Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New cassette – Help me choose.
  • asterix
    Free Member

I usually just get the Shimano one for compatibility

but this is almost impossible for the average punter like me who gets through so few cassettes.

I am trying to choose a 9-speed road cassette just now and have a choice of ultegra 6500 @ £35 or SRAM PG970 @ £40. Does anyone really know how to choose?

patriotpro
    Free Member

I was all set to buy the SRAM but read that it gouges the Free-hub body which put me off.

wwaswas

If it’s a hope hub then I think you need somethign with more sprockets on the carrier than either of those give?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Sprockets? A 9-speed cassette as 9 sprockets no?

Hope Pro3s btw…

rocketman
    Free Member

You want a PG990 from On-One

cp

XT has much more sprockets on a carrier so less likely to do damage to an alu. free hub body

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/cassettes-mtb/shimano-xt-9-speed-cassette.html

gonzy
    Free Member

merlin are selling the slx cassette for a few quid less…but the sram cassette costs a few quid more…. 😯

patriotpro
    Free Member

Can you tell me what 990 offers over the 980? The 980 appears to have an alloy spider (as the 990 does).

rocketman
    Free Member

the 990 has a red spider which makes it faster

patriotpro
    Free Member

rocketman – Member
    the 990 has a red spider which makes it faster

😆

Just as I thought.

rocketman
    Free Member

Being super-critical about it the rivets that hold the cogs together on a PG980 are slightly less pefectly formed than on an XT, whereas the 990 looks like the sort of thing they made when the tooling was all new. There are probably two bins at the factory one marked ‘990’ where all the really good ones go and one marked ‘980’ where the slightly imperfect ones go.

Would not get an SLX tbh it works perfectly but has a distinctly workmanlike look to it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

cheers rocketman

julianwilson
    Free Member

There are probably two bins at the factory one marked ‘990’ where all the really good ones go and one marked ‘980’ where the slightly imperfect ones go.

The alloy spider on the 980 holds three sprockets, the spider on the 990 holds six of them. And is red. Or indeed pink, green, gold or orange. (The rest of the sprockets are ‘loose’ on both cassettes, and held on/together by the lockring.)

I suppose if you use the middle three sprockets a lot and have an alloy freehub the 990 might be worth considering. Or if like my wife you like little pink bits on your bike! If there was a good and economical supply of middly cassette sprockets as individual spares (tbh I have never really checked, but I know that sjs and rose amongst others sell shimano ones, not sure if the shifting cutouts are in the right place though) I would consider the 980 over the 990 as I seem to wear the middle three out soonest.

HermanShake
    Free Member

XT. Lighter than the 990 and Shimanoer than it too. I recommend a KMC chain (they make Shimano chains) which are well priced and come with a quick link.

rascal
    Free Member

OP – having a similar dilemma to you.
    Decided to go XT with KMC chain.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New cassette – Help me choose.’ is closed to new replies.