• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by the00.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New Bike day and first ride: Bird Aether 9c
  • Premier Icon the00
    Free Member

Bird Aether 9c size XL gloss black. Most parts moved over from my Cotic SolarisMax.
    Gloss black finish is intriguing… you can see the patterns and swirls of the fibre beneath the gloss, but lots of different layers and pieces all catch the light a bit different, so it’s quite a random finish. The aesthetics for me are ok, but might be a bit head-doing for some. Matches nicely to the gloss black of the forks and brakes. The gloss Invisiframe kit is probably unnecessary as I think this finish will prove quite hardwearing, and should respond well to a polish once a year.

The build wasn’t all plain sailing:
    The Chris King headset doesn’t fit so well, as the top cup is quite deeply cut in the frame. I needed to use some spacers from the toolbox.
    The cable routing is within tubes glued inside the frame, with a Y to allow the rear brake to be fitted to the left or right side of the bars. Generally it’s pretty good, but the rear mech cable and rear brake cable go under the BB, where a fair bit of slack is required to loop around at suspension bottom out. The cables aren’t so snug in the tubes, so I have added a couple of cables ties to stop that excess being pulled up to the bars. The rear brake hose also needs some slack to allow for the chainstay and seatstay to open up through suspension compression. Here there is a small bolted clamp to keep the hose in place.
    The front face of the ISCG mount is only just proud of the swingarm. I added a couple of washers to add a little clearance.
    The 37mm seatclamp is not so common. I don’t like the bulky hope design, but found one from Nukeproof in the right colour.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Premier Icon joebristol

If I decided to go 29er instead of 650b for my full suss this would be very high on the list – in this colour too. Looks great!

Currently on an Aether 7 so a similar aim to be a decent all rounder with relatively short chainstays to keep it playful.

How does it ride – and any idea what it weighs?

Premier Icon Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Those are build notes! You’ve made no reference to the first ride or how it behaves at all.

Nevertheless your build notes are useful, since I have one of these hanging in the garage being slowly built.

Premier Icon PrinceJohn

How tall are you if that’s an XL?

Premier Icon the00
    Free Member

Spent more time building it than riding it… I guess ride impressions to follow because all I know so far is saddle was a bit high, fork needed a token, and shock a little less rebound. It’s my first full-sus in a while, so it will take some adjustment and time to get used to. It wasn’t a huge difference from my Cotic. The shorter stays weren’t immediately off-putting. The lower BB was noticable (especially when getting wet feet riding through puddles). I have the bars 20mm higher, and will experiment with that a bit.
    Weight is 31lbs according to the bathroom scales.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1

Lovely. Are you selling the solaris max?  Dibs!

Free Member

Thats a good weight if accurate.

Mine is a ML and I think my build will come out heavier – I’m expecting 32-33lbs.

Premier Icon joebristol

I was expecting these to generally be a bit lighter than my Aether 7…..which weighs 32lbs in its current build. That’s Lyriks / Code R’s / bashguide / XT 12 speed – although wearing carbon X1 GXP cranks / Hope hubs with XM481 rims / carbon handlebars / 180mm OneUp dropper. Size medium.

I think I’d read the C frame was 300g lighter than the A frame and mine has a reasonably heavy build. If I swapped to Pikes and lighter wheels I can easily dip below 31lbs. Just the like and a lighter front wheel (off my other bike) hit 31lbs pretty much bang on.

I’m tempted to get a Pike Ultimate and a set of light hubs and carbon rims when I have a bit of cash to spend to get close to 30lbs.

Premier Icon scuttler

Spent more time building it than riding it

First ride looks a bit more comprehensive than a spin down the local singletrack… Nice!!

Premier Icon the00
    Free Member

My Solaris was about 29lbs, but with lighter tyres, and all other parts were moved across, so 30-31lbs sounds about right for mine. I acknowledge that bathroom scales will not give a very accurate measurement. I didn’t have any good scales for weighing the bare frame.

I’m 6’3″ and have the saddle at 82-84cm from BB centre to top.

Free Member

I was expecting these to generally be a bit lighter than my Aether 7

Its not an especially light carbon frame and its a 29er. (Nor is it especially heavy either). By the time you’re wearing proper rubber it all mounts up. I reckon on adding 1.5 to 2lbs to a comparably specced 29er over 27.5.

If I swapped to Pikes and lighter wheels I can easily dip below 31lbs.

I’m sure, but I weight 92kg. My 36 is both stiffer and better performing than my old Pike, even though its roughly 200g heavier, its more appropriate to my mass and case-use. I’ve chased weight in the past and all it got me was expensive repair bills and frequent replacement parts.

My Solaris was about 29lbs

My Kingdom Ti vendetta is 32lbs😬

Premier Icon joebristol

Fair – I’m 82kgs with aspirations to be a bit lighter than I am and furiously turbo training to try and help achieve that right now!

If the 9C frame is circa 300g lighter than A version then there’s 0.66 of a lb saving. That’s about the same as going Lyrik to Pike.

Guess it depends what tyres you’re running too – so far I’ve got away with exo casing Maxxis / equivalent in other tyre brands. DD casings quickly up the overall weight.

Premier Icon the00
    Free Member

The 2.6 Mary on the front is snakeskin and has proven quite durable. On the rear I have a 2.5 DD DHF which I am trying without an insert. I am finding exo isn’t strong enough, even with an insert, and Exo+ not noticeably better. I think I need to be more careful with making sure pressures are correct (high enough).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.