretty comfy as well. Note sure whether thats the frame, slightly slacker HA or slightly shorter TT (we are talk half a degree / inch here though, not much) Very pleased!

gibbonarms
    Free Member

No, none at all really as I never run a mud specific tyre on the front just something with big volume in winter then a nobby nick through the summer.

A fast rolling tyre doesn’t really come into it for me as its single speeding, its meant to be hard work! But that’s just my masochistic take on the matter.

wwaswas

Glad you like it. 🙂 I felt the same going to it from an Inbred.

Wish I hadn’t sold it now 🙁

doom_mountain

Looks great Kryton
    I’ve just bought one of these frames as well (thanks Stuey), these pictures are making me really excited about building it up!

I’ll need to wait until next payday to complete the puzzle… although I did buy some green grips in the CRC sale 😳

Kryton57

Lol at wwaswas. I always feel like that about my other two. Just when you get a bit apathetic with them it really helps for someone to pop along and remind you how great they are. The trick is not to sell them between times. 😉

Gibbonarms. The reason I asked is that I’ve spent the last two years avoiding the de facto Epping Forest mud tyre – the Trailraker. It’s on the front now and today it’s highlighted a big difference in control – hardly any wrestling with the bars at all. And you’re right – who cares about the drag its all about the pain!

Doom_mountain – I think your going to like it. It’s well balanced too.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New / Old SS build – much Green content.’ is closed to new replies.