Viewing 39 posts - 121 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • New Forum…Coming March 15th….probably
  • emma82
    Free Member

So just write WIN FREE SEX across the front page of each issue and you’ll sell loads more copies!!

Can I please put in a request for a fashion section on the new site!!! Or one where we can talk about other hobbies without getting a ban 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

HELLO!

Jamie
    Free Member

So just write WIN FREE SEX across the front page of each issue and you’ll loads more copies!!

Surely just offering free sex, rather than a slim chance of winning it, would sell more copies?

BoardinBob

We aren’t pulling out of high street retailers completely but we will be scaling back availability in shops other than bike shops where we will be increasing availability

Bold move.

I’m sure I’m not alone here, but I rarely go to a bike shop but I visit WH Smith regularly to buy magazines.

I appreciate the benefits the new setup could bring to bike shops, but it’s s bold move for ST. I do hope it works for you though.

brakes
    Free Member

v. interesting.
    from my perspective, and I’m sure that this is shared by many others, I don’t really care when my magazine drops through the letterbox as long as it does, or if it reaches the shops before it reaches me. I read it when I have the time/ inclination. maybe those who are really bothered about getting it ASAP could pay an extra sub, to get it sent direct rather than through RM Presstream.

emma82
    Free Member

Perhaps they can offer up forumites, first up Jamie, followed by yeti, elfin, tj etc etc

Mark

I’m sure I’m not alone here, but I rarely go to a bike shop but I visit WH Smith regularly to buy magazines

You are certainly not alone but fewer people like you are actually buying mags in shops now.

You will still be able to buy Singletrack in WHS. In fact later in the second half of the year we will be looking at possible introduction of Singletrack in WHS supplied airports. That’s hugely expensive but it’s possible that the new format will work very well there.

Oh and HELLO! Wrecker. Have you clicked the ‘subscribe’ button on the menu?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😯

binners

I don’t really care when my magazine drops through the letterbox as long as it does, or if it reaches the shops before it reaches me. I read it when I have the time/ inclination.

+1

coffeeking
    Free Member

Will it have email notification of replies to posts back again? I miss those days.

D0NK

so very wasteful if so many mags go to recycling, without being sold or read.

Surely they’ll have been read, WHsmiths is just like a library isn’t it? Actually with all the council cutbacks WHS is our library.

Interesting stuff on the economics of shelf space/mag sales, I tell you humans are freaking weirdos

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh and HELLO! Wrecker. Have you clicked the ‘subscribe’ button on the menu?

Notice anything different about me?

Cant help but wonder if you get a ban for being a premier member called rick.

vinnyeh

Mark, are you still going to be sticking to 8 mags a year with the move?

Will you expand the editorial team, or buy more stuff in?

scud
    Free Member

Very interesting the comments from Mark, as a paper magazine subscriber I never realised how the mags were sold via the shops and the wastage.

I think that the changes sound like they are needed and are a good idea and best of luck to all at ST, still the best magazine by far.

(still only ever got one discount card when i first subsrcibed 3 years ago, never received one since..)

Mark

Yay Wrecker! Welcome to the club 🙂

Vinnyeh, we will still be 8 issues a year. Quality not quantity. Editorially we’ve already added Jenn to our team and we will hopefully have another designer on board in the next few months too. Editorial budget is being increased so long as the economics work. ie.. waste reduction plans need to generate the money that we will invest back into the content.

In short we intend to make the distribution and presentation of everything we do much more efficient and economic. The savings that will bring will be ploughed back into the content.

xiphon
    Free Member

But when you come back to the site and browse to find your threads…. STW gets ad impressions 😉

Mark

The members card revamp has already started. Originally the system was geared around providing a single card at the start of a subscription that simply remained valid for as long as your subscription existed.

We’ve now invested in some proper high quality plastic credit card style members cards that expire and are replaced annually. The cost difference is minimal since we’ve invested in a lot of cards at once.

Many recent subscribers and renewers will have already had theirs. It will be a gradual process to roll out to everyone as the card generation is now tied into the renewal date of your subscription. everyone should have their new cards by the end of the year.

