Home Forums Chat Forum Netflix recommendations

Viewing 40 posts - 3,481 through 3,520 (of 4,132 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • DrJ

Seen Saltburn and now I’m looking forward to the sequel, Pinchinthorpe.

rone

Tongue (slightly) in cheek comment incoming; don’t bother watching it if you have a crappy non-OLED TV, it’s one to save till you are not watching in not-actually-black-murk-o-vision.

Ha ha this so true.

Designed for a dark room with a display that does proper blacks (few). My projector was on overdrive

Nice to see film being used here.  Look at those colours pop!

fasthaggis

I think the story had a ‘talented Mr Ripley” element to it – but twisted it all around a bit to make it more interesting

Aye,and possibly because of Barry Keoghan being the lead,more than a bit of ‘Killing of the Sacred Deer ‘ going on as well.

rone

Aye,and possibly because of Barry Keoghan being the lead,more than a bit of ‘Killing of the Sacred Deer ‘ going on as well

That was hard work to watch but good.

CheesybeanZ

We watched Hell or High Water with Jeff Bridges as an aging Texas ranger .👍🏻

fasthaggis

Yup,great movie.
    All the main players are excellent.

rone

We watched Hell or High Water with Jeff Bridges as an aging Texas ranger

Excellent Taylor Sheridan film

Check out Wind River too (and his whole paramount output Yellowstone, 1883.)

Not forgetting Sicario.

fingerbang
    Free Member

It’s from 2019 I know but really enjoyed ‘unbelievable’ on ‘netflix. It’s a true story serial rape police procedural. Toni Collette is excellent.

Also has several Justified alumni including the superb Kaitlyn Devers

It’s also a ‘limited’ series which means it’s not too demanding (aside from the subject matter) and overstays it’s welcome

timba
    Free Member

BBC i-thingy: Men Up

Excellent cast, funny moments, sad moments, but a great (true) dramatisation

I’m tempted to add that it’s a hard watch, but it really isn’t :)

DrJ

I watched Saltburn and it was entertaining enough at the time but actually found it pretty vacuous (vacant?) in hindsight. So much so I don’t know what it was trying to say other than here’s some dodgy scenes that might shock or titillate you

This. Absolute pile of pants. Beginning with the amusing fiction that there are girls at Oxford and descending rapidly into absurdity. Who exactly was Farleigh , and what was the point of the Carey Mulligan character? And the ending had more holes in it than my socks.

In contrast, I watched Killers of the Flower Moon last night and loved it. I was not expecting to make it through in one sitting – 3 1/2 hours is more than enough for my bladder to beg for mercy – but I was engrossed from beginning to end.

Klunk
    Free Member

Killers of the Flower Moon

glacially slow! so bored by 1 half hours of diabetes and poison and tedium of  the bleeding obvious bad guys had to turn off. so glad I didn’t waste another **** 2 hrs on that dirge. Wonder how the pitch meeting went when someone suggested that what we’re missing is a take on the council of elrond :?

Kryton57

High Water with Jeff Bridges

I’ve enjoyed that this afternoon, and have a new/better appreciation for Chris Pine as an actor.  Thanks.

Klunk
    Free Member

tried watching Ricky Gervais Armageddon the other day, good god he’s turned into the arch pub bore.

sirromj

Watched saltburn and felt like I’d been made a mug by those on here giving it praise! Some of the reveals at the end were totally unnecessary. Can agreed with the comment about kudos to the cast for the twisted scenes I guess, just didn’t enjoy it much, wont watch again. Spent too much of the film thinking he looks too old (until the end when he didn’t.

rone

I’m loving how Saltburn divides opinion!

I definitely think the director was pressing our buttons.

tried watching Ricky Gervais Armageddon the other day, good god he’s turned into the arch pub bore

Yes he’s not realised his own trajectory here. But I guess whilst he’s got an audience…

His lazy humour is simply now built around how far can he push this line and then back it up with a pseudo-intellectual stance about how being offended should never be an issue. And it makes you the problem.

I simply wish he would get a different line of logic.

He’s no different than the likes of Bernard Manning now but uses weak arguments to insult your intelligence about humour.

That said I did laugh a few times. But the shows are all the same.

I think After Life suffers the same – first series moving and funny. The other two were just rough.

He’s a good writer and can do better than this

thols2

tried watching Ricky Gervais Armageddon the other day, good god he’s turned into the arch pub bore

The Office and Extras were excellent. I tried After Life and just gave up. I just don’t bother with him anymore, I just don’t find him funny.

john_l
    Free Member

Los Farads on Prime is really enjoyable. Spanish family arms dealing drama series set in the ’80s.

Watty

Documentary? Squaring the Circle by Anton Corbijn, the story of Hipgnosis and their album covers. Flixynet.

DrJ

I definitely think the director was pressing our buttons.

