Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • New Genesis Bikes
  • holdsteady

New Genesis range

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes

Have Evans fallen out with Genesis as don’t appear to stock them anymore which is annoying as I might be limited to Evans’s Cycle to Work scheme next year. Wonder if Mike Ashley’s henchmen tried to squeeze them too tightly on margins and they walked away.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

The Croix de fer range is interesting. Give the lowest priced frame a minging paint job and whack £50 onto the rrp. Give the more expensive one a nice paint job (does making it entirely out of 725 have any benefits? Be interesting to read a review of it). Give the 853 version a niceish paint job and charge an extra £200 for the frame.

Don’t know if they are experiencing higher costs, or anticipating them but it seems odd.

What are you looking at?

holdsteady

with the cycle to work scheme I’d probably have gone for the Croix De Fer 30, without it I might downgrade it to a CDF 20, hoping to see them in the flesh first.

Really like Genesis steel bikes, well thought out and functional, love my Genesis High Latitude

cromolyolly
    Free Member

About the only thing the 30 brings are through axles and a bit more tyre clearance. Everything else you could upgrade the 20 to get. The price difference seems a lot for what you get. Nice that even the 20 gets grx. There are some 20 and 30 from 2020 kicking around so you could go that route.
    Or buy a 2019 or 2020 853 frame and build it up

They seem like they have bailed completely on mountain bikes. Except for the longitude which was more of a bike packer.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Urghhhh, I give up with Genesis. What are they thinking? I have owned two Fugios, a 2019 and a 2020.
    It’s becoming a bike that does nothing well. They are clearly trying to direct it towards being an adventure/bikepacking with the addition of fork and top tube bosses but still spec it with a dropper !! What’s it supposed to be? A gravel bike, a monster cross, a rowdy play bike or an off-road tourer? Make your mind up Genesis.

iainc

I’m glad I bought my Fugio 30 a few months ago. That new colour scheme is horrendous IMO …

and my 2019 Vagabond at £1100 retail, plus my 2015 Croix De Fer 30..

winston
    Free Member

Perhaps they are letting the rider make their mind up? Plenty of people put droppers on bikepacking rigs and what a paint job!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have Evans fallen out with Genesis

Or is it the other way round? Perhaps Evans owe Madison a few bob…

wishiwascalledsteve

Arent Genesis and Saracen the same company (or own by the same company), they may have Genesis as the road/CX/gravel/adventure bikes and Saracen as the MTBs!?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    nuke

Wonder if Mike Ashley’s henchmen tried to squeeze them too tightly on margins and they walked away.

Same could be said of Norco by the look of it….no UK dealer for Norco now and I quite fancied a Revolver FS

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I have owned two Fugios, a 2019 and a 2020.
    It’s becoming a bike that does nothing well.</blockquot>

Had my eye on a Fugio as a possible ‘consolidation’ bike . Interested now

When you purchased the 2019 what were you hoping it would ‘do well’ ? And when you bought the 2020 what were you expecting/hoping it to do that the 2019 couldn’t?

tthew

Oh, they’ve uglified the Day One by giving it an alloy frame with a fat downtube. How disappointing. ☹️

jameso

double post glitch

jameso

Have Evans fallen out with Genesis

Or is it the other way round? Perhaps Evans owe Madison a few bob…

Nothing like that, no – simply didn’t sell that many. Croix de Fers always sold but few of anything else.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

When you purchased the 2019 what were you hoping it would ‘do well’ ? And when you bought the 2020 what were you expecting/hoping it to do that the 2019 couldn’t?

I did wonder that too!

Always liked the look of the longitude, just never got round to buying one!.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

CdF 50 looks properly nice – might be tempted next year – have a 2016 Day One as a winter bike – still going strong despite little maintenance love

trailwagger
    Free Member

I loved my 2019 it was the best bike I had owned for a loooong time. But, the tyre clearance wasn’t great and once I tried a bike with 700×40 that’s what I wanted. It was also a little on the heavy side and had crappy sram apex and mechanical discs.
    2020 came along with an upgraded tube set (lighter), full carbon fork (lighter), GRX (hydro) and a claim by Genesis of improved tyre clearance. That claim turned out to be false, and the tyre clearance was exactly the same as the 2019 model. Its a bike that i love to ride but is ultimately too limiting for the variety of riding that I do.

thelooseone

New bikes with exposed gear cables?! This is a big negative. Last bike I had with exposed gear cables was in 2007!

