Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New Eurostar policy that bikes must now be boxed
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11930463/Eurostars-bike-dismantling-policy-treats-cyclists-as-third-class-passengers.htm

Eurostar are providing boxes but what size bikes will go in there – probably only 26er mtbs with 610mm bars ?

offthebrakes
    Free Member
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Brings it inline with flying, which is one of the reasons I don’t like flying with bikes. Faff of having to rebuild a bike late evening or early next morning before hitting the trails, and then is everything done up just right, might need to adjust on the trail, and you need to take a bunch of tools which adds to the luggage weight.

Then there’s the risk of the bike ending up on a different flight and trip is ruined.

Though at least on the train you’d assume it will be on the same train and the bike isn’t getting smashed up by bag throwers and luggage machinery.

zilog6128

Though at least on the train you’d assume it will be on the same train and the bike isn’t getting smashed up by bag throwers and luggage machinery.

I think even before this when you could book a slot on a train for your bike, there was no guarantee it would be on the same train as you!

It seems mad because when you actually get to Europe the trains are supposed to be very accommodating of bikes. Going skiing/boarding by Eurostar is a great experience – it’s a real shame that they make travelling with a bike so awkward.

jameso

You can’t currently take an MTB or tourer to the S of France or Alps via ES, unless you can pack it with the forks and guards off (ie ‘less than 85cm max dimension’).
    http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage/travelling-with-your-bike

If the new policy is simply ‘boxed bike’ and the size limit is removed and you can get to the Alps it’s actually better?

European Bike Express is much better way to start a trip to France and costs the same as ES to the Alps, or just fly for the same level of faff as ES would be anyway.

honourablegeorge

deadkenny – Member
    Brings it inline with flying, which is one of the reasons I don’t like flying with bikes. Faff of having to rebuild a bike late evening or early next morning before hitting the trails, and then is everything done up just right, might need to adjust on the trail, and you need to take a bunch of tools which adds to the luggage weight.

I bring a 5mm allen key. Does my front & rear axles, stem bolts, saddle clamp and dérailleur bolt. And a 6mm for my pedals. Hardly a “bunch” of tools

jambalaya
    Free Member

There isn’t enough room on the Eurostar for luggage if everyone brings a suitcase. Un boxed bikes are a PITA for the other passengers. Personally I think they should have a dedicated large luggage carriage which you pre-book and pay for like on most airlines.

jameso

..bikes will now need to be carried in a bike box. Any-sized bike boxes will be accepted,

From Eurostar’s reply to a Q about this. They say it allows them to carry more bikes than before.
    Not clear yet if it includes boxed bikes on the Alps service that they’re currently excluded from.

scotroutes

Interesting. The bike boxes we use are 172x25x110 (usually only requiring a swing of the bars). I wonder what Eurostar would make of them?

souldrummer
    Free Member

Have to say I never saw a loose bike when I travelled on Eurostar. I used to take my bike to Brussels on a regular basis and put it in a proper bike bag and placed it on the normal luggage racks without a problem. Considering the size of most people’s luggage a bike bag rally isn’t that big. I’ve not taken a bike for some time as I now leave one at my mates house in Belgium. One of the great things you can do from Brussels is connect with trains to the rest of Belgium for nothing using your Eurostar ticket. Not sure how this feature will work with the new boxing requirement, unless the boxes are big enough to just take the wheels out and turn the bars round.

simondbarnes

The bike boxes we use are 172x25x110 (usually only requiring a swing of the bars). I wonder what Eurostar would make of them?

I suspect they’ll say bugger off. Their max box dimensions are… 129 x 84 x 26cm

jimdubleyou

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting us regarding our cycle policy.

I would first like to reassure you that the luggage policy has been designed to use the space on our trains more flexibly for the benefit of all customers, including cyclists.

As you correctly point out, bikes will now need to be carried in a bike box. Any-sized bike boxes will be accepted, and Eurostar will happily provide a padded bike box to customers who would rather not travel with one. Please also rest assured that our staff are trained and ready to assist to ensure it is a seamless experience for our passengers.

When packaged in this way, it means that we can look at carrying more bikes than before depending on the demand from passengers, which I’m sure you will agree is good news for the cycling community.

I hope this will help clarify the situation, and reassure you that our cycling customers continue to be important to us.

Kind regards,

Eurostar Traveller Care

simondbarnes

Well that sounds positive 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New Eurostar policy that bikes must now be boxed’ is closed to new replies.