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks Mark!
    It’s about time really, I feel dreadful putting all those mags in the recycling. The ipad allows me to read mags so easily and the archive was very attractive too.
    Not a criticism, but could we have more articles not based around todmorden please?

juan
    Free Member

Yeah lets have articles based arounds Nice or Cannes or paris 😀
    Nae only joking nothign to see or ride down here 😀

binners

Maybe we could have some pre/during/post-ride food reviews? I’ve heard the bacon quiche at the cafe in Peaslake, Surrey is to die for. I’d like an independent opinion though

portlyone

So it’s going up in weight… I look forward to more these:

😉

DezB
    Free Member

everyone should have their new cards by the end of the year.

That quick eh? 😉

cinnamon_girl

Could I just politely request that the original paper version of the mag does not disappear?

I like to put my feet up on the sofa, enjoy the fabulous photography with a turn of every page, whilst slurping my non-niche coffee. 🙂

Viewing on some bit of plastic just wouldn’t be the same. 😉

vinnyeh

Could I just politely request that the original paper version of the mag does not disappear?

You’ve not been reading the thread now, have you? 😉

cinnamon_girl

I’m looking in my crystal ball. 😉

ART

Members cards eh! As one of your original 200 or so ‘can we do this, yes we can’ subscribers… 8) I can say that the cards have been a bit hit and miss, the most current one I have ‘expires Jul 2009’, since when I’ve been relying on my inherent charm and a bit of eyelash batting to get my discounts where offered. 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Cant help but wonder if you get a ban for being a premier member

Thinking I might change my name to Enis Gobbler by deed poll before 15th March now for some strange reason!

Anyway, approvals all round from me on the planned changes to the mag, and it’s distribution. Less waste is always a good thing, as is more benefits to being a subscriber IMO. Just got to remember to change my subs address now as I moved the other week!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve always bought my copies from WhirlingHorseShoes and have hated the way they treat Mag producers.
    I did a piece of work for someone a while back which looked into distribution outlets and WobblyHairyShoulders was by quite a margin the worst company to deal with.
    So…So I’m of the opinion that Mark (and team) are deffo going in the right direction, though you do seem to be stepping on Privateer’s ring binders a little with the changes, but, bbbbbut that’s ok. Coffee table designer reading is what it’s all about these days.

I’ll still buy it, buy it on content mind as I’ve always done.

project
    Free Member

How much is the new issue going to cost, over the counter.

juan
    Free Member

Any simple way I can register for digital? Really simple.
    I have a tab open on the subscribe now but I can’t be bothered to fill up all the useless stuff about the address and so. I am in France so bit of non interest to you. I just want to put my CC details and get on with it.
    Any chances of that to append? That would be awesome.

zokes
    Free Member

Any simple way I can register for digital? Really simple.
    I have a tab open on the subscribe now but I can’t be bothered to fill up all the useless stuff about the address and so. I am in France so bit of non interest to you. I just want to put my CC details and get on with it.
    Any chances of that to append? That would be awesome.

Ironically, you could probably have typed it all in two or three times in the time it took you to type all that…

juan
    Free Member

yeah true but it’s just the principle. I want my logging to be registered as premier digital user. If I want a physical mag I would happily complete the fields. But I don’t. I just want to click on a button, tick the I agree box and zou premier here I come.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I would imaging the CC companies would insist that a vendor get an address for an online purchase anyway? I could be wrong though

Blackhound

Thanks for all that Mark, interesting reading, especially as one of the initial subscribers on the 5 for the price of 4 offer.

Might be worth putting some of this on your blog as some people might not read your insights on his thread. I nearly ignored the thread for one.

Good luck with it all – particularly reducing waste. I hate that!

wwaswas

juan – what cheeseytoes said – it’s required by the CC companies for customer not present transactions to help avoid fraud.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m assuming this is the first time Juan has tried to buy something on the internet.

No other explanation for it.

None.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Do they even have the internet in France?

Jamie
    Free Member

Do they even have the internet in France?

They have to import it from Belgium.

DavidB
    Free Member

juan – what cheeseytoes said – it’s required by the CC companies for customer not present transactions to help avoid fraud.

Not 100% correct, it :”helps” rather than is required. And they only check the digits in the address.

Viewing 39 posts - 121 through 159 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘New Forum…Coming March 15th….probably’ is closed to new replies.