Ben_H

I really like Genesis bikes. I currently have two: a rather racey 2018 Mantle bought as a factory build and a 2020 931 Volare frameset. No doubt one of their framesets could replace my main custom gravel-lite Shand (not that I would ever do so).

Generally, they seem to go for the niches and try to build them up – a bit like a more urbane Surly I suppose. The spec of factory bikes is usually well-judged, but comparisons on key components make them look ~10% more expensive compared to bigger names.

I’m very fond of their colour schemes.

forked
    Free Member

What’s happened to Genesis? They used to make decent, affordable bikes. I’ve just had a quick look at the Equilibrium, as I owned an original model (in cherry red). £2400 for a steel framed bike with Shimano 105!? 105 used to be specced on bikes around the one thousand pound mark! Where does the other £2000 of your money go? Certainly not in to the wheels or finishing kit.

hatter

The Cherry red Equilibriums were £1,299.99 in 2013 when they launched.

Adjusted for 7 years inflation that’s £1,537

Bike are paid for in US dollars and the dollar was at 1.56 back then, now it’s 1.29 (Thanks Brexit!) factor that in.

The cost of getting a 40 foot container from Taiwan to the UK has also fluctuated wildly this year.

Now add in, Hydraulic brakes, Hydraulic STI’s, 11-speed gears, disc brake wheels, tubeless tyres, thru-axles, disc brake forks, disc brake dropouts, etc and account for the fact that the dollar prices for decent quality, low production volume steel frames from the good Taiwanese factories has also risen a fair chunk and you very easily get to £2,400

If you want to pay £1.3K for a 725 framed 105 geared rim brake road bike then Ribble will still sell you their endurance for that but they’re selling direct to the public so different pricing structure.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

thanks for that trailwagger, helpful. I can see how frustrating that would be. When I had the Vagabond I stuck 35c on and instantly missed the (2.1) Nanos

I’m guessing the Fugio is designed more around 650b once getting to monsterscrossy terrain?

trailwagger
    Free Member

I’m guessing the Fugio is designed more around 650b once getting to monsterscrossy terrain?

Absolutely this. And in 650b guise its a brilliant bike. Problem is many riders like myself want our gravel/adventure bikes to be more versatile than that. Genesis have gone part way there by adding the load carrying fork this year, but that’s not nearly enough. There are other bikes out there that cost a fraction of the Fugio that are just as good and are far more adaptable. A fancy paint job just isnt enough.

jameso

@trailwagger – more versatile/adaptable, in what way? Terrain that it’s suitable for or features eg loads of braze-on a AND a dropper route, or both/all?

trailwagger
    Free Member

@trailwagger – more versatile/adaptable, in what way? Terrain that it’s suitable for or features eg loads of braze-on a AND a dropper route, or both/all?

Put it this way, I replaced it with a Tripster ATR. I can run a small chainring and load the bike up for bikepacking including on the fork. I can run 650b x50 or 700x 45. I can swap out the chainring and strip the bike down for fast gravel rides. It’s also a great all day cruiser on the road. It’s lighter, just as compliant and comfy as the steel Fugio. I know the Fugio could do some of that, but it’s the tyre clearance that’s always seems to be the limiting factor. The annoying thing is that it’s not a hard thing for Genesis to fix, they just need to redesign the chainstay bridge. Either with a slight curve or just moving it forward a few mms

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Bike are paid for in US dollars and the dollar was at 1.56 back then, now it’s 1.29 (Thanks Brexit!) factor that in.

The prices of eg the Cdf frames have jumped between 10 and nearly 25% since last year, and the pound has been low since then. Plus most companies that deal with s1uppliers in foreign currency have some sort of hedging mechanism.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

but it’s the tyre clearance that’s always seems to be the limiting factor

That’s weird. The Cdf has been able to take 700×40 ish or big 650 tyre for a long time. Seems like it is the do everything bike that the fugio claims to be. Which is not how I thought it was marketed at all.
    The Masi bikes have big clearance and dropper routing and were very well priced. The aren’t 725 though. I wonder if genesis will lose sales to them and the others like them

mikertroid
    Free Member

No updated Tarn?

Was hoping they’d update with a slacker HA.

