• This topic has 22 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New Bike Day
  • Alex

Start with this a month ago:

Ibis Mojo4 build

Ibis Mojo4 build

End up with this:

Ibis Mojo4 build

Ibis Mojo4 build

First proper ride last night

First ride of the "Prince of Grayness"

It’s an Ibis Mojo4. My first (and maybe fav bike ever) Ibis was the Mojo3. Looking back it was a bit short, but we didn’t know any better in 2017 😉 This new one is over 40mm longer (front centre) and it still doesn’t feel big. Also it’s over 1.5 slacker and has the updated linkage/bushings found on RipMo and Ripley.

Of which I have both. I won’t be keeping all three. This build is using my original Mojo3 41mm external carbon rims/2.6 tyres/Full XT/Pike Ultimate 37mm offset. Even managed to get a 210mm dropper in there. Weighs in at just over 30lb. Could take a 1lb off with a lighter wheelset.

Alex

Everything I’d read said it rode similar to the Ripley. Not my experience – albeit on one new-bike-glasses ride in the dark.

Doesn’t climb quite as well. But DW Link Ibis’s climb brilliantly so it’s still very very good. Downhill, it feels a lot livelier and agile. Might be 27.5 wheels, might be fork offset, might be diff geo – whatever it is, it’s very noticable. I’d say less composed (not in a bad way) and needs to be ridden more.

It also feels tiny even tho it has almost equiv reach to Ripley. Which makes it loads of fun in th tight, twisty trails we have here. I didn’t even hate the DPS shock (the last two I’ve had no luck with) and the traction tune. So very low compression damping, quick-ish rebound.

Need to ride it loads more before forming a proper opinion. Conditions were great last night, so any bike would have been a boat load of fun. Initial impression tho are it is different enough from the Ripley to make it an interesting choice which one to keep.

muggomagic

Looks great. Always a big fan of the look of the Mojo frames especially that blue HD3. I think these new ones look really good too.

Which of the other 2 Ibis is likely to be heading out the door?
    Edit: Just saw that it’s between this and the Ripley. That’s a tough choice. I guess you can always sell the Ripley and buy the next gen Ripley when they update it to the same geo as the Alu version.

Alex

I’m defo keeping the V1 RipMo. I can’t see any point – to me – switching to the V2. So it’ll be the Ripley that will go, unless I decide I prefer it to the Mojo4.

That Ripley should be perfect for 90% of what I ride. But I’ve never quite gelled with it the way I did with the RipMo. It’s a nice build as well. Obviously the issue is with the rider 😉

I don’t need to sell any of them. But I don’t like bikes not being used and there is no way I can ride all three of them regularly! So I expect early summer, one’ll be heading for pastures new. I’ll keep all the nice parts tho as I know what I’m like. I’ll buy something else on a whim!

Alex

Just saw that it’s between this and the Ripley. That’s a tough choice. I guess you can always sell the Ripley and buy the next gen Ripley when they update it to the same geo as the Alu version.

I really wish you hadn’t put that idea into my head !

DezB
    Free Member

That sure is perty. All that carbon and still over 30lb? Surprising. Still, very nice.

muggomagic

I really wish you hadn’t put that idea into my head !

Ha. Sorry about that. I’m sure by the time the next gen Ripley is out you’ll be ready for a new bike anyway.

I keep looking at the Ripley AF frames and thinking I could buy that and use the parts from my hardtail for a short travel bike and then switch them back to the HT come winter. I’m almost grateful that there is nothing in stock atm.

Alex

Ha. Sorry about that. I’m sure by the time the next gen Ripley is out you’ll be ready for a new bike anyway.

This is true 🙂

In terms of stock, that’s the last one (cancelled order) in the UK until November earliest!

@DezB
    –  I was a bit, the frame with shock is 6.06lbs. There’s nothing really heavy on there in terms of most of the build. But those 2.6 tyres on bombproof rims/hubs are the heavy part. I’d like to try it on some 30mm internals and maybe a pair of 2.4 Maxxis DIssectors. I

It doesn’t feel heavy tho. I think my Ripley is maybe a lb lighter. But my HT is heavier and I’ve been riding that all winter.

nickc

Nice looking bike, not sure about the colour mind (although I’ll bet it looks better IRL) Schwalbe though….

Daffy

That’s a applaudably nice build. Well done.

Alex

Nick – it does look better, but I think I’d still prefer the blue. But not enough to wait until November for one tho. I like Schwalbe tyres – that pairing is what’s on the full builds. I’m still not convinced tho that 2.6s are needed tho. Like I say I’d love to try narrower rims and 2.4 tyres.

