Home Forums Chat Forum Netflix recommendations

Viewing 40 posts - 3,401 through 3,440 (of 4,132 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

New Fargo is brilliant but annoyingly it’s being drip fed on prime so I’ve had to renew my subscription

Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jon Hamm FFS

Although the scene from 1700s Wales went over my head, I’ll have to rewatch

fingerbang
    Free Member

Late to the party but just finished ‘mindhunter’ on Netflix after being on my watch list for years
    I’m gonna say ‘meh’. The music was good and some of the montage editing sequences were enjoyable, and I liked the bill tench character but it suffered from being unfinished like Deadwood. And a flat, possibly on the spectrum lead character is uninspired. Plus you knew they weren’t going to catch BTK in 1980.

Crazy that bill tench’s wife is Tim’s love interest in the Office UK. You’ll never guess

crazy-legs

I’ve watched the first 2 episodes of Pine Gap – sort of spy/political drama set in Australia.

Seems good so far although I note that Netflix cancelled it after only one series.

DrJ

Lessons in Chemistry is also very good.

Seconded.

martinhutch

Justified:city primeval

Is that like normal Justified but with dinosaurs added? Sounds good.

nicko74

Is anyone else finding they have to have subtitles on to hear the dialog clearly now?

Not quite, but it’s a real hassle – I basically have to adjust the volume on the fly depending on whether it’s dialogue or bang/ crash type stuff. Hoping a decent soundbar will help with it

thols2

a flat, possibly on the spectrum lead character is uninspired.

The whole point of his character was that he was on the spectrum.

desperatebicycle

Agree with new Fargo recommend. My perfect type of TV. I even like the weekly releases (it comes out on Tuesdays). Perfect blend of tension, humour and violence. MORE!

Anyone watched Leave The World Behind ? Great cast, decent story line (interestingly, executive produced by the Obamas… “Vote for him again and this could happen?!”) I liked it.

somafunk

Anyone watched Leave The World Behind

Thought the storyline was innovative but the last 30 min was a letdown, they run out of ideas.

matt_outandabout

Having missed it when it came out, I have just started on Deutschland 83 on Ch4. Very good so far.

chakaping

Anyone watched Leave The World Behind

Keen to try this, may save it for Xmas tho.

Dunno how new this is, but I set up ITV X the other day and have watched a few episodes of the Alan Carr sitcom Changing Ends. It’s really nicely done, warm and funny. Recommended.

They also now have my all-time fave comedy 30 Rock.

desperatebicycle

Thought the storyline was innovative but the last 30 min was a letdown, they run out of ideas

(hopefully not too spoilery :) )
    I spent the last 30 mins thinking how are they going to save this?? I like the ending how it was… Worked for me.

kilo

Watching series 2 of Hidden Assets on BBC iplayer, pretty good so far.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Blue Eye Samurai is an absolute masterpiece, completely enthralled by it…

nickc

they run out of ideas.

In the book that its based on; what’s going on in wider world isn’t explicitly detailed, so I guess whatever the film makers decided to do, they wrote themselves. Waiting for Xmas to watch it along with MayDecember

rone

Mostly enjoyed Leave the World behind – it was uneven for me. Talky stuff spliced with octane stuff didn’t always balance out for me, though it had a nice ring of suspense to it.  Ethan Hawke’s character was oddly bland.
    Some great camera work and lighting. Produced by the Obamas.

It reminded me of Melancholia – which is a much stronger entry to the ‘weird-apocolypse-vibe’ genre. Also not disimilar to Cabin at the End of the World, which I enjoyed too – also in that genre.

desperatebicycle

Agree with much of the, rone :)

Ethan Hawke’s character was oddly bland.

Weirdest bit was when the girl said things must come easy to him, like women.. er why would that have ever crossed her mind!?

rone

Yeah, that whole scene was just odd, and could have been snipped.

edhornby

MattOAB – drink it in, it’s a stunning series and 86 and 89 are brilliant also

If you like that then I’ll bet you’ll like The Lives Of Others but leave that for another time separate to the series’ because it’s a similar topic

I’m doing slow horses catch-up, very good

martinhutch

it was uneven for me.

Definitely. Felt like it needed to lead up to some kind of reveal, but that never arrived. Too many relaxed and jolly chit-chats between characters at points when you felt most sane people would have been in a state of utter panic or despair.

Enjoying Fargo though, back on form, all the leads are great.

Gilles

I think “Leave the World behind” needs a second viewing – I’m sure there were some clever stuff I missed.

zilog6128

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet but I really enjoyed Obliterated. Starts off very cliched-special-forces-team style stuff but very shortly there’s a pretty interesting twist 😃 I found it pretty LoL funny as well in parts. Plus it’s a limited series so you can watch it without committing half your life to it which is a big plus for me these days!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Fall of the house of usher was really good

Snoozefest.

I find I don’t get any sense of creeping dread with it whatsoever, I just want all the hateable smug twonks to get dead and hurry up with it. Annoyingly, it has moments of being quite good, just not enough by a long way.

“Ooo, a sex party and everyone swears a lot. Edgy.”

I’m not really rating it.

Maybe, part of the problem is that Succession already exists.

Criminal Code is not bad, I prefer English subs rather than dubbed, the voice actors aren’t very good at all. 

johnx2
    Free Member

Fall of the house of usher was really good

Snoozefest.

