Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • New-ish Honda Civic – any reason why I shouldn't?
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

Can’t afford a Golf and don’t like the looks of the Focus, I quite fancy me a Civic or a Jetta. I drive like postman pat anyway (so I’m told!) so I’m not looking for huge performance…

molgrips
    Free Member

Civics are ace. The diesel is brilliant, and the petrol is equally powerful but less economical of course.

Jettas are the sensible option I reckon. They are way cheaper than Golfs because everyone wants Golfs, and basically the same apart from the boot.

Don’t forget to look at Passats though. I’d decided on a Jetta but it’d gone, and I found a great Passat that was cheap – no-one wants a grey rep’s car, but it’s a great motor and I love it. Don’t care if it’s a rep’s car 🙂

ruddy
    Free Member

Boough my wife one earlier in the year and very please with it.

Loads of space, well thought through. Rear seats lift up and a flat well enables bikes to go in or other bulky items. Boot is huge (with extra space below).

Would recommend rear reversing alarm as the rear view is not the greatest (only minor flaw).

beanum

I’d avoid the auto gearbox if you can. We had one, it rolled backwards on hillstarts and was borderline dangerous on overtakes…

The dashboard was super funky though, other cars seem boring in comparison..:-)

molgrips
    Free Member

Honda autos are famed for being crap. Avoid.

The diesel is the one you want. Lovely. And very un-diesely.

timc
    Free Member

Drove my mum’s 57plate 2.2 diesel all over the country when I had a 6 month period without a car.

Great car, decent handling & ride, great diesel engine, funky styling!

Cabin noise is a lil loud & rear view is limited

All in all, very good car, Average joe (me) would recommend!

Although having looked at Jetta’s when i got a new car, some amazing deals to be had!

simon_g

The old i-shift is rubbish, but they did start offering a conventional auto from last year.

I’ve had mine 18 months or so now and it’s great. The boot is enormous and wide, the seats fold flat (actually flat too) in one movement, or flip up cinema-seat-style for carrying tall things. More practical than all but the large estates – it’s my car (not the 3-series touring, or A4 avant) that inevitably gets used for diving trips as it’s the only one that can fit 3 people and all their kit and keep it all under the window line.

As said, worth getting parking sensors as the rear visibility is a bit poor. You do get decent wing mirrors though, so just drive it like a van.

The EX is very good if you want all the things that are usually optional extras elsewhere – satnav, bluetooth, dual zone climate, auto lights/wipers, etc.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Thanks all – I’d been looking at the Sport versions of both the Civic and the Jetta, not because they’re any quicker but because I like how they look!

I’d be wanting a manual anyway, and am struggling to justify the additional expense of the diesel, even though it does look like the better engine in each. Plus the diesels look like they’ll cost an extra couple of hundred to insure each year…

Will see if I can arrange some test drives :o)

molgrips
    Free Member

I tried a Jetta with sports suspension, it was absolutely rock hard and very unpleasant. And still not very low or sporty. The Civic with the stock springs was a lot nicer and sportier.

I was definitely going to buy one after having driven Jettas, Focuses and Civics, but the dealer ones were all £13k and I baulked. Went back to the VW dealer cos they had a Jetta for £9.5k and it’d gone, hence the Passat.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

If I may launch a semi- hijack of this thread…

Is the current Type-R really as bad as some people say or is it a worthy contender for those seeking a hot (or at the very least quite warm) hatch that you can actually shove bikes/surfboards/gear for a week away in?

simon_g

Depends what you’re after really. You’ll know within 5 minutes of a test drive whether you can live with the ride or not – some people really don’t get on with it but if you come from older hot hatches you’ll probably find it fine. Engine is as per the last one and great if you like revs. And just as practical as the regular 5-door – the seats will even flip up, but they won’t lock up, you have to use the seatbelt to keep it there.

They are superb value though for what they are – the lukewarm reviews at launch plus a load of cheap lease deals have left lots of 2-3 year old cars under £10k.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I hired one once – I quite liked it. Heard reports of self destructing clutches in the diesels so buy carefully.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh apparently there are two different wheel options available, I think…? The larger wheels and lower pro tyres are to be avoided apparently for the normal driver as it makes the ride quite harsh.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Having sold them from new and my Mrs drives a 58 plate one as we speak, they offer bloody good value for money now. 2.2 is the way to go, make sure it has a full history, as they do like a drop of oil in their early days. As people have said stay away from the Petrol i-Shi*t version.
    Best of the bunch is the ES spec as it has the most spec without having the Sat-Nag, don’t worry about the 17″ wheels, the ride is a little harsh, if it has 17″ on it make sure they are the grey Penta wheels as the others have a polished face and are prone to corrosion. If you are going for the Sport, the standard 17″ wheels are fine and dont really corrode unless they have been kerbed.

Any other specific questions, fire away!!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My NDN says the ride on his current Type-R is quite harsh, but it has loads of zip and grip. He also warns about weak paint, but he’s a fastidious cleaner and polisher.

My older Type-S is firm and OK, but not plush like my other neighbours regular Accord. We’re a Honda street!

The only thing that really puts me off the current Civics is the shape of the gate because you cannot lean a rear cycle carrier on it and more importantly the rear visibility is awful. For that reason alone I will probably not get one which is a shame because it ticks all my other boxes.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have a 2.2 diesel.