@daffy
    – thanks. Mate built it, I’m useless. There’s a few lovely touches like shimming out the BB with narrower spacers than standard so I could run the 32T Oval (that Ibis say won’t work). I am totally sold on Shimano 12 speed and the EV integration.

stanley

Looks great!
    I’ve recently been looking for a shortish travel ripper. I was put off the Ripley as, mentioned above, the carbon one will clearly be updated to match the latest AF version in the very near future.
    I eventually settles on a SC Tallboy. First ride today 🙂

Alex

There’s some good vids on YT comparing TallBoy to Ripley and 5010 to Mojo. Seems to suggest all great bikes but SC’s edge it on the downs and Ibis’s on the ups.

I’m not sure what it is on the Ripley that didn’t make me love it as much as I expected too. It’s super efficient, well balanced, adequately slack, etc. But I dunno, it left me a bit cold.

I will try and ride them back to back on the same trails. Only way to tell really.

stanley

Hi Alex,
    I think I’ve watched them all many times over!
    First ride on the SC went well. With minimal time spent setting the suspension up, it already flies down the descents. Really precise and accurate.
    I went up some of my “test climbs”… cleared them all without the front wandering too much, and not a single pedal strike. Can’t comment on efficiency, although it felt good!

I think I would have been happy on most of these bikes although test rides are few and far between these days. Very hard to actually buy some of these bikes this year!

Alex

Good new @stanley.  Glad you like it 🙂

Another ride on mine today. Did a couple of the big gap jumps that normally require me to suspend belief in the consequences of getting it wrong 😉 Definitely getting used to it.

It’s putting a big grin on my face. But you know, bikes, dry trails, skiving off on a Friday. So lots more riding to do before forming any proper conclusions.

twonks

Hi Alex.

Had to look for this thread after seeing the new toy on Strava. 🤣

Interesting that you are probably leaving the ripley. Despite not even getting my Ripmo out of the house for months, I don’t think it will ever get sold.

Sure for 80% or more of the rides I do, a Ripley would be ‘better’ but there is something about having a big ish bike that puts a smile on your face like no other – normally when it has just got you down/over something you really had no right to. 😂

And with fatter tyred hard tails making light work of mid to longer rides that used to be taken on 100mm ish full suss bikes 10 to 15 yrs ago, maybe the Ripley just doesn’t induce as many smiles.

Whatever bike you part with, somebody else will get a great ride so it’s by no means a negative.

Alex

Hi Adam 🙂 My logic – if you can call it that – was that the Ripley would be like the RipMo only lighter, a bit more engaging on less steep trails and a bit more fun on the twisty stuff we have on our doorstep. Problem was every time I rode the RipMo on those trails, I thought it was the better bike. Even hoiking it back up hill as it’s built pretty burly for good times on rocky and steep trails.

I still can’t quite put my finger on why the Ripley wasn’t doing it for me. It gets great reviews everywhere. And if you’d bet me “you’ll buy another 27.5 bike” a year ago, I’d have taken your money 🙂

We’ll see how we get on. I’m long enough in the tooth to know what new bike glasses feel like. Had far too many false dawns. Big ride tomorrow on trails I’ve ridden Ripley and RipMo on many times, so it’ll be a great test.

I wrote something about this last night. But warnings up front a) I’d had quite a lot of beer and b) that might explain why it’s profanity laced from the first paragraph! https://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=4797

davosaurusrex

Nice bike Alex and really enjoyed the review – honest, relatable and quite funny too! Lovely stuff

Alex

Thanks 🙂 I’ll try and write a proper one once I’ve ridden it a bit more.

I’m hoping to sort of the logistics of riding the Mojo and the Ripley back to back on the same trails. Might even time the climb/descent – not that I’m really bothered about that. It’s all about which one is more ‘fun’.

matt_outandabout

I like the colour of that. Noice.

Alex

IMG_5432

Well it’s definitely a keeper. 90km this week (some of which is road riding to get to the steeper trails) and it’s not put a foot wrong. Been tweaking suspension but mostly air pressure. It feels super balanced and confident. Amazing grip from those big tyres.

Rode some stuff that normally gives me pause, but it was all good. Defo reminds me of the Mojo3 I used to have. Same amount of involving, quite a bit more capable.

Defo need to ride it back to back with the Ripley. But I think that’s going to wait a few weeks 🙂

rhayter

Mmmm. That looks really good! Particularly happy with your choice of saddle colour. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Alex

Particularly happy with your choice of saddle colour

Straight out of the spares box! That and the wheels (from my original Mojo) are the only not new components. Which wasn’t the original plan 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Day’ is closed to new replies.