I find I don’t get any sense of creeping dread

Agree. Watched a few as run out other stuff but given up bored. I don’t mind nasty characters but they need to engage on some level and these just don’t.

Anyway started Reservation Dogs (disney I think?) and its good – well conceived and acted, and quite funny.

Kryton57

I think “Leave the World behind” needs a second viewing – I’m sure there were some clever stuff I missed.

I’d watch it again, although it triggered my paranoia and anxiety big time, more so because my wife and kids where away from home all in separate locations at the time of viewing.   Even worse, yesterday whilst riding I had to pause at the front of traffic to let a herd – likely more than 100 – of Deer across the road, yes really!

muddy@rseguy

Rather enjoyed the latest season of Bosch:Legacy (hidden on Amazon Freevee) . Not quite at the level of the last few seasons of Bosch but close enough and  always good to see some of the old/retired cops including Barrel and Crate still making an appearance.

The Devils Hour on Amazon Prime was very good indeed (bit a surprise find)

“Bodies” on Netflix was good fun, even if could get a bit hammy at times.

Agree with others that the real disappointment this year has been the Fall of the House of Usher…got three episodes in and gave up after having to endure the “Diet Eyes Wide Shut” episode, apparently it does get better from episode 4 onwards but frankly the damage was done and I was left thinking “oh, so they all die. Good”

sirromj

Don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned, but I enjoyed and would recommend Foundation, based (apparently, but I’ve not read them*) on the Isaac Asimov books. No idea how well they align with the books, but some interesting stuff going on.

*unless I tried to read them at a very young age and forgot all about them.

thols2

Anyway started Reservation Dogs (disney I think?) and its good – well conceived and acted, and quite funny.

It was absolutely brilliant.

dmorts

Watched The Killer snd Leave The World Behind. Was disappointed by both, much less so by the latter.

The Killer starts very well then instantly turns into a formulaic, uninteresting, unimaginative “hitman goes after his client for payback” story. It was a waste of Fassbender.

Leave The World Behind. This had my interest throughout. Sometimes bordering on Lost polar bear in the jungle silliness but good overall. The disappointment was the ending. I think they could have made more of the Daughter getting to do what she wanted to do, especially if it had been at the detriment of her family.

DrJ

Probably a bit late to the party, but I’ve been watching Silo. The episode where they repair the rotor reminded me of our house central heating.  I don’t usually like sci-fi but I’ve been enjoying it, and not just because of Rebecca Ferguson.

desperatebicycle

I enjoyed and would recommend Foundation..

Only on AppleTV isn’t it?

Oh, while I’m here! We were struggling to find something to watch for an hour or so last night and I made the mistake of putting on some crap with Marky Mark and Spiderman in it, saw afterwards that it was based on a game, so I should’ve checked. I mean it was almost so bad it was good, hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Avoid unless you enjoy pain, or are 11 years old (exactly). Er, ‘Uncharted’, that was it. Bad jokes, terrible action sequences, generally stupid and laughable.

richardkennerley

As the next series of true detective is about to start, we just realised we’re never watched the 2nd series with Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughan. Started the first ep last night, left a bit unsure about whether you stick with it, didn’t really appeal somehow.

I think mentioned already but went just watched the detectives taking down an ocg on iPlayer, quite captivating viewing

desperatebicycle

the 2nd series with Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughan

Watchable, but definitely the least memorable of the True Detective serieseses. Vaughn’s not quite as miscast as he is in Brawl in Cell Block 99, but its close!

rone

What’s the new True Detective on paramount+ ?

It’s got Jody Foster in I believe.

desperatebicycle

Like the last lot, it’s on Sky. Not sure if Paramount get it too.

dyna-ti

Weirdest bit was when the girl said things must come easy to him, like women.. er why would that have ever crossed her mind!?

It was a reflection on her persona. Earlier we got what was going to be a bit of racist or rather perceived racial commentary which was stopped by her father.  Hence the later scene, “I think he wants to **** me”

She is constantly looking for the worst in everything.

There was too many unanswered questions. What happened to the mother, or when the kid was watching the last episode of Friends, where was the rest of the family. Did she even at that point care.

Why the leaflet drops.

It was a film, but its left the door wide open for a part two.  Or perhaps that was the point. in a cataclysmic event you might not know where or what has happened to family or friends. But theres nothing you can do about it, other than perhaps live in the moment.

vlad_the_invader

Or perhaps that was the point. in a cataclysmic event you might not know where or what has happened to family or friends. But theres nothing you can do about it, other than perhaps live in the moment.

That was the whole point, surely!

rone

Like the last lot, it’s on Sky. Not sure if Paramount get it too.

Ah its HBO so probably nowt then.

dmorts

in a cataclysmic event you might not know where or what has happened to family or friends. But theres nothing you can do about it, other than perhaps live in the moment.

In the car, about to leave Kevin Bacon’s place they were talking about civil breakdown, people changing behaviour and it going everyone for themselves. Hence I thought a better ending would be the daughter deliberately locking herself in the bunker in order to watch the last episode of friends. Perhaps about to leave with supplies for her family, then spotting the DVD collection. Finally a blinding flash of light outside just as the theme to Friends started.

The actual film ending felt like it was decided by a committee, or perhaps someone with more interest in a sequel than a decent conclusion.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,401 through 3,440 (of 4,132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.