Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • new bike – i want it all (29er – trail – tourer – road…)
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

i’ve been thinking of getting a 29er (despite being 5′ 7″) been doing some road riding recently and just plain like the way bigger wheels roll,

also been thinking of some on and off road touring – nothing too heavy (kit wise) and considering i’m 60Kg don’t need a tank.

so my wanted ad would read something like “petite (5’7″) Slim-ish (60kg) healthy outdoor type (cycles to work in the rain – but still drinks too much)looking for something new (29er) to take me to farflung places (Spain this Summer)- Swings both ways (bouncy forks for off road and rigid for on)”

not up to speed on wanted ad’s! – come on singaltrackers – recommend me a ride!

Stoner
    Free Member

Scandal 29er Slotted drop out 16″
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Slot_Dropout_Scandal_29er.html

Unbelievably supple frame, rather re-writing the book of generalisations about aluminium frame characteristics. Brilliantly versatile drop out – not the purtiest, but solves so many problems deflty.

only one left though…

Get an On-One carbon 29er fork while you’re there for touring and singlespeeding and grab one of a growing number of 29er suspension forks for rougher trails.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Hmmm, pretty mcch every 29er will take a rear rack (maybe with P-clips and a little bodging) I guess price range would help but the Haro Mary is quite a nice bike for the £££ (either geared or s/s) or you could look at building up a frame although that will cost a little more and helps if you have a definite “plan” for the spec. Surly, Salsa, On-One, Singular and others all make nice frames

I would say that its important to get the fit right for longer trips and if you go for an off the peg bike look at switching out saddles, pedals, grips etc as well as getting the bars / saddle / pedals in the right places.

The 29er forum on MTBR.com is a good place to get info on brands and info on specific stuff like rims / forks etc…

SSP

alexonabike

Karate Monkey? i love mine.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

hmmm – surly, like the idea perhaps a bit overbuilt. Niner? look nice, just don’t think there worth the dosh? quite like the look of Gary Fishers and Salsa’s…

probably build up from frame

Sam

Getting something small enough is going to be your main concern. What length ett is your current bike? 23″ is about as short as they get with an off the shelf 29er.

markenduro
    Free Member

Slot dropout scandal 29er would be a good bet for rack fitting as the rear disc calliper is out of the way, although wheel removal with gears can be a bit fiddly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘new bike – i want it all (29er – trail – tourer – road…)’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM