Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • New Bird – Aether 7
  • idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Couldn’t see anything on this..

https://www.bird.bike/aether-7/

goby

Wow a new version of my Orange blood!!

barbs
    Free Member

Review up on Pinkbike now.

rossburton
    Free Member

Looks a *lot* like a Cotic Flare but with alu instead of steel.

the00
    Free Member

I hope they bring an Aether 9 with bigger wheels. Like the look of the AM9, but more travel than I need.

ta11pau1

527 reach and 470 seat tube on the XL…

Looooooooooong!!

hardtailonly

Added to the wish(ful thinking) list!

Superficial
    Free Member

Lol at “Bigfoot” blue.

Looks nice.

kayak23

Nice. What’s an Aether when it’s at home?

P-Jay
    Free Member

It look *exactly* like all the current FS Bird bikes and even though I’ve got a 160, I really want one.

SirHC

No 29er trail bike?

sharkattack

That looks fun. Like a modern day Blood, Bottlerocket, Blur 4x etc…

I’d consider it if I wasn’t retired from fun activities.

hooli

Looks great, just a pity it isnt 29er

flange
    Free Member

I’m glad it’s not a 29er, I just don’t get on with them. I will be buying one of these!

momo

I’m another one in the ‘fingers crossed they make a 29er version’ camp. Looks lovely but for now my (hypothetical) money will be going to wards a FlareMax.

DickBarton

Glad it isn’t a 29er as well…looks good but from my initial glance and not reading the specs, it looks very similar to my 120LT…so I’m not envious of it as I’m really liking the current one I’m riding.

If it is longer and lower then I suspect it isn’t for me, but it does look very nice.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Glad it isn’t a 29er as well…looks good but from my initial glance and not reading the specs, it looks very similar to my 120LT…so I’m not envious of it as I’m really liking the current one I’m riding.

It replaces the 120 and 120LT and shares some of the tubing but mildly tweaked rather than redesigned.

Sort of how the 145LT became the 160.

kayak23

No 29er trail bike?

29 is dead.

Well, apart from the strikingly different linkage layout, bend in the lower downtube,  welded gusset where the top and downtube meet, shock mount on an entirely different tube and the lack of an open gusset on the seat tube yeah, . Looks exactly like one.. 😉

DickBarton

Ah, ok…that is bad news for me then as that could mean a new bike is on the horizon sooner than later!

rossburton
    Free Member

Okay fine, superficially it’s nothing like the Flare, but intention is the same. Short travel, long, fun.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I’m sure Bird knows what they’re doing but this release comes up as odd, at least to my perception. Most people I ever heard commenting on Bird’s range was either wishing for a trail 29er or for a longer travel AM9

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m sure Bird knows what they’re doing but this release comes up as odd, at least to my perception. Most people I ever heard commenting on Bird’s range was either wishing for a trail 29er or for a longer travel AM9

I think given the way Bird “do” travel, I don’t think you’d really need an AM9 with more than 150mm?

I have a lot of faith in them, I think they try to design bikes to work really well for their intended use (they work pretty bloody great everywhere) if that means they’re best suited to 275 then it’s 275. Leave it to SC to make a two versions of the same bike with different wheel sizes.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’m sure its an improvement on an already good bike (which I own and love), and enough of a change to warrant new name and branding. And I love the Pink.
    If people can confuse this with a Flare, I may be overestimating the aesthetic appreciation and understanding of suspension of the general populace.

The 120 is the oldest of the current crop of full sussers, and its a considerable amount of time between design and sale.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Had an AM9 for an year, loved it but always felt more like a big burly trail bike rather than an enduro one. Not ragging on it, it was an absolute killer bike for long rough AM rides, it’s an unbelievable climber. Also limited to a 150mm fork which shapes the front end feel somewhat.

There would be definitely room for a 170mm front, 160mm rear or so 29er in their lineup

ayjaydoubleyou

I think given the way Bird “do” travel, I don’t think you’d really need an AM9 with more than 150mm?

I have a lot of faith in them, I think they try to design bikes to work really well for their intended use (they work pretty bloody great everywhere) if that means they’re best suited to 275 then it’s 275. Leave it to SC to make a two versions of the same bike with different wheel sizes.

The implication is that they’ve got
    AM9 – race;
    Aeris160 – park/alps/big mountain;
    120(and now Aether) – play/trail.

I have used mine for all 3, so they are no one trick pony. A full n+1 stable is still the money no object ideal though.

While I like SC as a brand and they are nice bikes, no idea which one I want. Plus they do a Volkswagen and jump half a category upwards at each new iteration.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nice bike, looks good. As ever, folk judge it on wheel size without ever having tried it.

Bizarre.

plus-one

650b is the future !!

ajt123
    Free Member

The implication is that they’ve got
    AM9 – race;
    Aeris160 – park/alps/big mountain;
    120(and now Aether) – play/trail.

Good analysis there fella. I reckon the 145 might cease, with the linkage available to shrink down the 160…

Builds are pricier than the 120lt mind.

argee

Looks nice, and some interesting options, just wish Bird would fix their site a bit to make it easier to see prices for builds and tweaks, instead of always getting errors due to no stock of something.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bit like a shorter travel version of my old Process 153.

That was great fun but the 425mm chainstays gave it a very distinctive character and could be limiting in some situations.

Interesting to see Bird bucking the geometry trend, but I’d be concerned the larger models might feel a bit unbalanced.

527 reach and 425mm CS on the XL!

matt_outandabout

I like the look of that…

benpinnick

Don’t worry 29er fans there’s plenty of bikes in the pipeline this year. I for one though am replacing my whole FS fleet with just the Aether 7 as since I’m not racing anymore I prioritise fun over flat out speed and the Aether 7 is that bike.

qwerty
    Free Member

Medium please.

sv

Looks good Ben, would be the bike in the current Bird range that I’d move to, from a Mk1 Aeris.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

That looks like a lot of fun. I’m available for Tweed valley based bike testing Ben.

benpinnick

We have a full fleet in the Northern demo centre, and one on Peebles right now (watch out for a street pigeon video tomorrow). Well be up you way very soon too. If ever there was a Glentress trail bike…

sprocker
    Free Member

Just about to order one of these as my new do it all bike. Stopped riding 29 wheels last year having tried a few, just prefer 27.5. Going to be running 150mm forks on it with a 44 offset not the 37. Thanks Ben for should prompt responses to queries. Great value as well.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m loving my Zero 29 but I’ll need a lottery win before I can get a new bike. Or sell a child….

kimbers
  • It does seem like the right bike for berny, jumpy trail centres and sounds like my old process, which I do miss, even tho my new process does more thing better
cookeaa

I hope they bring an Aether 9 with bigger wheels. Like the look of the AM9, but more travel than I need.

I have similar wants, but then I’m still not sure short-mid travel 29ers with tasty angles are as appealing to the prime MTB target market (early 20s to mid 30something trail riders?).

I’m just an old duffer who wants 29er roll-over in preference to travel, and some ‘modern angles’ now for “occasional gnarr, with a fair bit of basic trundling about” and I doubt I’m representative of the majority of people buying LLS mountain bikes…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘New Bird – Aether 7’ is closed to new replies.

Overview Chat Bike Members News Women