My iOID was (still is!) A fantastic bike, but want to combine the steel frame with the handling of my 29er Ramin 4 – my lads ride both those bikes now.

funkmasterp

Isn’t the Fugio designed around the 650 wheel size though? Clearance seems plenty with that wheel size. Isn’t the CDF basically the more road orientated bike or am I missing something? I like the Fugio, seems like a good mess about bike, sort of MTB- as opposed to road+ it’s just the price that makes my eyes water a bit.

holdsteady

@jameso – is Evans likely to stock the Croix de Fer?

jameso

I don’t think so, no, sorry. They narrowed the brands ranged a while back. I think they should.. 🙂

holdsteady

thanks @jameso – seems a gap in the market for a steel Arkose type bike to add to the Pinnacle range, if you could design,produce and have this in the stores by about April next year that would be great, no pressure 😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

@Jameso Ramin ST please 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

seems a gap in the market for a steel Arkose Ramin type bike to add to the Pinnacle range

iainc

My 2020 Fugio 30 is on the standard 650×47 wheels and tyres and is very plush. On the road it feels about the same speed as my 2015 CDF30 on 35c tyres with 2×11 Ultegra/105. Strava says it’s a touch slower. Once on gravel and trails the Fugio pisses all over the Croix de Fer in every way.

I also have a 2019 Vagabond which I love as a kick about and bikepacking workhorse. Out of the 3 the Fugio gets used the most at the moment, but in another month or so the CDF will pick up winter road duties for 6 months.

Great bikes IMO.

chestrockwell

Looks a decent range to me and can’t say any made my eyes bleed although I am neon retro fan and own a rasta Marin Four Corners. Price for most doesn’t seem too bonkers either.

Still can’t get my head around what each one is for though, they seem to offer hundreds of ‘gravel’ bikes that all look a bit different? What makes a tourer a tourer, gravel gravel, CX CX, etc?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Isn’t the CDF basically the more road orientated bike or am I missing

Still can’t get my head around what each one is for though, they seem to offer hundreds of ‘gravel’ bikes that all look a bit different? What makes a tourer a tourer, gravel gravel, CX CX, etc?

Yes. This
    Seems like the equilibrium/day one are road. TdF is loaded touring. Vagabond is BIG tyres, down/side country gravel exploring adventure drop bar mountain bike. Fully hooligan. Fugio is big tyre 650b down country/gravel exploring adventure dropbar bike mid hooligan. Cdf is semi sophisticated mid tyre downcountry gravel adventure exploring tourer for reformed roadies. Unless you put 650 on it, then it’s a steel fork fugio.
    Apparently gravel/adventure downcountry bikes are going to be the next big thing.

jameso

Steel Arkose … tbh the Al bike rides just as well and is lighter than anything we can do in steel. Steel would sell to people like me and you, the minority. Evans wouldn’t sell it in the numbers that would make it worth the time. There was a steel Arkose called the Dacite, a steel tourer. Sold through and wasn’t re-ordered.
    Right back to Genesis you lot, I’m butting out : )

orena45

My 2013 Cdf (Cdf, not Croix de Fer) is still my commuter bike/occasional road/gravel bike and does the job fine, but was thinking of replacing it on C2W this winter.  I always loved the cornflower blue colour.  The niggles that have bothered me more in recent years though, down to it’s age, were relatively poor tyre clearance, IS brake tabs so hydraulic discs are pretty much out of the question these days with flat mount, and 9mm QR.  Oh and the Kinesis CX Disc wheels I upgraded to years ago aren’t tubeless compatible.

That new Croix de Fer 40 is the exact same colour and has all the bits my CdF doesn’t.  WAANNNT!

But then…I look at the price, and realise my No. 2 choice, Orbea Terra, is only £100 more for full carbon frame, fork and seatpost.  Genesis bikes do feel very pricey these days for the specs.

Then again…Mrs orena45 definitely wouldn’t notice a new CdF40 in the shed 😉

funkmasterp

Just looked at pricing for Fugio 30 versus Cotic Escapade. £2574 for the Escapade versus £2999.99 for the Fugio. Looks like the Escapade has nicer wheels (Hope) and the Fugio slightly posher frame with the 725 and a dropper post. Doesn’t make the Fugio look too bad I suppose. Consider the fact that you’ll likely be able to pick up the previous years model of the Genesis slightly cheaper too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘New Genesis Bikes’ is closed to new replies.