Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New long distance xc bike
  • 100psi
    Free Member

Looking for a light xc hardtail to fill the gap between my TCX and Scandal
    It’s main use will be the HoNC, byways and bridleways of Shropshire and the trans Snowdonia route type rides
    Should I go Trek Procaliber or Specialized Chisel is my thinking
    What’s the biggest chainring I can fit on each bike 36, 38 or poss 40t? Is the chisel as comfortable as all the hype? Does the de coupler on the lighter Procaliber make a great difference ? Any experience you have would be welcome.

Kuco

Specialized Chisel is 36 tooth. And yes the Chisel is comfy not as comfy as the alloy Procaliber it replaced but not far off.

Just out of interest what size are you looking at?

100psi
    Free Member

I am looking for a large 😁

Kuco

Shame, mines a small.

chestrockwell

My mate likes his Procaliber and reckons the link thing makes a real difference.

curto80
    Free Member

Alma, Scale or 2 stroke?

Kryton57

A lightweight second hand good condition short travel FS?

bigrich

Cutthroat

tomvet

I was looking for a bike for the same type of riding as you describe, ended up getting a good deal on the base Santa Cruz highball model.

Has external threaded  BB, can fit a 38 tooth chain ring, 3 x bottle mounts and no rider worthy limit on the frame.

Have entered the Wales duro and HONC and doing lots of Cotswold bridleways and byways.

The chisels look really nice and I nearly bought one of them instead.

100psi
    Free Member

Thanks for the input, looks like a Chisel is on my shopping list

stayhigh

Meet Nancy (Procaliber 9.6) which I’ve set up for bashing about in the woods, long distance xc mile munching, and all that good fun hardtail stuff that makes me grin from ear to ear.  Effortless to ride, carrying speed and momentum on twisty single track and perhaps unsurprisingly zipping up the climbs.  Built with a SID Ultimate 120 with RD3 damper that is responsive and supple providing a really well connected feel to the trail.  The Magic Coupler Thingy (trademark pending lol) is harder to define exactly what it does; perhaps the best I can describe is feeling like it just rounds the edges off and limits the harshness associated with hardtails.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve a Scandal like the OP and use it for bikepacking and general XC riding, why are you looking at another HT rather than a short-travel FS?

#curious

alpin
    Free Member

reckons the link thing makes a real difference.

Until it wears and you can’t replace it rendering the frame defunct.

Kuco

But the Isospeed is replaceable if it wears, a Trek dealer should get the parts. The only issue I ever had with it on my Procaliber is the bolt came loose once causing it to creak.

intheborders
    Free Member

But the Isospeed is replaceable if it wears, a Trek dealer should get the parts.

A bit like my Cube FS linkage sub-frame that ‘dissolved’ –  no dealer had the parts and Cube Germany couldn’t/wouldn’t give me a spec so I could get one fabricated locally.

bigrich

Trek are a bit unreliable with warranty, and all that complexity from isospeed is unnecessary.

stayhigh

Trek are a bit unreliable with warranty,

Not in my experience.  When my 5 year old frame cracked just underneath the seat clamp, Trek replaced the frame no questions asked.  Admittedly this was in 2013 but it was a pretty painless process.

100psi
    Free Member

The scandal is set up for big days out with chunky tyres and strong wheels. Last year it went up Helvellyn and similar and gets used around Cannock and Church Stretton. The new lightweight hardtail will be set up with light wheels with fast rolling tyres as a mile muncher. Don’t really want suspension as that’s just one more part to service! I could use the Scandal but just want the simplicity of choosing a bike for the intended terrain. I might even use it to commute the 20 miles to work and back then it would pay for it’s self 😂

anagallis_arvensis

Whippet

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Recently got a deal on the Specialized epic ht and much to my surprise find it more comfy than my epic evo fs. We’re all different but there’s some bargains on them around.

Done 800 miles on mine in 5 weeks and v happy. Currently running 36t oval.

James

crazy-legs

Is the chisel as comfortable as all the hype?

Mine is great (although I’ve got nothing else recent to compare it to). Not sure what the biggest chainring it’ll take is cos I’ve had no cause to change mine, it’s set up perfectly.

The only changes I’ve made to mine since purchase are:
    set up the tyres tubeless and with run-flat inserts (Vittoria AirLiner)
    fit a dropper post (Brand-X bought S/H from someone on here but perfect condition)
    just fitted carbon bars – only because I bought them ridiculously cheap in the dying days of CRC!

Worth keeping an eye out for the Epic HT as well, Specialized had Epics on hefty discount recently. I got my Chisel in the days when they were nearly 50% off, not sure there’s any left at that price though.

Edit – ooh they do, in limited sizes
    https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/shop/bikes/mountain/model/chisel/

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM