Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • Never ridden a full suspension
  • bigjim

I rode a hardtail for 15 years, then got a full susser in 2008. I miss things about the hardtail like being able to stand up and hammer the pedals and get that instant boost of speed through the trees, but now that I’m old I like the edge taken off the bumps. I can ride over stuff at a speed that would have rattled my eyeballs out on the hardtail quite happily on the full susser. I miss the lightness and flickability of the hardtail rear end though. Ideally I’d like both, a hardtail for trail centres and a full susser for rockier natural stuff.

donsimon
    Free Member

Don – there are plenty of climbs by me that I could not do on my HT and I could on my FS when I had both.

But I’m not riding there, am I? Remember I said that a full suss would not suit my style of riding and not there wasn’t room for full sussers in the market. Round here and for me a full susser wouldn’t be worth it. Then all the full suss riders started getting precious…

chakaping
    Free Member

Best thing is to try one and see if you like it I reckon.

If you haven’t already lost the will to live after reading the responses to your query that is.

flow
    Free Member

But I’m not riding there, am I?

If you mainly ride nice smooth routes then I’m sure your HT will be better, not for anything else it won’t be though, uneducated fool!

fergal
    Free Member

Total agreement random, the myth that a FS will trancend the need for good bike handling skills when the trail gets all pete tong is beyond me.

put a eunuch on a FS still merde i’m afraid, possibly a trip to A&E if they are feeling brave.

mogrim

FS is faster than HT downhill.

That, apparently, is a Good Thing. I disagree. Unless you’re racing, most of us presumably go riding for fun and/or fitness. Most of us, too, are limited by ability and not by our bikes – I’m betting that Peat, Atherton and co. would be able to ride the same course, though slower, on HTs as well as FSs. So is going faster the same as having more fun? Seems unlikely – there’s as much satisfaction in cleaning a difficult run on one type of bike as the other.

Climbing is supposedly easier on a FS: again, I suspect the limiting factor is the rider, not the bike. If you can’t make it up a climb without dabbing on a HT, but you can on a FS, the problem is almost certainly you!

To the OP: get one, then in 4-5 years time when you fancy a change get something else. I had one, then went back to HT. Now I fancy getting another FS. Can’t afford one at the mo, unfortunately 🙁

fergal
    Free Member

Just to clarify if you ride trails as smooth as a babies bottom, you will see little difference, this is why my local trails the Cheviots i choose a Hardtail, 70% of my riding time, but obviously you will still be faster on the descents on a FS, the other 30% is spent in the badlands of Ecosse and the Lakes keeping it real.

molgrips
    Free Member

So is going faster the same as having more fun?

Depends. I quite like speed 🙂

Whether or not you will like a FS depends on tons of factors, too many for us to decide. And far too many for the pillocks on here to say ‘it’s better/no it’s not’

flow
    Free Member

Errr, since when has going slow been more fun than going fast?

Seriously, WTF!!!

godzilla
    Free Member

I didn’t know what i was missing, Im very glad i went and got a FS, most of my mates are converted now, i cant see them going back. I love bombing down hill and and getting the thing in the air and for me and my riding style it feels ace. When i first got it i planned on keeping both bikes but sold the HT as i just stopped using it. I never find my FS heavy (it is) .
    Try it you may like it.

fergal
    Free Member

flow if that was aimed at me, i feel totaly overbiked in the Cheviots on my big bike, a FS will be faster but not by much, plus the climbs being grassy are easier on the hardtail being lighter comprende!

flow
    Free Member

Not you mate, Mogrim, you are talking sense.

donsimon
    Free Member

So we go from

OMG where can I get one of these incredible machines that can ride over ALL obstacles?! Cos last time I was on my FS I had to steer around all sorts of boulders and trees and things,

to

Just to clarify if you ride trails as smooth as a babies bottom,

Nothing inbetween?

Errr, since when has going slow been more fun than going fast?

Seriously, WTF!!!
    Horses for courses my intellectually challenged friend, not everyone thinks in the same way as you, which is probably a good thing.

flow
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour and stop talking utter shite, you are making yourself look like a fool.

donsimon
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour and stop talking utter shite, you are making yourself look like a fool.

Should you really be up so late on a school night?

flow
    Free Member

Should you really be up so late on a school night?

Nope, but your mums round and we all know what she’s like 😉

rp16v
    Free Member

personaly iv always riden hardtails iv tested around 7/8 full sussers on week loans/mates rides to see if it benifits me but the way i ride just douse not work with any full suss setups iv tried so im quite happy to keep hammering hardtails.

donsimon
    Free Member

You crazy fool, rp16v. 8)

flow
    Free Member

rp16v good for you, at least you tried some before you decided, unlike dip shit up there.

singlespeedstu

Just ride whatever you want.
    No one else* cares.

*apart from people that it has nothing to do with.

Euro
    Free Member

Hammy, the very fact that you’re contemplating a FS bike means that fairly soon you will own one. 😉

Once you’re used to how it rides (anyone who’s ridden both HT and FS will tell you that there’s a bit to learn to get the most from one), it will most likely give you the confidence to tackle rough stuff you’re familiar with faster, or push you to have a go at something more challenging. Be prepared to seek out new stuff to ride – the bike will likely cause this too. You should have a heap of fun on it.

Let us know how you get on.

donsimon
    Free Member

unlike dip shit up there.

*waves*

singlespeedstu – Member

Just ride whatever you want.
    No one else cares.
    Apparently flow does and I must say I’m slowly being brought around with the depth of thought and compelling arguments he’s putting forward. 😆

randomjeremy
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham
    I’ll be at Erlestoke 12 next Saturday and I’ll be aiming to reach 65km/h down that long chalk track on a hardtail 29er. I’ll post the GPS evidence here afterwards. I challenge anyone, on any bike, to post evidence that they went faster.

I need to meet this guy

transapp
    Free Member

**** me, it was a simple question from the OP! Grow up children!

I’ve ridden completly rigid in the 90’s, then after a long time off, back on the same Orange Clockwork until about 2 years ago where I got a race type aluminium hardtail with 100mm of travel. Now I’ve got myself a Giant Anthem X1 and I love it. Is it quicker? Uphill it’s my legs holding me back, not the bike, however I do find the full sus will take rocks / roots etc and allow me to keep peddling well. I guess in this it helps me clear the tougher sections of uphills. Downhill, yes I think it’s quicker. If, as midlandtrailquest is challanging (and I’ll take him up on it) it’s a relativly smooth piece of chalk downhill, there will be nothing in it, however as it gets steep and properly technical, then the full sus will make it faster (which I prefer).
    Is full sus better? No. Is HT better? No. Is fully rigid better? No.
    It’s all about the choices. I’m happy with mine, that’s it really!

flow
    Free Member

I couldn’t give a shit what you ride, or how slow you enjoy riding it, hence why I told you to stop talking utter shite about something you evidently know nothing about.

donsimon
    Free Member

Well that’s sorted then. You couldn’t give a shit. 😆

mogrim

Euro – Member
    Hammy, the very fact that you’re contemplating a FS bike means that fairly soon you will own one.

This.

I usually ride bikes in a loop, starting and ending at the same point, on a Sunday morning. There’s no inherent sense to it, I do it for fun, and when I got my Kobe I thought having a HT would be the best way to get it. Same as when I got the FSR before that. Next bike will probably be a FS. I’ll still be riding loops, and still having fun. I might be a bit faster on the downhill, maybe a little slower on the flats, and who knows when it comes to the uphill bits?

ilovemygears
    Free Member

I think you made the point perfectly, ill second that, don shut the **** up!

flow
    Free Member

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham
    I’ll be at Erlestoke 12 next Saturday and I’ll be aiming to reach 65km/h down that long chalk track on a hardtail 29er. I’ll post the GPS evidence here afterwards. I challenge anyone, on any bike, to post evidence that they went faster.

I would love to take you up on this offer unfortunately the laws of phsysics dictate that your lardy fat frame will get down hill faster than my lightweight racing snake frame. 😉
    Fs are nice, HT are nice, rigid SS are for sadists [ mine has suspension ]
    If i only had to pick one bike I think I would cry and probably go for a FS even though it gets the least amount of use as it can do everything easier and with more fun that the others.

BadlyWiredDog

Edit – on reflection, I don’t think I want anything to do with this thread 😉

ampthill

If you can’t make it up a climb without dabbing on a HT, but you can on a FS, the problem is almost certainly you!

That applies to me then

But I don’t see how walking up the hill pushing the hard tail will help improove things!

…your lardy fat frame…

I take it you’re referring to my own personal “frame”, not the lightweight titanium loveliness that I will be riding.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Checking the threads on here is like being at work (I work in a prison) Grow up you bunch of children.
    If you like what you ride, ride it. If you don’t, change it. But don’t diss anyone for what, or why they ride what they choose to ride.
    very entertaining to read though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I take it you’re referring to my own personal “frame”, not the lightweight titanium loveliness that I will be riding.

😆
    I meant it as humour but I was worried offence would be taken.
    I was going to suggest that perhaps the map will slow you down but I went for the easier option 😉

mogrim

Checking the threads on here is like being at work (I work in a prison) Grow up you bunch of children.
    If you like what you ride, ride it. If you don’t, change it. But don’t diss anyone for what, or why they ride what they choose to ride.
    very entertaining to read though.

You can f off, you’re a bloody roadie!

😀

hammy7272
    Free Member

Well, well, well…I didn’t expect that!!

Just got back after a game of cricket (I got a duck but won!) 8 beers and a comment from the Mrs saying I like my mates more than her! (oops, i was late!)

I appreciate all the input. This really is a sore subject. I need to try and then I can really get stuck into the debate!

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Aside from the bickering – my take on this …

The KEY word in this is “flow” – FS bikes just flow better – you can really carve a berm or land a jump and keep riding without the jarring feeling that comes with a HT.

I currently ride a HT – and it’s what I’m most ‘used to’ – but I do get a massive grin when I borrow a FS bike and point it down hill.

With a good FS, technical climbing is improved – just imagine grinding up a slow tricky climb, and then – *stopped* as your rear wheel hangs up on a rock… FS lets you keep going as the wheel doesn’t get ‘stopped’.

But the ball-ache comes from the bearing problems, the weird rattles, the loose feeling, the mystery creak, the ‘out of date’ linkage, the none-existant s/h value, the shock service etc etc.

juiced
    Free Member

I like hardtails but I am in the South. RIde fs for DH. Love both really.I would however consider myself a ht rider, who uses FS when I need to (i.e .when a ht is too much of a handful). Love that direct feedback you get from a ht.

Northwind

Is it just me, or has this thread served as an idiot rod? It seems as though the rest of the forum is relatively goon-free.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Never ridden a full suspension’ is closed to new replies.