I had the impression she was pressing her own button a bit too much.

teenrat

I really enjoyed the ‘Bank of Dave’.   Although embelished for the film, the story behind it is heartwarming and gives you a lift.

pisco

I enjoyed Saltburn; gorgeous cinematography and well cast with some great performances, Barry Keogh superb as usual. 

Watty

I enjoyed Saltburn

Me too, mainly because it wasn’t the film I expected it to be. Flawed it certainly is, but good fun nonetheless.

seadog101

Anybody else watched Last Stop Larrimah?
    Brilliantly filmed documentary about the people, and a missing person, in a middle of nowhere town in the Aussie outback.
    The “town” in question has 11 residents. The interpersonal tensions are fascinating…. And scary.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Just rewatched Little Big Man (1970) with Dustin Hoffman, on Prime. Still a great film imho.

crazy-legs

I’ve just started watching Fool Me Once, a crime thriller. Very good indeed.

nicko74

We started on Poker Face (Sky/ Now) last night. Only an hour in so far, but it’s moderately fun – not hugely dissimilar to Russian Doll, and not (yet) quite as funny, but we’ll be watching more.

desperatebicycle

Her first film was like that. Critics raved about it, but I thought it was mildly entertaining, had it’s moments but mostly a missed opportunity to really have a go at toxic masculinity. (Promising Young Woman, that is)

I was quite surprised how little I actually laughed out loud at RG: Armageddon. Was all a bit obvious.

Still not found anything to drag me away from slogging through Orange is the New Black.

Society of the Snow looks to be pretty decent. Out in a few days

chakaping

We started on Poker Face (Sky/ Now) last night. Only an hour in so far, but it’s moderately fun – not hugely dissimilar to Russian Doll, and not (yet) quite as funny, but we’ll be watching more.

I don’t think it’s supposed to be so funny, just a light bit of nostalgic TV drama – modelled on those 70s and 80s one-hour dramas where the protagonist wanders from town to town solving crimes.

Moderately fun and comfortable, as you say. I really enjoyed it.

thols2

What chakaping said. It’s a 70s style case of the week show with the hero wandering from town to town, meeting new people every episode. Well made, good cast, entertaining.

uggski

Enjoying Mayor Of Kingstown at the moment. 

toby1

Yellowjackets (a Mix of Now/Paramount, sorry). REALLY late to this, but a grim story line played with humour and some fun/cringe/shock. Decent cast and good music too.

Saltburn, I didn’t hate it, but I’d not recommend it to a friend, or someone I disliked for that matter!

rone

Enjoying Mayor Of Kingstown at the moment. 

I think this series is stunningly good.

Probably the grimmest thing I’ve seen on TV. The dialogue and slang feels super authentic and takes some following.

Probably stretches reality but I definitely buy into the world that has been created .

It was Taylor Sheridan’s first script – before Yellowstone obviously.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’ve just started watching Fool Me Once, a crime thriller. Very good indeed.

I’ve just finished reading the book – where is it on?

rone

Her first film was like that. Critics raved about it, but I thought it was mildly entertaining, had it’s moments but mostly a missed opportunity to really have a go at toxic masculinity. (Promising Young Woman, that is)

PYW was excellent. A true genre/tonal twister with a bonkers ending.

It got an Oscar for the screenplay I think.

desperatebicycle

Yeah, I know. I just felt there was something missing.

anyway, came here to say The Tourist on bbc, series 2.. Its got Wayne out of Wayne in it! Awesome 😁

ready

Watched a few over the festive break.
    Pig – Nicholas Cage has his truffle hunting Pig stolen, and wants it back.  Not as mental as it sounds, and is excellent!    9/10
    Paradise – A slightly futuristic German film.  Not bad, worth a watch.   6.5/10
    Finally got to watch Submarine, Richard Ayoades directorial debut film from 2010.  Absolutely Superb!    10/10

crazy-legs

I’ve just finished reading the book – where is it on?

.@gauss1777 – Netflix.
    It was all filmed local to me. The posh mansion is Arley Hall in Bollington, the main house is in Alderley Edge and there are scenes in Delamere Forest and a couple of other Cheshire villages, I recognised a few of the roads.

ossify

Pig – Nicholas Cage has his truffle hunting Pig stolen, and wants it back.  Not as mental as it sounds, and is excellent!

It’s good? I saw the trailer a while back and it didn’t excite me… You make it sound like John Wick (and with probably about the same acting ability from both main leads) 🤣

ready

I was expecting some guns/violence but there’s actually very little.  Just a very good film.  I won’t say anymore because I don’t want to spoil it!

desperatebicycle

I watched Pig a while ago. It was alright. Nic Cage is quite un-Nic Cage-like in it. I think that was it’s main selling point.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,481 through 3,520 (of 4,132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.