Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New bike for a new(ish) rider
  • brwr
    Free Member

Hi all

New to the forum and looking to get into mountain biking again after not really riding in the last 15 years!

I need to buy a new bike and spotted a Vitus Sentier VRS+ nicely discounted that seems to have everything I want to get into the sport.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/vitus-sentier-vrs-hardtail-bike-slx-1×11-2018/rp-prod159772

I’m basically ready to buy it but I’m struggling with sizing. I’m 5’11” and seem to sit right between an M or L. My concern is that I’ll be too tall for the M and perhaps too short for the L.

Is there some unwritten rule about sizing up or down for us folks on the cusp of 2 sizes?

Cheers all!

Mike

gnusmas

Welcome 🙂

Can’t help with the sizing, but if you join British Cycling (£22 a year if i remember correctly) you will get a code for an extra 10% off once a month with CRC for any spend over £99.

Good luck with it.

brwr
    Free Member

Wow thanks! That’s 100 off, Can afford to get a few other bits now!

Thinking a multi tool of some sort and perhaps a hydration pack.

Thinking of going for the large and hoping for the best…

linchpin
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and I had a go on a friend’s medium sentier the other day and it felt too small for me.  I ride a large vitus escarpe and I think they’re fairly short compared to other bikes.  I’m not a geometry guru however.

If I were 5’11” I’d have a Large.  CRC will probably swap it over if necessary, you’ll prob just have to cover postage.  I actually think you’d be fine on either.

I think the VRS looks like an awesome bike and for 900 quid I’m very tempted myself.

brwr
    Free Member

Good point on just swapping if it’s the obviously wrong size when it arrives. Do you by any chance know if your friends Sentier was a 2018? Looking at geometry charts it seems like they’ve added a fair bit of length over the last couple of years.

I’ve gone for the medium and will exchange it if it feels wrong.

Also ordered a helmet, pedals and a hydration pack.

Wish me luck!

linchpin
    Free Member

It was the grey 2017 vrs.  I hadn’t realised they’d got longer this year.

I had a medium specialized hardtail years ago, loved it.  Never knew any different.

You’re going to have a ball on that.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

That bike looks great fun! I think you’d be fine with either size, the length of the seat tube isn’t really all that important as they’ve been getting shorter and shorter on most bikes. Just fit a longer seat post if you need extra height and you’ll be laughing.

hols2
    Free Member

If you haven’t been riding for 15 years, you’ll probably find that new bikes are longer than what you were used to, but stems are shorter. Personally, I find it much easier to adjust to a bike that’s one size too small than one size too big. I’m 5’11” and generally ride medium sized frames.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Large, nice bike btw..

hodgynd
    Free Member

5′ 11.5″ ..but have arms like an Orangutan ..I would have gone large ..

I used to be 6′ ..but think that I’m starting to shrink !

brwr
    Free Member

Happy new bike day to me!

So it arrived earlier on today and I’ve just attached the handlebars and some new pedals that arrived a couple of days ago. Love it already and all I’ve done is take it around the block!

I went for a medium in the end, it feels great to me but i guess i won’t know for sure until after a few proper rides. If i do find it a touch short i can always change the 45mm stem to something a touch longer.

I also bought a helmet and hydration pack at the same time so hopefully this weekend i can take it out for a few hours for a proper test. Any recommendations for locations in Bristol?

jeffl

Not a Bristol local but Ashton Court is probably a good start. Do as many laps as you feel like and easy to knock it on ohe head when you feel tired.

brwr
    Free Member

Sounds like a good place to start. Seriously lacking fitness at the moment though so it won’t take long to get tired!

bigbloke
    Free Member

Errrrrrrr aren’t we supposed to be commenting on your interior / exterior of a pic of said bike?

brwr
    Free Member

Photo on the way in that case!

linchpin
    Free Member

Where’s this pic?  I’d quite like to see the frame colour.   The CRC website has a habit of making colours look very different from the in-the-flesh colour.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New bike for a new(ish) rider’ is closed to new replies.