Good stuff:
    – looks ace
    – fun to drive
    – GREAT dashboard
    – very practical load space

Not so good stuff
    – poor rear visibility for a “small” car
    – (in my diesel at least) the turbo “sweet spot” is not always where you expect it to be
    – Very poor quality paint – chips very easily

But I love it 😀

anjs
    Free Member

Just to give another view. I have one of the early 2.2 Ex’s. So far it has needed:-

New ECU
    Rear struts *2
    Seal round the front wind screan has been replace twice
    Creaking windscrean
    Fuel hatch would not open
    Problem with handbrake which would not stay on
    Battery would go flat in 12 hours
    RDS did not work on the Radio

Most of it was covered under warrenty and do not know if it was because it was one of the first ones.

jwr

I really like my 2.2 CDTI – it’s a smashing little car. As mentioned above, watch out for dodgy clutches on the big diesel. The test is to get it into 4th or 5th gear and give it a boot full. Watch out for the clutch slipping as it climbs through the lower end of the rev range.

-j

druidh
    Free Member

Handles well, diesel is nice, loads of room in the back (just looooaaads).

But easily the least reliable car I’ve ever owned (and I’ve owned 4 Renaults and a Citroen). Electrics mainly, although fuel injection was a bit iffy too, fuel flap wouldn’t open, creaky windscreen and various build quality issues. Make sure you get a late one – they seemed to have ironed out most of the early-build bugs by year 3.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’d get the Jazz instead of the Civic. It’s like a Tardis.

takisawa2

We have a couple as pool cars at work. After having the diesel one for a few days I’d have one. Ride was a bit harsh. but held the road nice.

JCL
    Free Member

Second the Jazz. Very clever design.

hora
    Free Member

+3 the Jazz. Love it.

Just wish they’d call it something else!!! Like the Honda Dominator or Honda Excalibur. Jazz is just wrong 🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

we,ve always had Honda !!! they never break down 😉 :mrgreen:

M6TTF
    Free Member

I’d get the Jazz instead of the Civic. It’s like a reTardis.

think that’s what you meant 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

😆 to the above statement !

tron
    Free Member

If you can’t afford a Golf, VAG make a load of Golf based stuff that’s cheaper…

I had a Type-R from 2007 to June this year. Great car, well built and reliable. Never missed a beat. Very practical as well – could swallow 3 bikes and kit with the rear seats down.

Only reason I got rid was because I was doing a lot of miles and having to fill up 2 or 3 times per week. A normal Civic shouldn’t have that problem though.

I would definitely have another Honda.

the_lecht_rocks

i’m onto my second new shape type r.

3 bikes and a weeks kit as well as spares in the back and me and mrs t_l_r in the front.

excellent warranty and dealer back up sealed my purchase.

yes – the type r rde is HARSH but it’s pointy and super fun too 🙂

great cars !

Gachet
    Free Member

As you’re interested in a Jetta, have you considered the Skoda Octavia? I recent bought a 2007 Octavia VRS and it’s a fantastic car for the money; enormous boot and as it’s a hatch back it’s more practical than the Jetta. Even with 18″ wheels and sports suspension the ride is very compliant and it cost me about £6000 less than the comparitive Golf GTI and is basically the same car underneath. The response and performance of the petrol variant is great and it can still deliver mid to high 30’s to the gallon on a run it driven sensibly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bear in mind the seats do flip down in the Jetta. You may find the exterior and interior somewhat gopping on the Octy, I know I do 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I forgot to add, I did need a new clutch on my 2.2 diesel. Hit 2000 revs and *vroooee* round goes the rev counter as the power fails to get anywhere. 😕

Spongebob
    Free Member

M6TTF – Member

I’d get the Jazz instead of the Civic. It’s like a reTardis.

We aren’t talking Audi money here and this recommendation sounds entirely appropriate for the brief, but if you had actually driven the current Jazz, I know you wouldn’t be mocking.

Remember, it’s only a compact practical car, not an extension of your manhood! 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh and no diesel in the Jazz, unfortunately. They seem to be not bothering to pitch a version at the small car long distance market which is a shame, since it’s so capable a car it could easily replace a larger one.

letmetalktomark

We bought a 2007 plate Civic CTDi from our local Honda dealer recently. Plumped for an EX spec and sub 20k miles.

Managed to get a really good cash price on the car, three year warranty etc.

The car was immaculately prepared and to all intense and purpose was as good as new.

In terms of how happy we have been I can say its been grand. 😆

We test drove a number of cars of a similar class and the Honda, whilst not the best handling, was the favorite.

Sure you pay a small premium over a similar equipped Focus but we found the Civics to be better priced that their VW equivalents.

After about 3K we are well happy. Mid 50’s return on the overall MPG despite being reasonably heavy footed.

The 5 door versions folding seats quite cool but not yet found a use for them 😳

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The 5 door versions folding seats quite cool but not yet found a use for them

If I flip the seats up I can get my road bike in the back without taking wheels off, and still have an empty boot

xcstu
    Free Member

I have the older S type which looks just like the type R fantastic car!

My sis has bought the newer one and equally loves it… Really tempted by the newer shape and i’ve heard a rumour they are ending the Type R 🙁 due to emission regulations etc…

xcstu
    Free Member

anjs 🙁

…. every cloud has a silver lining 🙂

[/quote]Prices drop on Type R models
    Honda is also dropping the list price of the Type R.

The Type R GT is now, £19,495 and the Type R LSD is now £19,995, both £2230 less than their previous list price.

still not cheap mind…. 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘New-ish Honda Civic – any reason why I shouldn't?’ is closed to new replies.