Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New backdoor -Please help
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

We need a new backdoor as the current wooden one is knackered. We’d prefer a PVC door, but money’s a bit tight. I’m also a bit nervous about attempting it myself so will probably need to get someone in to do it. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? If it makes any difference we’re in Witney, Oxfordshire. Thanks in advance.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Anyone?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Please, please tell us it was kicked in…?!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Beat me to it 🙂

JEngledow
    Free Member

Sorry but no 😐

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As for the OP – assuming it is a standard size door then a new one will be cheap and easy to fit. If it is wood-framed now then simply buy a new hardwood door – it should take someone with reasonable skills and the correct kit about 3 to 5 hours to cut out the hinges, lock etc and hang it.

If it is already UPV-framed then a new door should just drop in.

If your skills aren't up to it I reckon a decent joiner would supply and fix a door for about £500.

JEngledow
    Free Member

MF, its currently a wooden door and frame, but the frame's as shagged as the door and the whole lot needs replacing (if it was just the door I'd be tempted to do it myself, but I don't fancy ballsing up the frame!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ahh right. In our case (new frame and door) it cost us around £1k for a new custom frame to fit the opening (with glass skylight over) coupled with an off-the-shelf door (all oak).

Talkemada
    Free Member

Is your name J Engledow, or Jengledow?

I quite like the idea of it spelt the other way round.

Wodelgnej.

'What's your name please Sir?'

'Wodelgnej'.

'Oh, er, how do you spell that?'

'How do you think it's spelt? Are you a racist??'

'Erm, no sir, it's just that..'

'Bloody typical. And I suppose you think they should all be sent back where they come from, eh? Well, I'm not standing in a by-election for this. I shall take my custom elsewhere. And I shall report you to the Council.'

'Would you like the 3-year extended warranty Sir?'

JEngledow
    Free Member

Are you ok there Talkemada? Would you like us to call anyone for you?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Wibble.

Chookbooroo!

Brm brm…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Gosh. A thread containing so much useless beauty amid all the information. 🙂

lowey

UPVC would be your best bet. Just measure the structural opening, phone 3 or 4 upvc fabricators and buy it yourself. They are a doddle to fit assuming your opening is square. You just need a few hammer fixings, a drill and a masonry bit, some expanding foam and some silicone seal.

Easy job.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New backdoor -Please help’ is closed to new replies.