Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • New Bike Day – Big, slack, & begging to be ridden hard…
  • Paul-B

Oh wow, that’s a thing of beauty!

Alex

Nice looking bike. See loads of them here (about 10 miles from Mojo HQ). Those EXT shocks are fantastic.

If it makes you feel better my (carbon) Giga weighs about that. It does have the Zeb coil conversion as well tho.

ta11pau1

If it makes you feel better my (carbon) Giga weighs about that. It does have the Zeb coil conversion as well tho.

Oof! Though there’s a large number of G1 owners running triple crown forks like the Dorado – must close to 18kg with that set up.

ta11pau1

Brakes bled, front set up (which was really easy, the new stainless pistons are great!) – front only as I need the 2 shorter bolts for the rear.

A quick ride up the road to bed them in a little (Hope green pads so they don’t need much) and oh my, hello power!

I had Tech 3 V4’s on my old bike with a 203mm rotor up front, these tech 4’s with a 220 are a step up it seems – they’re not grabby at all but the power is much easier to get to, with a bite more bite after the initial bit of braking. I don’t have any damping settings on the fork at the moment and it was diving well into its travel on semi hard braking. 😁

bri-72

Very nice, you not tempted by a Pinion Nicolai? To sit alongside the hard tail?

I’m lucky and picked up a bargain used Deviate Guide so that plus the Curtis I’m all in on gearboxes.

jimmy748

Looks as epic as they ride, top buying skill 👍.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Love that, so jealous. That would likely be too much travel if I ever went back to a full suss, but reading reviews (including the recent ST article) everyone says how easy they are to get on with for what appears to be a gravity-oriented bike. Look forward to hearing more..

bedmaker

Lovely 😍
    I took the plunge a few months ago with a pretty similar build to yours.
    It’s a fantastic bike.

I also find the fact that my collection is now all raw metal quite satisfying 🙂

Apart from the red one!

ta11pau1

Very nice, you not tempted by a Pinion Nicolai? To sit alongside the hard tail?

I was tempted (also tempted by a zerode) but knowing that the pinion set up adds another kilo or so to the bike, purely for hike-a-bike I think the weight would be getting too much at well over 18kg. And they don’t do a G1 pinion, only the G16 or G15.

Plus also cost was a factor.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

They need to improve the cable/hose routing on the downtube, it seems like an afterthought, shoulda gone silver option with the tech4’s IMHO.

bedmaker

They need to improve the cable/hose routing on the downtube

They really don’t.
    It’s the best I’ve had on any bike.

Of course, internalising the cables would give some aero advantage, but I’m not planning on using it for TTs, so not an issue 🙂.

a11y

They need to improve the cable/hose routing on the downtube

No they don’t. Works brilliantly, they improved it on the G1 compared to the G15/16 etc where the cables/hoses go inside of the shock mounts and requiring disconnecting the rear brake when fitting. G1 rear brake can be swapped in minutes I believe with no disconnecting.

ta11pau1

They need to improve the cable/hose routing on the downtube, it seems like an afterthought

The dropper routing inside or the external? The external is perfect IMO, you can swap the rear brake without disconnecting the hose, the cable guides keep the hose just away from the downtube so no rattle. The Nicolai routing puts it inside the shock mounts.

The internal dropper might be rattly but I think it’s just a case of inserting it enough so it holds itself against the inside of the downtube.

Got my shorter bolts delivered today so that’s brakes now bedded in and set up.

Also got all my stuff attached to the bike so I can ride packless for shorter rides.

Oneup pump & oneup tool
    Little piggy bag with tube/CO2/tyre plugs
    Bottle

chrismac

G1 rear brake can be swapped in minutes I believe with no disconnecting

How often do you change your rear brake for that to be an issue? Mine stay on the bike for years at a time. With a set of Hope breaks and their fabled reliability I would imagine they could stay for years without needing to come off

spooky211
    Free Member

What have you used to fix the One-Up pump/tool? Looks neat….

leegee

Nice, there is another one being ridden on Blue bell hill.

ta11pau1

What have you used to fix the One-Up pump/tool? Looks neat….

That’s the 76 projects inline pump mount:

Inline Pump Mount

spooky211
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks.

jimmy748

I’ve done a 100Km XC ride on my 18kg G16 with triple clamps and it was fine.

https://strava.app.link/J0HRvBl4sub

ta11pau1

Yeah it’s a decent little mount, comes with sticky pad and bolts, I have the official oneup one on my hardtail and wanted to get away from the oneup stem and its headset preloader which was just a faff tbh.

Just put the bike on my towbar rack to check the fit, fits fine but it does overhang by a far bit now 🤣 probably 10-15cm wider than my mirrors on both sides at a guess.

And I think I’ll have to move one of my garage hooks up a little, or turn the bars 180 degrees when hanging it for storage.

#longbikeproblems 😁

v7fmp
    ta11pau1

I’ve done a 100Km XC ride on my 18kg G16 with triple clamps and it was fine.

You mad man! 🤣 Nah, weight isn’t an issue unless you’ve got the bike on your shoulders – I’ve lost more kg than my bikes have gained in the last year or so. Just weighed my hardtail and it’s 15.3kg without pedals, so 15.7kg with pedals. So the G1 is ‘only’ 1.3kg heavier!

bike of the day whoop!

Woohoo! 😁😎

nickc

and it was fine.

uh huh.

Congrats for getting bike of day on Vital, nice one 😎.

When I look at all that stuff clamped to the frame I’m glad my Enduro has a stash box in the downtube!

ta11pau1

First ride today straight after work, a quick hour or so on some local stuff to check everything is good before I go for a bigger ride tomorrow.

So the only rattle I’ve found is the front brake hose hitting the stem, I’m not sure whether to use the behind arch or normal routing on the fork but I’ll get that sorted.

The brakes are fricking immense. So much power, but so much control.

I can feel the weight of the tyres when climbing up slow steep bits (the 16psi I’m running in the rear tyre might also have an affect… 🤣) but the upside to that is on the flat or slightly uphill they’ve got tonnes of momentum behind them, they bike really zips along on smooth, flat stuff!

singlespeedstu

You need to get that pointed down some of the good shit.😁

ta11pau1

You need to get that pointed down some of the good shit.

Yep, agreed! It is complete and utter overkill for my local stuff, but as all the reviews say, it’s remarkably comfortable and fast on flat, mellow stuff too. I’m thinking of going to the Surrey hills tomorrow, I did ride one of my fav fast trails tonight, the Strava segment is called “Glowing Rotors” which gives an idea… Set a new PB even though it was in the dark, wet for the first time in ages and the leaves all over the trail looked like chalk stones so I was taking it easy… 🤣🤣

mboy
    Free Member

Loving the look with the chrome Mezzer’s… 👌🏻

Wouldn’t have put tan walls on myself, but otherwise very nice build!

integra

“Nice bike mate, give us a go”   Know where that picture was taken🙂

Think I’d rather have a go on the Nordest, just to try gearbox bike. Still not to sure about LLS geometry yet, maybe it’s me and the way I ride a bike.

ta11pau1

“Nice bike mate, give us a go” Know where that picture was taken🙂

Think I’d rather have a go on the Nordest, just to try gearbox bike. Still not to sure about LLS geometry yet, maybe it’s me and the way I ride a bike.

Haha yep Bluebell hill is pretty unmistakable.

Quite happy to give people a go, especially on the gearbox bike as I know how hard they are to demo. The Nordest is slacker than my Jeffsy by a degree or 2, it’s partly what make me want a slacker full suspension – I was faster down some stuff on the hardtail than the full suspension. 65.5 degrees just seems a bit conservative these days!

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.